Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Unfortunately, I have driven it. It is glorious. I am a tortured soul. I don't know if I could afford it psychologically, especially parking at my work.
But remember your are talking about a 911. You are currently driving one that you know, enjoy and are confident in. Do you really want to gamble perfect happiness for the unknown??? If so, I'd say you overstated your current state of happiness.
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Yea, I should have listened to your advice @groovzilla . Unfortunately I have to learn the hard way. Only cost me $350 for a PPI but worth the education.

@Petza914 at least I'll have more time to appreciate my clear side markers :-) And despite two years refusing to follow the herd, I realized in 2 minutes they do look better...
Old 10-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yea, I should have listened to your advice @groovzilla . Unfortunately I have to learn the hard way. Only cost me $350 for a PPI but worth the education.

@Petza914 at least I'll have more time to appreciate my clear side markers :-) And despite two years refusing to follow the herd, I realized in 2 minutes they do look better...
Adding those is like having a brand new car when you look at it now You can always move them to your S when you get one too.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steph1
But remember your are talking about a 911. You are currently driving one that you know, enjoy and are confident in. Do you really want to gamble perfect happiness for the unknown??? If so, I'd say you overstated your current state of happiness.
Yea, my problem is I like the fixing. Nothing left to fix on my car. Well, I may need a new battery soon but thats boring. I'm waiting for @Wayne Smith to do his suspension refresh.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:11 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Adding those is like having a brand new car when you look at it now You can always move them to your S when you get one too.
Yup. Im also installing sport mode next week. I failed on trying a backdoor code hack it with my indy so had to bite the bullet and buy the code.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Yea, my problem is I like the fixing. Nothing left to fix on my car. Well, I may need a new battery soon but thats boring. I'm waiting for @Wayne Smith to do his suspension refresh.
Get a race car - you’ll have plenty to fix all the time!

I really wanted a 993. Loved the idea of a modern classic with AC and enough features that it makes sense to drive it regularly. Then I sat in one and in a moment my desire vanished. It just didn’t feel right for me, too new to feel vintage/classic yet too dated to feel modern. For many it’s the perfect blend and best air cooled car, but to me it was the uncanny valley. And I already have a weekend car so I wasn’t ready to go much older.

So I got another 997. Quite happy!
ThomasCarreraGTS (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Agree with the others. Good move. I always look for the next car but for the first time I think I'm stuck with the 997. Just perfect in every respect.

As for your battery, have you replaced one before? Maybe I've been unlucky or maybe my cars act up in a different way but I've had two batteries fail on two of my 997's. Both with no warning. Cranked strong the night before and the next morning that ticking sound that brings out the oh s***t. I've heard of others with similar stories. These batteries seem to go from perfectly fine to dead from one hour or even a minute to the next. Sudden death. Just saying in case you have a hunch yours is on its last leg. I lucked out and both of mine failed in my garage but I can think of a lot of worse places to have it happen. Can't remember the model # now but it's about $200 at Wal Mart.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

a bit off topic, but ... I recommend getting a compact jump battery in every car you have.

For $50-70 it's a no brainer. They are very small, and have gotten me out of a jam more than once. Stays charged for months at a time.

I have a couple of these:
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
I didn't go for it. I really think my C2S is a perfect car. The driving conditions in LA are so perilous, I don't know if I would even want to drive a GT3 daily. I totally get why G Wagens and Defenders and such are so popular here. It is like the Camel Trophy Commute to get across the city. I just want to get my car to where it is kind of a 997 Carrera T. Maybe strip some weight off but retain the AC and stereo. Keep it pretty raw/pure but also keep the leather dash and etc., which is the touring aspect. The OEM GT3 suspension and wheels was a big step in that process. I am still in the honeymoon of that 6 months later!!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Hey guys - sorry for the lack of update on this. Work been crazy and the owner of the G50 asked me not to post until he sold the car. Long story short, I decided to pass on it. The owner is an awesome dude and the car was a great driver but my indy didn't feel I would get my money out of it. They know me well and said I would need to spend too much to get it where they knew I would want it to be. Their advice was either start with a car thats got great paint and needs engine work, or vice versa. This car needed a bit of both.
Also after driving it for two days I realized I could not daily an air cooled. My wife and kids thought it was cool, but smelling like oil and having air conditioning that works marginally is fun for a weekend, but not everyday. The biggest issue was the sport bucket seats. I must be getting too fat as it felt like I got a kidney punch in those. I had a wicked ache in my side.
The best part was after getting back in my car it felt like I got an extra 50HP. It also made me appreciate just how good the 997 is. I decided im a 997 guy and will always have one in the garage. I may pickup a C2S if a good one pops up. Unfortunately prices are up and selection is down. I put a bid on one last week on BaT but missed it. I'll get an air cooled to tinker with on the side whenever I get a bigger garage.
See ya, hear ya, feel ya----> Same exact feelings I had for the beautiful Silver/Black 911sc I bought and owned for 2 weeks.
While staring at the 911sc and having it in my garage was awesome, driving it with narrow assed sport seats which felt like high sided box and pre-historic(compared to 997)suspension/brakes and crappy tranny, I had to sell.
Even my 993 felt so much better than the 911sc
Oh well, 997 it is and perhaps 991 in future
Old 12-15-2022, 12:48 AM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad I ran across this thread, it's been an interesting read. I have a lightly modified 944 turbo and a 997.1 C2S, but have considered the idea of swapping the 997 for a G-body 911 at some point (can't afford a 964/993 right now). The 997 is fairly refined, so its not really a car to tinker with or modify beyond exhaust/wheels/stereo in my opinion. I think an air cooled 911 would be "up my alley", and love the looks, sounds, nostalgia, something to work on, etc. As long as prices don't keep going to the moon, I'll have my hands on one eventually.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doyle623
The 997 is fairly refined, so its not really a car to tinker with or modify beyond exhaust/wheels/stereo in my opinion.
LOL - not many parts of my 997 that aren't modified - supercharged engine, race suspension, PCCBs, noselift kit, steering wheel and carvind interior pieces, aero parts, stereo, etc. Every change has made it better than when I bought it. The car does everything fantastically without any compromises, from multi hour highway trips with the cruise set to 90 to exhilarating runs up the mountain, to running errands or just going to lunch.

alex911s (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 12:38 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
a bit off topic, but ... I recommend getting a compact jump battery in every car you have.

For $50-70 it's a no brainer. They are very small, and have gotten me out of a jam more than once. Stays charged for months at a time.

I have a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9FZM4
Adding to this, the Lithium Ion Batteries from Antigravity has a jump reserve feature built in.

Will be switching to that when my battery expires.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A $300 AGM and $50 compact jump box is about half the cost of an Antigravity battery. They're light and powerful with some cool features, but the CBA isn't there for me yet - maybe when the.larger capacity ones are around $450 (a 50% premium over an AGM).
Old 12-15-2022, 11:17 PM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
LOL - not many parts of my 997 that aren't modified - supercharged engine, race suspension, PCCBs, noselift kit, steering wheel and carvind interior pieces, aero parts, stereo, etc. Every change has made it better than when I bought it. The car does everything fantastically without any compromises, from multi hour highway trips with the cruise set to 90 to exhilarating runs up the mountain, to running errands or just going to lunch.
I stand corrected, and that thing must handle on rails! I really love my PCCB brakes....under hard braking it feels like the car is trying to go backwards!

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?