Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Drove it a couple of hundred of miles home from a weekend away. Nice to get some seat time...
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
New slave and accumulator.
Getting ready for the big drive?

Hey, would you save the bad accumulator if you haven't tossed it yet? I want to see if it'll fit on to the C's Teves II ABS.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 PM
tom153
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
New slave and accumulator.
Did you do an accumulator delete or just R&R?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Getting ready for the big drive?

Hey, would you save the bad accumulator if you haven't tossed it yet? I want to see if it'll fit on to the C's Teves II ABS.

Aaron, I saved the old one just in case, you are more than welcome to it, I have a spare ABS unit from my Corrado sitting in a box too if your looking to do some bench testing.

Drove to work today, had the battery out in case of needing to pull the starter when doing the slave and accumulator, but did not need to pull the starter in the end. Need to reset things and beat on it some as the secondary O2's are being a bit lazy setting and causing a MIL.

Originally Posted by tom153
Did you do an accumulator delete or just R&R?
Tom,

Did both the slave and accumulator at this point. Was hoping to do as Dave did with a depower but time has been short this summer. Pulling the motor this winter to do some major service stuff so when that is out time to do a GT2 slave setup and call it a day.

Overall first time took about an hour and 45 minutes to do the job.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Got her detailed.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

Got a voltphreaks lithium battery... super light! Going to fabricate a bracket to mount it this weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 115 Posts

Really cool, how much weight does it save? Kind of scary also, i guess you will always be present while charging (driving the car) so if it burst into flames you will be there as a witness
Old 09-28-2017, 02:26 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Really cool, how much weight does it save? Kind of scary also, i guess you will always be present while charging (driving the car) so if it burst into flames you will be there as a witness
It's ~5.5 lbs, I think stock is 50 lbs? So it'll be 45 lbs or so, give or take whatever additional weight I save or add by modifying the factory battery mount/building my own. I compared it to the OEM Porsche Motorsport lithium battery and it seemed to be almost half the weight of that one.

It has built in circuitry to protect from overcharging/discharging. Hopefully I don't get to test that out. I've tested it manually, there is a button that functions the same as the cut-off switch you see on race cars. I'm tempted to build something to seal it up rather than just mount it, just in case, but I do trust the technology and haven't read any horror stories regarding these. The OEM lithium battery doesn't have any of the overcharge/overdischarge safe guards that this has..

I'll definitely give an honest review of it after it's been in for a while. If I am having to constantly jump start the car, or if it explodes, but hopefully my experience will be that it works flawlessly..
Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I've been wanting to try a LiFePo battery in my Turbo as well. I've used them for years in some of my enduro bikes, they have worked out great. They are actually much more tolerant of abuse (over discharge, high voltage charge, etc) than some of the manufacturers would have you believe. I can't seem to kill the one in my KTM Super Enduro... Five years plus.

Was thinking of trying the largest Shorai battery, 36ah equiv., and see how it goes. It's the brand I use in my motos and they don't really market for auto applications, but many have used them successfully in cars. Even their largest is still much lower capacity than the voltphreaks, but about a quarter of the price...
Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfbz
I've been wanting to try a LiFePo battery in my Turbo as well. I've used them for years in some of my enduro bikes, they have worked out great. They are actually much more tolerant of abuse (over discharge, high voltage charge, etc) than some of the manufacturers would have you believe. I can't seem to kill the one in my KTM Super Enduro... Five years plus.

Was thinking of trying the largest Shorai battery, 36ah equiv., and see how it goes. It's the brand I use in my motos and they don't really market for auto applications, but many have used them successfully in cars. Even their largest is still much lower capacity than the voltphreaks, but about a quarter of the price...
The Shorai was on my list, as well as EarthX (this brand seems to have a lot of use in recreational aviation applications) and one other that escapes me now.

I was planning on going with the Shorai since it was cheaper than the others to experiment with, but then discovered the EarthX has the "brain", for lack of better word, similar to the Voltphreaks. So I started doing way more research and note-taking on batteries and charging systems than I ever thought I would and was leaning towards the EarthX for it's "brain" since our cars have some parasitic drain when left to sit and also can run the fan after turning off in certain conditions... but then the opportunity to grab this voltphreaks for well below retail cost came up and I had to grab it.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
The Shorai was on my list, as well as EarthX (this brand seems to have a lot of use in recreational aviation applications) and one other that escapes me now.

