Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
As much as we would love ALL THE INFO, this is the right way to communicate this to the "public". Looking forward to updates.
This is shaping up to be a failure that we have seen before. If things prove to be as l expect after my first round of diagnostics, it’ll be a lot less dramatic than first believed. It may be as simple as “another day at the office” for us.

More later.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

This is shaping up to be a failure that we have seen before. If things prove to be as l expect after my first round of diagnostics, it’ll be a lot less dramatic than first believed. It may be as simple as “another day at the office” for us.

More later.
Yes, but does that mean total rebuild or something a lot less expensive?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Yes, but does that mean total rebuild or something a lot less expensive?
No matter the failure, at the minimum level this whole engine is coming apart to facilitate any repair.
The term "rebuild" is really a dirty word here, it does not describe what we do in any way. "Rebuild" means take it apart, clean it up, fix the problem by using the same regimen and components that the factory used. That never happens here.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

No matter the failure, at the minimum level this whole engine is coming apart to facilitate any repair.
The term "rebuild" is really a dirty word here, it does not describe what we do in any way. "Rebuild" means take it apart, clean it up, fix the problem by using the same regimen and components that the factory used. That never happens here.
It has always been my understanding and expectation that If I send an engine to FSI and it is taken apart, then when I get it back it will be better and stronger than before because all the weak links would be addressed, corrected, and longevity improved. According to my budget of course
Old 01-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

"Total rebuild" to me means replace the block and heads; probably a poor choice of words.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

If you replace the block and heads, you’re essentially replacing the engine. That’s not a rebuild at all.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceter
If you replace the block and heads, you’re essentially replacing the engine. That’s not a rebuild at all.
You are right. Sorry, I'm an old Chevy guy. I keep forgetting this is a whole different world. Swapping blocks or heads (especially heads) was fairly common because it didn't add much to the cost. Plus, the big valve heads added quite a lot of performance. My gut feel is I don't really belong here.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Don't worry. I'm an old Ford guy. To me, for it to be called a "rebuild", almost everything EXCEPT for the block and heads should be replaced or machined. If I had a Dollar for every used car I looked at where the owner advertised that the engine had been rebuilt, then could only provide receipts for a new set of gaskets, I could retire.

As for the Bronz' car, Jake's posts are starting to read like a bad detective novel. Let's skip the teasers and cryptic references. It's ok if you don't post until there are actual findings from the teardown.

And I hope Bronz does release Jake to tell us the whole story. I, for one, am extremely interested in what's going on in that engine.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:31 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be interesting to understand the root cause, especially as you may have seen this before. Is it an inherent weakness in the early 91a and something they all are potentially subject to? Or perhaps related to colder temps, oil weight and/or bore scoring? If I recall correctly the OP's car was from the south before moving to the colder north-midwest. We know there are many 997.2 on the forum with well over 100k so trying understand if this is just bad luck, owner maintenance or an engine design issue like the BMW M3s that needed to replace bearings proactively.

More later.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Don't worry. I'm an old Ford guy. To me, for it to be called a "rebuild", almost everything EXCEPT for the block and heads should be replaced or machined. If I had a Dollar for every used car I looked at where the owner advertised that the engine had been rebuilt, then could only provide receipts for a new set of gaskets, I could retire.

As for the Bronz' car, Jake's posts are starting to read like a bad detective novel. Let's skip the teasers and cryptic references. It's ok if you don't post until there are actual findings from the teardown.

And I hope Bronz does release Jake to tell us the whole story. I, for one, am extremely interested in what's going on in that engine
I think that's an opinion shared by many here. As stated previously, this may be the first reported failure of a 9A1 engine on this forum so what happened is obviously of great interest. And I really don't get the secrecy of revealing the causes of the various failures unless it boils down to downright abuse and/or neglect on the owner's part.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:28 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I really don't get the secrecy of revealing
@sandwedge But it's all good, will be fixed better than new and has a clean Carfax, right?

(Sorry to the OP and Flat6 for the OT)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
@sandwedge But it's all good, will be fixed better than new and has a clean Carfax, right?

(Sorry to the OP and Flat6 for the OT)
The old bumper had some minor scratches, Same for the front bumper which not only got resprayed but also got a new clear bra. So yes, both good as new and no Carfax record for reasons I don't know. Close to a trade in deal with a southwest Florida dealership who knows about the bumper jobs. As previously stated, bumpers are considered "bolt on items" and replacement/refurbishments if done right don't reduce the value of the car unless other structural parts are involved. So you keep on flogging me about this while the dealerships I'm talking to don't give two s**ts. Bumpers are refurbished day in and day out with no record so I really don't understand the undertone of your post.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:40 AM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
It would be interesting to understand the root cause, especially as you may have seen this before. Is it an inherent weakness in the early 91a and something they all are potentially subject to? Or perhaps related to colder temps, oil weight and/or bore scoring? If I recall correctly the OP's car was from the south before moving to the colder north-midwest. We know there are many 997.2 on the forum with well over 100k so trying understand if this is just bad luck, owner maintenance or an engine design issue like the BMW M3s that needed to replace bearings proactively.
My wager based on Jake’s latest comment (not said with any mirth or malice at all) is that either a valvetrain component wore out and got strewn all over the engine (scoring some bores and/or oil passages in the process) or that the new theory for why bore scoring disproportionately affects cold climate cars is the case here. This theory postulates that fuel injectors fail first resulting in poor fuel spray patterns that wash away the thin oil film between the pistons and cylinders leading to more scored bores. Now I just hope that we get to know the real diagnosis and some ways to try and prevent it from happening.

Last edited by black997er; 02-01-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by black997er

My wager based on Jake’s latest comment (not said with any mirth or malice at all) is that either a valvetrain component wore out and got strewn all over the engine (scoring some bores and/or oil passages in the process) or that the new theory for why bore scoring disproportionately affects cold climate cars is the case here. This theory postulates that fuel injectors fail first resulting in poor fuel spray patterns that wash away the thin oil film between the pistons and cylinders leading to more scored bores. Now I just hope that we get to know the real diagnosis and some ways to try and prevent it from happening.
I thought bore scoring was not an issue on the 997.2 engine?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I thought bore scoring was not an issue on the 997.2 engine?
It's nowhere as prevalent as in the M96 or Cayenne/Panamera engines, but nonetheless, the 9A1 engine uses the same Alusil process with Ferrostan coated skirts that are susceptible to scoring.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure