Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:26 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts
Default The big debate: sell the 997...?

I feel bad even saying it because I’ve had 20k miles of fun with my 997. However Werks ruined me. I saw a bunch of air cooled hot rods and started thinking about building my own. I’ve decided I like the car projects as much as I like driving. I’ve fixed and cleaned everything that needed fixing and
cleaning on my 997 and...I’m bored.

Unfortunalely I don’t have the garage space or budget for 2 so I listed my car to see what type of offers I would get. The good news is I got 2 local offers for 20% more than I paid, after putting 20k miles on it. Not bad.

As as an aside, there are two conclusions I’ve drawn from this: First, at the prices of 997.1s today it’s essentially a “free car”. Second, I believe the base model 997s hold their value better than S models as you increase in mileage. They both coverge towards a $30k floor at 100k miles.

The bad news is now I need to make a real decision.

Option 1: Sell it and put the bucks towards an air cooled project. The most fun, the least practical. While I think I would love fixing it up I’m unsure how I will like driving an older car and how many times I will end up taking an Uber when the car won’t start. I also want a car I can drive the **** out of with no worries about putting miles on it.

Option 2: sell it and hunt for another good deal on a 997 to fix up.

Option 3: keep it for the long haul. At the miles I’m putting on it I will roll 100k in 3 years. Look to add an air cooled car at that time (hopefully when the garage or fun budget increase in size).

Thoughts, experiences appreciated.

Last edited by TheBruce; 04-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:36 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Something else to consider...

I also live in the SF area and I would worry about the safety features of an old Air cooled 911. Don't get me wrong here, I love them and would love to have one but people around here drive like crap.
The following users liked this post:
mikes70 (10-08-2019)
Old 09-11-2018, 02:42 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

If you can get out of your car for more than you paid, take the money and run. A no-brainer if you ask me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aircooled

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I feel bad even saying it because I’ve had 20k miles of fun with my 997. However Werks ruined me. I saw a bunch of air cooled hot rods and started thinking about building my own. I’ve decided I like the car projects as much as I like driving. I’ve fixed and cleaned everything that needed fixing and
cleaning on my 997 and...I’m bored.

Unfortunalely I don’t have the garage space or budget for 2 so I listed my car to see what type of offers I would get. The good news is I got 2 local offers for 20% more than I paid, after putting 20k miles on it. Not bad.

As as an aside, there are two conclusions I’ve drawn from this: First, at the prices of 997.1s today it’s essentially a “free car”. Second, I believe the base model 997s hold their value better than S models as you increase in mileage. They both coverge towards a $30k floor at 100k miles.

The bad news is now I need to make a real decision.

Option 1: Sell it and make a few bucks towards an air cooled project. The most fun, the least practical. While I think I would love fixing it up I’m unsure how I will like driving an older car and how many times I will end up taking an Uber when the car won’t start. I also want a car I can drive the **** out of with no worries about putting miles on it.

Option 2: sell it and hunt for another good deal on a low mile 997, fix it up and sell at 60k miles. Basically rinse and repeat.

Option 3: keep it for the long haul. At the miles I’m putting on it I will roll 100k in 3 years. Look to add an air cooled car at that time (hopefully when the garage or fun budget increase in size).

Thoughts, experiences appreciated.

If you don't mind having a non abs, no power steering, torsion bar car with 70s or 80s ac system and a cabin that smells oil or fuel once in a while then you are fine. Since you love working on cars I think you will enjoy an aircool project. There is something different about driving old cars in general maybe because of its rawness so its more engaging and you feel a connection.

Are you looking at a longhood project or post 73 G body project? Will it be a weekend car or a more regular car?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

No bad choices there, just decisions.

Using an older air-cooled 911 for daily duty isn't going to be as easy, comfortable, or reliable as your 997, but it will be a different experience with both pros & cons. The driving dynamics are also quite different in the older cars before the 993 when the rear aluminum subframe was introduced. Much more pronounced rear pendulum effect, lighter front end feel, and more difficult and entertaining to drive quickly. The 997 is a nice balance of that sensation from yesteryear while still being very capable and forgiving. Definitely drive a few before you decide what to do.

There's something to be said about driving a car you know is well-sorted such as yours now (new clutch, etc) that doesn't have some unknown problem and won't leave you stranded and I don't think the values will change much over the next 3 years. Will your car with 100k on it be worth a bit less than you could sell it for now - probably. With the amount of that difference cover the repairs you'll need to make to the lower mileage example over that same 3 year period - who knows - financially you may come out ahead or you may come out behind, so I don't think option or reason 2 makes much sense unless you just want a different car (color, options, a turbo, an S, etc). Option 1 moves you in a very different direction going to an old car, but personally owning two older Porsches, a 74 and a 79, where you can just get in and drive them 80% of the time, having only 1 of those and as my only car, I don't think is a great option, which then makes your Option 3 the most sensible.

