Sponsored by:

The big debate: sell the 997...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
My 2c. From what I can tell, you're in a .1. If you can't locate an air-cooled and resort to another 997, use the proceeds to move to a .2. That is the true keeper. No offense to our .1 brethren.
Sinner
Old 09-12-2018, 10:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I own both a G-series and a 997.2 and have owned others. The water-cooled is an acquired taste but for someone exposed to the 911 series with a 997.1, it is a very different car. Perhaps a 993 is closer, but anything before 1987 is a very different experience. A classic is not an enjoyable car in Bay Area traffic and in Bay Area road surfaces. The OP should try to drive one and see for himself; maybe he adapts or not.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:22 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends what you want, what you use the car for and what "season of life" you are in. My 997.2 is my 7th 911, all of the prior were air cooled, some modified, some not. I bought the 997 because I now have a young family and want them to enjoy the Porsche experience... the comfort and safety of air conditioning, rear seat belts, air bags and nannies allow us to reasonably do that.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I feel bad even saying it because I’ve had 20k miles of fun with my 997. However Werks ruined me. I saw a bunch of air cooled hot rods and started thinking about building my own. I’ve decided I like the car projects as much as I like driving. I’ve fixed and cleaned everything that needed fixing and cleaning on my 997 and...I’m bored.

Unfortunalely I don’t have the garage space or budget for 2 so I listed my car to see what type of offers I would get. The good news is I got 2 local offers for 20% more than I paid, after putting 20k miles on it. Not bad.

As as an aside, there are two conclusions I’ve drawn from this: First, at the prices of 997.1s today it’s essentially a “free car”. Second, I believe the base model 997s hold their value better than S models as you increase in mileage. They both coverge towards a $30k floor at 100k miles.

The bad news is now I need to make a real decision.

Option 1: Sell it and make a few bucks towards an air cooled project. The most fun, the least practical. While I think I would love fixing it up I’m unsure how I will like driving an older car and how many times I will end up taking an Uber when the car won’t start. I also want a car I can drive the **** out of with no worries about putting miles on it.

Option 2: sell it and hunt for another good deal on a low mile 997, fix it up and sell at 60k miles. Basically rinse and repeat.

Option 3: keep it for the long haul. At the miles I’m putting on it I will roll 100k in 3 years. Look to add an air cooled car at that time (hopefully when the garage or fun budget increase in size).

Thoughts, experiences appreciated.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 205 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo
If I could find a good deal on a track car I'd pull the trigger. You can easily make them street able, especially if you are going for the outlaw look. Plus, they'll probably have a bunch of components already installed that you would need to buy on a fresh build.

I had my 997 for about 4-5 months and found an incredible deal on a red GT3 that I could't refuse. I had a buddy who wanted my 997 so it all worked out! I couldn't be happier.

This is the perfect choice.
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp
Old 09-20-2018, 05:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

So my air cooled blue crush passed me by but option 2 is still in play.

I ran across a 997.1 GT Silver on Black C2S with 44k miles, leather dash and doors, sport chrono, 6sp, Carrera Sport wheels (my fav). 40k mile service just done and CPO checklist by the CA Porsche dealer listing it.

Variable #1: Its a 2005. I wasn't bent. Figured it had an upgraded bearing or I could price into the sale. It was an extremely painful process to confirm if it was upgraded or not. The service department gave a bunch of nonsensical answers which the sales rep conveyed to me. After some scolding on his lack of knowledge he admitted he had only been selling Porsche's for 10 months and wasn't terribly educated about 997s. His apology was sincere and he offered to knock $2k off the price for consideration since they couldn't confirm.

Variable #2: He gave me the engine number and it appears its after the cutoff date and has the large bearing. However, according to Jake Raby there is no way to definitively know with a 2005 so this is a guesstimate.

Based on the info published on RL engine number up to M97/01 68509790 has the older IMS bearing and Engine number from M97/01 68509791 has the larger revised IMS. This is 68511021.

Variable #3: Its not GT Silver. They misrepresented it. I called him on it and he apologized. He said their web department had a bunch of dealerships under the same family and they get things mixed up.

