Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

Your circumstances are the opposite of mine. I have owned 4 aircooled 911s and am in the process of selling my current 1977 widebody (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...1s-ratrod.html). My tastes have changed and I wanted something a little softer, more comfortable, reliable, safer, yet still sporty so I picked up a 2005 Carrera S. It's the best 911 I have ever owned and I feel I should have bought one of these a couple years ago. They bang for your buck with a 997 is insane! My aircooled hubris is the only reason that kept me from getting into a water-pumper sooner.

Of all the options you listed, Option 2 makes the least sense. You have a well-maintained/running 997. These are getting old and inevitably you will need to fix more things on your car so I suspect you will have plenty of opportunities to tinker/modify. If you decide to go aircooled, I highly recommend driving one. It sounds like you don't have a lot of seat time in one. It is an awesome driving experience but different than a 997 (no power steering, ABS, loud, etc). All the visceral things people like about the aircooled 911s are also things that can annoy you depending on who you are/what you want.

If you enjoy the way your 997 drives, keep it and tinker with it. I went 997 because the steering, handling, looks are all classic 911 but with modern amenities. It is an amazing machine and I have a blast driving mine. It's as close to an analog experience as you can get without going aircooled, IMO, other than the 996.

Whatever you decide to do, these are terrific 1st-world problems to have. Best of luck.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

Busta Rib - thanks for the note. Ive seen your car on the listings and drooled over it. Sad to see you leave it but welcome to the 997 club.

I just watched this video and it pushed me over the line.

I decided to go with option 2. I'll get an air cooled project when I get a bigger garage.

My logic:

1. I can lock in a profit on my car after putting 25k miles on it. Who makes a profit on a daily driver..?
2. It will get harder to sell it once I hit 80k+ miles, which will come up by end of next year.
3. The C2S I am looking at agreed to drop to $38k today. Thats a craaazy deal in my book on a C2S with 44k miles and full leather.
4. Conclusion: I can upgrade from a C2 to a C2S with 20k less miles for a $2k delta.

I've already asked them to hold the C2S while I get the paperwork done on mine and schedule flights and PPI in SoCal. Hopefully the timing works out but if it doesn't im not bent. I can spend a few weeks finding another one.

Keep everyone posted an thanks so much for the advice.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Busta Rib - thanks for the note. Ive seen your car on the listings and drooled over it. Sad to see you leave it but welcome to the 997 club.

I just watched this video and it pushed me over the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9SvyCNfb24

I decided to go with option 2. I'll get an air cooled project when I get a bigger garage.

My logic:

1. I can lock in a profit on my car after putting 25k miles on it. Who makes a profit on a daily driver..?
2. It will get harder to sell it once I hit 80k+ miles, which will come up by end of next year.
3. The C2S I am looking at agreed to drop to $38k today. Thats a craaazy deal in my book on a C2S with 44k miles and full leather.
4. Conclusion: I can upgrade from a C2 to a C2S with 20k less miles for a $2k delta.

I've already asked them to hold the C2S while I get the paperwork done on mine and schedule flights and PPI in SoCal. Hopefully the timing works out but if it doesn't im not bent. I can spend a few weeks finding another one.

Congrats and welcome to the S club... essentially what you know and love, but with a little extra.

Looking forward to the pics and your impressions.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Thx Pete. Im interested to see how much difference I can feel between the C2 and C2S, as well as sport and PASM. Did you install the DSC module for yours? Worth it?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Thx Pete. Im interested to see how much difference I can feel between the C2 and C2S, as well as sport and PASM. Did you install the DSC module for yours? Worth it?
Did I install the DSC - what haven't I installed in my car?

I'm kidding, but yes, I have TPC's DSC module in conjunction with my Bilstein B16 Damptronics. It may be the vest Bang for the buck mod out there, or in a tie with Gundo /Fister mufflers.

I installed the Damptronics so I could use the cargraphic AirLift noselift kit I bought and then added the DSC module later. The coilovers are stiffer than the stock PASM setup so I run the comfort mode pretty much full soft until about 30% g force then stiffen them progressively to about 80% full stiff through the rest of the G range. In sport Mode, they start stiffer and the stiffening progression is more linear with 100% stiffness at full G-forces. I can look up the actual tables if you'd like, but your settings with the stock PASM suspension will be different and it's a little slower to react, so you might accelerate the stiffening percentage in a non-linear function to achieve the stiffness you want at a specific G-force, forcing it to make larger jumps. What you don't want to do with the PASM setup is to choose a softness value that's outside the shocks operating range as you can overheat the shock - a stiffness value beyond what the shock can do is OK as once it reaches full stiff it won't try to go further, that just let's you populate the table with larger jumps per segment. I would start with the stock maps that come preloaded and tweak it from there. In a .1, you'll also need to purchase the 3-axis accelerometer that installs under the Bose subwoofer by the DME. When you install the DSC controller itself, plug in a USB cable that stays permanently attached and just tuck it under the carpet, which will make connecting your laptop to play with different profiles faster and easier.

Let me know what else I can help with and if you decide to do it, I'll send you a photo set of instructions I got from Tom Chan at TPC, along with my phone # in case you have any issues during the install. There's a good tutorial video on YouTube done by Michael Levitas that shows you how to populate the tables and play around with the software. You can do it even without the actual TPC box to get familiar with it in simulator mode.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic997 (08-31-2019)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Talk time frame tip me as things develop. We could share a ride down and I'll spot you on the way north. New car ... best to have a back up.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

My logic:

Sounds like a good deal but if you really want that car I would give them a deposit contingent on a PPI you're satisfied with. Short of that I wouldn't expect them to just "hold" it for you, hoping you'll show up first of all and then feel ok about the PPI. If another buyer surfaces I'd be shocked if they didn't sell that car without a second thought about whatever verbal agreements you have with them. Also, you said this earlier:
40k mile service just done and CPO checklist by the CA Porsche dealer listing it.
Does that mean the car is sold with CPO coverage or just that they went over the car with the CPO checklist as a reference without actually certifying it?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

I didn't realize you have a C2 and would go to a C2S. Totally makes sense. That other car you are considering sounds like a winner. I agree with the person who recommended putting a deposit down pending PPI. I don't think it will last very long.

I just watched this video and it pushed me over the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9SvyCNfb24

My logic:

Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Talk time frame tip me as things develop. We could share a ride down and I'll spot you on the way north. New car ... best to have a back up.
@Wayne - you are too kind. That could be a fuuuun trip! Lets see if I can pull it off in time. Logistics getting tricky.

@Sandwedge - no, its not CPO certified, just did the CPO checklist. They say one of the biggest Pcar dealers in California.

@Pete - many thanks! I think the .1 also requires a new accelerometer with the DSC so will likely have a bunch of questions when the time comes.

@BustaRib - thx for all the advice. If I had a bigger garage I would have picked up your car :-)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Fun discussion.
I didn’t read every single response but thought I’d throw my $.02 in.
An air-cooled car is a great 2nd car. Not daily driver IMO. So if that’s the goal feel free to read on.
They are all old but can be very reliable. Mine sure has been (1991 964 Turbo). I’m about to start Day 3 of the roadtrip to Rennsport from Denver CO. I’m with a guy in a 1979 Turbo and another guy in a 1990 964. No interstates. The experience we’ve had (which has included only one minor issue that turned out not to be one - so really no issue) could not be equaled by a newer car. It is a much more rewarding and visceral driving experience. You have to work. Concentrate. But damn - So. Much. Fun. If you’re going to Rennsport look for our cars - CO plates. Might still be bug splattered. Air cooled cars can have some modern stuff - remember starting with the 9)4 they had ABS and airbags and power steering. Not quite as visceral as precious models - but much more so than anything newer. Go drive some. There are pros and cons to everything.

Gotta go - we’re firing up soon for the final leg over Sonora Pass then we’ll drop down into Monterey.

Brandon
‘91 911 Turbo
Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Bruce, congratulations on the move to the C2S! I look forward to reading your next post outlining the differences of your C2 vs. your C2S.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:32 PM
schroed911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 1987 Carrera to a friend and bought a new water cooled. I regretted selling the 1987. My buddy sold it for a 997 ad also regrets the change. I went back to a 1996 C4S. The 993 has the right performance for the street. You can drive it hard without getting into "go to jail" speeds. The 993 has reasonable creature comforts like decent AC. The new cars are obviously much higher perf. I did a dozen track days last year in GT3 and GT3RS and they easily smoke a 993. For the street, the 993 is very unique and fun. If you want superior performance go new. I have another car that's a very high perf 2018 so I really didn't choose. In the long run I expect I'll change the newer car in a few years, but I won't ever sell the 993.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

all this talk about getting an air cooled is making me think. I'd probably regret selling my GTS but I mostly look at 964s and 993 on instagram and don't recall catching myself oogling a 997 much. this forum is a money spending catalyst like no other.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:10 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Looks like we made front page! haha

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsch...ng-air-cooled/
Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I know you said keeping both is not an option, but I'd try to swing it if you can. I have a 997.2 GT3 and added a 964 C2 last year and love it to death. Need the best of both worlds.

If I had to choose, I'd sell the 997 and scratch the aircooled itch. Short of a 997 GT3/RS and GT2, you can always find another 997.

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?