Anyway, that's my take.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:37 AM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd say keep it and love the one you're with. Are you getting 20% on top of the purchase price and all of your repairs/updates? if so, that is quite good.

Still like you say, prices are stable and yours likely will not require much in terms of non-planned repairs for the next three years. So enjoy it and find something else in parallel.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

For some context, here is what I have been looking at...

And then turning it into an IROC build like this :-) My wife says im f'n crazy...

Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run away from that blue monstrosity. ( and then please PM the sellers info to me and some more photos of the IROC )
Old 09-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
For some context, here is what I have been looking at...

{link deleted}

And then turning it into an IROC build like this :-) My wife says im f'n crazy...

Oh, hell yea!

Impressive that it started up like that after not being run in 2 weeks and the body work looks well done. How was the fiberglass for the flares and bumpers bonded to the original metal fenders - cracking over time would be my only concern if not done well. When we did the widebody Cayenne, they bonded the flares using 3M Panelbond and also screwed through the inner wall of the flare, then plugged the access hole as part of doing the body work.

Grey holes are the access one used to fasten with the screw hardware

Then bodywork done over the bonded and screwed flares

Then paint to end up like this.

If all that car needs is interior and wiring work, as handy as you are, you can probably bang that out in 4-6 months while keeping your day job. It took me 6 months to take my 928 from this

to this...

If you decide to go for it, pull all that interior junk out and clean it really well, then coat it with something like Eastwood Rust Encapsulator paint which will neuatralize any surface rust and help prevent any new rust from forming. Then I'd recommend installing something like Dynamat or equivalent to help reduce general noise, which is what I also did.

If you decide to do it, that will be a really sweet car when you're done with it - I'd try to find a way to keep both, maybe with a lift, which would also give you a place to work on the project one.

Let me know if you have any questions on anything I did with my projects.

Pete
Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
Oh, hell yea! Pete
Your enthusiasm 'blue' it for me.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

TheBruce, if you're serious about doing it, take down the YouTube video. Someone else might track the owner down from the license plate shown in the video and start discussing the sale with him. The less exposure, the better, when you're the buyer. I deleted it from your post I had quoted.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

You haven't mentioned if you have driven an air-cooled car to be sure the speed and ride meets your expectations. They are much different cars than a 997 in terms of speed, handling and comfort. Petza914's comments are especially relevant. In SF you shouldn't have much of a problem with air conditioning or overheating.

Don't forget it takes good money and wrenching skills to turn an air-cooled 911 into a car with the performance of a Singer, if that is your goal.

Interesting decision you will be making, so good luck with whatever direction you take.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
TheBruce, if you're serious about doing it, take down the YouTube video. Someone else might track the owner down from the license plate shown in the video and start discussing the sale with him. The less exposure, the better, when you're the buyer. I deleted it from your post I had quoted.
Good point - he's got the local advantage though and not every one is up to the challenge of that. I did it once and would never do it again. Sure you know it's done 'right' but it is easier for me to pay a pro to do it 'righter'.

While the finished blue car is amazing looking - one also wants the performance to match. I've been slightly obsessed with Mexico Blue since seeing this one on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-s-3/

Old 09-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Good point - he's got the local advantage though and not every one is up to the challenge of that. I did it once and would never do it again. Sure you know it's done 'right' but it is easier for me to pay a pro to do it 'righter'.

While the finished blue car is amazing looking - one also wants the performance to match. I've been slightly obsessed with Mexico Blue since seeing this one on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-turbo-s-3/

I have to admit, that is a car I could trade mine for!!!

Good advice spending some time driving an air cooled. Especially before committing more than a few hours to building one. It would be a shame to not like it when you were done.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ911
If you don't mind having a non abs, no power steering, torsion bar car with 70s or 80s ac system and a cabin that smells oil or fuel once in a while then you are fine. Since you love working on cars I think you will enjoy an aircool project. There is something different about driving old cars in general maybe because of its rawness so its more engaging and you feel a connection.

Are you looking at a longhood project or post 73 G body project? Will it be a weekend car or a more regular car?
+1

@TheBruce I remember your post from when you swapped your 997 for a 993 and you ask what the hype was all about and how you described that the 993 drove like a truck. lol I suggest driving an old air cool 911 first before you decide. The 997 is considered the goldilocks of the 911 so if you decide that a old 911 project make sure you have all of the tools, know how to weld and have space to support your project. Pre galvanized cars, cutting panels, rotisseries, building jigs, those are all fun stuff. Best of luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?