Variable #4: 9% CA sales tax doesn't make trading cars terribly practical.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by TheBruce; 04-23-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:31 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Are you going to replace it with your current 997 or add another to the stable? 37K after deductions for a 44K 997.1 C2S is not a bad deal at all.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:08 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree the price isn't bad if you can get it for $37k. But I'd definitely make sure you've checked it thoroughly yourself and aren't listening to the dealer at all, since it seems they don't know anything about this car.
If it were me, I'd get my own PPI as well.
Good luck.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

I would sell my C2 and swap out for this. Already one firm offer for mine that I’ve been dragging my feet on.

The funny part is I bet my wife would have no idea. The conversation with her why I would trade one silver 911 for another silver 911 will be painful.

And yes no way I would buy buy it without flying down and getting a ppi on it. It’s in SoCal so can do another road trip back up 25 and 33 with it...

I’m wondering if any hacks to confirm large or small bearing without taking the transmission off.

Last edited by TheBruce; 04-23-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive the 997.2 more than the air cooled in the bay area since I got it 5 months ago. Maybe because it has better AC, 6 speed shifts smoother than the 915 and I am enjoying the mods I did on the 997 and kept the air cooled stock as possible. It didn't bother me driving to the city once in a while with the air cooled but that changed when the 997 came as I realized I can use this more often in the city uphill/downhill in downtown SF and still feel comfortable.

I am the opposite of what you are planning, I am on the fence of selling the air cooled as it doesn't get the usual seat time it did before plus renting for 2 private garages in the bay area is like renting a room in Daly City, lol. Though I am not in a rush to sell it, the thought of me selling it in favor of the 997 gives you more of an idea where I am at.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Perhaps you should just tuck this GT Silver beauty in the garage and see if your wife notices anything out of the ordinary?!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ver-black.html
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm with David. GT3 or bust...

haha!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Perhaps you should just tuck this GT Silver beauty in the garage and see if your wife notices anything out of the ordinary?!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ver-black.html
Originally Posted by voodoo
I'm with David. GT3 or bust...

haha!
:lol: I'm still trying to get to that level. If I can trade up to a Carrara White GT3, I wouldn't even tell the wife and just pull the trigger. I'll figure out the logistics and sleeping on the couch later.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I too support David's idea. Problems keeping it at home ... park in my garage. I'll keep the battery charged 8)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Ha!! The GT3 is an argument I wont mind having with my wife...

@Wayne - be careful, I may take you up on that but instead of a GT3, you will find a rusty SC in boxes.

Just back from meeting the guy who put the offer on my car. He's ready to buy Monday if I agree. Told him I need a few more days. Oh the decisions...
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Ha!! The GT3 is an argument I wont mind having with my wife...

@Wayne - be careful, I may take you up on that but instead of a GT3, you will find a rusty SC in boxes.

Just back from meeting the guy who put the offer on my car. He's ready to buy Monday if I agree. Told him I need a few more days. Oh the decisions...
It's sounds like this is your DD, so it's too bad you can't borrow an air-cooled for a week. Myself I always liked the looks and idea of a Porsche but the 997 was the first one I could stand to DD. And that's comparing to a stock air-cooled not a tricked out one. The ride of a stock one is harsh as it is, I've driven ones with brass suspension bushings and found them horribly uncomfortable on the street. The 964 and 993 come close to DD territory for me in terms of having power steering and halfway decent A/C but still can't compare to a 997 (or 996) in terms of safety and comfort features. If it was going to only be a weekend car then it's a different story. But weekend cars have their downside also. I DD'ed my 997 for 8 years, then bought a C6 corvette and alternated DD'ing them...as I only have a 2-car garage and my wife claims one for her car, one of mine was outside (under a cover) all the time and necessitated jockeying them around to switch off. Recently I picked up a cherry Grand Cherokee for a great price and it is now my DD, which has compounded the parking situation and I'm seriously considering selling the Vette even though it has less than half the mileage of the Porsche and is much less costly to maintain. The 997 is a keeper.

Quick Reply: The big debate: sell the 997...?