Sponsored by:

Introduction: Motul

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I too would like to see a UOA for Motul Sport. Looks like a very interesting product trying to fit a difficult application being mixed use.

For years I would run a blend of Driven's DT40 and XP9 to give me a streetable race oil in my daily that I would track :-)
Nice! Do you think there’s any benefit to using an oil with esters in it for the 997, and is DT40 group 3 or 4 based?
Old 10-05-2022, 01:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Nice! Do you think there’s any benefit to using an oil with esters in it for the 997, and is DT40 group 3 or 4 based?
I don't get hung up on base stocks. Honestly I've seen a group 1/2/3 blend with a good additive package outperform more expensive oils. It's all about the right oil for the right application.

I know that when we were doing development with Driven on DT40 that increasing the ester content increased oil consumption, but this also was affected by what brand of fuel was used and if it was summer vs winter blends.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:29 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 191 Posts

FWIW group 4 PAOs are always accompanied by another additive, usually group 5 esters, due to solubility. The PAO needs something like the ester for solubility.

I am curious why Driven isn't using Alkylated Naphthalenes instead.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I don't get hung up on base stocks. Honestly I've seen a group 1/2/3 blend with a good additive package outperform more expensive oils. It's all about the right oil for the right application.

I know that when we were doing development with Driven on DT40 that increasing the ester content increased oil consumption, but this also was affected by what brand of fuel was used and if it was summer vs winter blends.
Got it, thanks. The Motul Sport has an even higher flash point (464F) than their 8100 line so maybe the oil consumption will be even better. Might have to try it out.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
That I can't answer. I just put their "secret sauce" that came in 5 gallon pails to test in cars, ran it, and pulled samples to send to Driven. I just know it works :-)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:35 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

How bout the news that Porsche is looking to approve a non petroleum based renewable oils? There’s a plant based oil that apparently will be A40 approved…

https://evolvelube.com/product/evosy...n-car-formula/
Old 10-05-2022, 02:40 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Got it, thanks. The Motul Sport has an even higher flash point (464F) than their 8100 line so maybe the oil consumption will be even better. Might have to try it out.
Sorry if I missed this somewhere and don't mean to derail the topic but have you identified what is causing your oil consumption? From doing research on this topic and some conversations with my shop, they are suspecting that some cars might be suffering from stuck rings due to carbon build up around them, especially the oil control ring. This in turn allows oil to get into the combustion chamber causing it to be burned up. Pulling your spark plugs might show if they are covered with carbon or relatively clean. With many of the cars changing hands over time and experiencing less than idea oil change intervals of 10k miles or so, the built up carbon starts to harden and requires some additional intervention to be removed.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:09 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Sorry if I missed this somewhere and don't mean to derail the topic but have you identified what is causing your oil consumption? From doing research on this topic and some conversations with my shop, they are suspecting that some cars might be suffering from stuck rings due to carbon build up around them, especially the oil control ring. This in turn allows oil to get into the combustion chamber causing it to be burned up. Pulling your spark plugs might show if they are covered with carbon or relatively clean. With many of the cars changing hands over time and experiencing less than idea oil change intervals of 10k miles or so, the built up carbon starts to harden and requires some additional intervention to be removed.
I have no idea what is causing the oil consumption but it is not anywhere near the limits of what Porsche says is abnormal so I haven’t really looked further into it. I just was curious what changing oils would yield. I started with M1 0W-40 and then went to M1 5W-50 cause I read that folks were getting better UOAs on them than the 0W-40 cause it sheared too quickly but the 5W-50 felt sluggish to me (maybe due to the heavier weight), so tried the Motul which I think I like so far. I do like that it seems this oil burns off much slower than the M1 though.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 10-05-2022 at 03:18 PM.
plpete84 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 03:14 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

That I can't answer. I just put their "secret sauce" that came in 5 gallon pails to test in cars, ran it, and pulled samples to send to Driven. I just know it works :-)
Hah, absolutely. I agree!
Old 06-07-2023, 04:22 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motul
Hi Karl,
You can't go wrong with The 8100 X-cess 5W40 or 300V Power 5W40. The only downside to 300V vs X-cess is cost- also if you care about having an approved Porsche oil, the 300V will not hold an approval. That being said, 300V will virtually outperform the X-cess in most testing measures with the exception oil change interval length. So if you follow the factory recommended ODI's, the X-cess is a better bet as it has been thoroughly tested to meet Porsche's long drain standards.

If you want higher power output (engine dyno proven), more reliability and better overall oil performance, 300V w/ EsterCore technology is an obvious choice. As far as grade goes, we make 300V available both in the 300V Trophy 0W40 and 300V Power 5W40 that is suitable for most Porsche applications. You can step up to the 15W50 if you have high fuel dilution or high oil temps.- Nick
Originally Posted by Motul
You would be correct- a lot of variables to consider here. Without a proper UOA it's hard to say.... For regular street driving we start at 5,000 mile ODI's for 300V and work our way up from there. For mixed driving (track and street), being more conservative will be a good practice- I'd recommend draining at 3,000 miles and see what the UOA looks like. Then you can really make a good determination in how to proceed with your ODI's.- Nick

Hi Nick. I see no one has logged into the Motul account for a year so you may never see this but I wanted to ask in case you do. Is the 300V supposed to be a true "racing oil"? It is marketed like it is but I am confused given your statements above talking about street driving and 3/5K mile change intervals. Also I pulled an oil analysis of it and the moly levels are much lower than I would expect in a true racing oil. Thanks for the information you have provided this community.
DesmoSD (06-07-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 07:53 AM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Nick. I see no one has logged into the Motul account for a year so you may never see this but I wanted to ask in case you do. Is the 300V supposed to be a true "racing oil"? It is marketed like it is but I am confused given your statements above talking about street driving and 3/5K mile change intervals. Also I pulled an oil analysis of it and the moly levels are much lower than I would expect in a true racing oil. Thanks for the information you have provided this community.
this was a great thread. I have a 991.1 GT3RS and recently used Motul x max 0w40

after further research I’m going to use either sport or 300v 5w40. I change at 3k but still concerned over 300V for 3k and may default to sport. Car is driven hard.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:41 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

I know DT40 uses ester but I suspect Driven DI40 uses Alkylated Naphthalenes (ANs) as a co-base stock. For years in the world of oil technology esters were the co-base stock of choice to be used with PAOs but now we have newer and better technologies available like ANs. There is growing evidence that suggests ANs blended with PAOs and Group II/III base oils offer superior stability when compared with similar ester blends.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

First time I used Motul was in my current 2006 C4. Previous owner used it and I continued.
Previously only used Mobil 1.
Motul seems to be a fan favorite.

Quick Reply: Introduction: Motul