Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Great looking wheel; I'd judge it +9 on a scale of 1-10, (higher if the bottom point of the Porsche crest were pointed at the air valve). Are all four as pristine as the one in the single picture of your wheel?

Very nice looking paint too.
Wash day and I’m not done yet, the wheels now have to come off so I can wash the inside but to answer your question about pristine wheels..

Porsche crests will be pointed towards the air valve when I’m done and the wheels get put back on.
Attached Images        
Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Got my new seats installed. Went easier than anticipated. Was told it would be a tight fit, but really wasn’t too much trouble. Apart from getting the seat belt receptacle mount to line up (the nut that holds the receptacle In was a bit too thick)

have stock seats for sale if anyone is local/willing to pick up in MA.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
Wash day and I’m not done yet, the wheels now have to come off so I can wash the inside but to answer your question about pristine wheels..

Porsche crests will be pointed towards the air valve when I’m done and the wheels get put back on.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:24 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Got my new seats installed. Went easier than anticipated. Was told it would be a tight fit, but really wasn’t too much trouble. Apart from getting the seat belt receptacle mount to line up (the nut that holds the receptacle In was a bit too thick)

have stock seats for sale if anyone is local/willing to pick up in MA.

More info and pics of those new seats please! How much were they? Do they work with harnesses?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
More info and pics of those new seats please! How much were they? Do they work with harnesses?

Thanks.
+1
Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Got him a buddy! Like it’s drivetrain more though, I can choose RWD or AWD with the touch of a button.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did a little fall drive today, fantastic weather.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Got the DME flashed back to stock today at the Porsche dealership. Was previously running an unknown 1.0-1.1 bar tune from the car's past life on the East Coast, and it didn't feel great on 91 octane. I would feel a bit of hesitation on partial throttle tip-in/out.

I haven't even picked her up yet, so I'm curious how much I'll miss the power. Even if I decide I still need the harder drug, I wanted to experience what the stock tune feels like first. And hoping the hesitation issue is resolved.

EDIT: Welp, the dealer installed this at no extra charge:

As if I needed a reminder as to why I use indys.

Last edited by manimal; 10-13-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:08 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Really? That sucks...
Old 10-14-2017, 01:25 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Got the DME flashed back to stock today at the Porsche dealership. Was previously running an unknown 1.0-1.1 bar tune from the car's past life on the East Coast, and it didn't feel great on 91 octane. I would feel a bit of hesitation on partial throttle tip-in/out.

I haven't even picked her up yet, so I'm curious how much I'll miss the power. Even if I decide I still need the harder drug, I wanted to experience what the stock tune feels like first. And hoping the hesitation issue is resolved.
You'll want the power back
Good idea going back to stock if you weren't feeling good about what you had.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:11 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

I do immediately want the power back, more than I expected. Hoping they will make the bumper situation right.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I do immediately want the power back, more than I expected. Hoping they will make the bumper situation right.
Why not just get re-tuned instead or a Cobb Accessport?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:04 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 on the Cobb. For the price you can't go wrong.
Hope dealer does the right thing and make repair.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Did removing the tune fix the hesitation?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:02 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Why not just get re-tuned instead or a Cobb Accessport?
Originally Posted by my04996tt
+1 on the Cobb. For the price you can't go wrong.
Hope dealer does the right thing and make repair.
Thanks guys. I probably should have and will eventually just get the Cobb or similar. My friends IRL have been giving me ****, too -- "wait, why did you make your car slower?"

For me, it was a mix of factors:

1) I thought the car had a stock tune when I bought it (obviously, should have test driven it harder ), so I kind of just had it in my head that's what I wanted.
2) Once I discovered it had a tune, I was concerned it was one of the old hardware solutions, because it happened a long time ago in the car's history. So I wanted to confirm that wasn't the case.
3) Just in terms of my discovery/learning process w/ the car, I wanted to experience what the stock tune felt like, as this is already a huge HP jump from my previous cars.
4) -100 points for PCA AutoX classing should bump me down a couple classes and make me a little more competitive. (I still won't be but this is my favorite justification)
5) General peace of mind (since the tune was unknown) and reducing wear and tear

I realize I probably could have just done all of those things with a Cobb, too, but I didn't want to get one and then discover I had a hardware chip on there.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Did removing the tune fix the hesitation?
Sorry, I was a little too bent out of shape previously to give a proper follow-up.

I think the short answer is that it helped but didn't fully eliminate it. I suspect I am now just feeling the fact that even the factory tune runs better on >91 octane.

Just to be precise on what I'm trying to describe, one example is steady state cruising at say, 50 mph in 4th, and then trying to tip out as smoothly as possible -- it seemed like it would kinda sputter/lurch. Not horribly, but enough to make my driving less smooth than I'd like. I thought it was just my ****ty driving until I put a race gas mix in there.

I think it has improved, but I still feel the phenomenon a little bit. Does that jive with what you other California guys experience?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?