I was planning on going with the Shorai since it was cheaper than the others to experiment with, but then discovered the EarthX has the "brain", for lack of better word, similar to the Voltphreaks. So I started doing way more research and note-taking on batteries and charging systems than I ever thought I would and was leaning towards the EarthX for it's "brain" since our cars have some parasitic drain when left to sit and also can run the fan after turning off in certain conditions... but then the opportunity to grab this voltphreaks for well below retail cost came up and I had to grab it.
Makes sense... For what it's worth, I've had my Shorai run down to practically nothing several times, definitely below the recommended threshold, and recharged with everything from a high current car charger to a battery tender junior. Left it plugged in to battery tender for long periods (all of which are not recommended) and as I've mentioned, I just can't kill it. If mission critical, intelligent batteries might be worth the extra dough, but so far I'm *way* past my expected life on the Shorai and it sill fires up the bikes effortlessly. Not nearly as 'fragile' to abusive charge/discharge conditions as manufacturers indicate, at least in my experience.

Also, I think that batterytender has a newer 'intelligent' LiFePo charger that can be left connected for long periods with no ill effects, essentially offloading part of the battery intelligence to the charger. No individual cell balancing that I think the intelligent batteries have, but it will prevent overcharging and can be left plugged in to deal with parasitic drain, fans, etc. $65. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B01K87YZ3C

Any tips on getting a voltphreaks at a good price if one decides to go that way?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfbz
Makes sense... For what it's worth, I've had my Shorai run down to practically nothing several times, definitely below the recommended threshold, and recharged with everything from a high current car charger to a battery tender junior. Left it plugged in to battery tender for long periods (all of which are not recommended) and as I've mentioned, I just can't kill it. If mission critical, intelligent batteries might be worth the extra dough, but so far I'm *way* past my expected life on the Shorai and it sill fires up the bikes effortlessly. Not nearly as 'fragile' to abusive charge/discharge conditions as manufacturers indicate, at least in my experience.

Also, I think that batterytender has a newer 'intelligent' LiFePo charger that can be left connected for long periods with no ill effects, essentially offloading part of the battery intelligence to the charger. No individual cell balancing that I think the intelligent batteries have, but it will prevent overcharging and can be left plugged in to deal with parasitic drain, fans, etc. $65. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B01K87YZ3C

Any tips on getting a voltphreaks at a good price if one decides to go that way?
Very good to know that they can take a beating My concern with drains from the fan when engine is off is when I'm at the track after shut the car off between sessions. I've already been the guy who locked his keys in the car between sessions, didn't want to add anything else to that

Voltphreaks recommended the plain old "Battery Tender Jr" for maintaining charge when not in use. I had one of those from a lawnmower or something random like that in my shop already... Wouldn't hurt anything to check that one out though, looks like it has some nice features.

I got really lucky with mine; just keep your eyes open for deals on various forums and don't hesitate to reach out to voltphreaks for assistance.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:43 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kind of mild 996TT stuff but might get into another world soon.

Tracking down a speaker issue.....driver rear area has a loud POP when going over a bump. Pretty random but have to figure it out!

Suggestions are appreciated.....still in the garage tracing stuff.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put her into her new sleeping place. Don't want to leave my X5 out through the winter and my wife wouldn't park her new XC90 on the street either, so I got a friend to let me store my Alfa at his house, and moved the Porsche to the 3rd garage I rent across the street from me. Even being that far from me seems too far! Really need to hurry up and find my next house with at least a 3 car garage .

Old 09-29-2017, 10:31 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
It's ~5.5 lbs, I think stock is 50 lbs? So it'll be 45 lbs or so, give or take whatever additional weight I save or add by modifying the factory battery mount/building my own. I compared it to the OEM Porsche Motorsport lithium battery and it seemed to be almost half the weight of that one.

It has built in circuitry to protect from overcharging/discharging. Hopefully I don't get to test that out. I've tested it manually, there is a button that functions the same as the cut-off switch you see on race cars. I'm tempted to build something to seal it up rather than just mount it, just in case, but I do trust the technology and haven't read any horror stories regarding these. The OEM lithium battery doesn't have any of the overcharge/overdischarge safe guards that this has..

I'll definitely give an honest review of it after it's been in for a while. If I am having to constantly jump start the car, or if it explodes, but hopefully my experience will be that it works flawlessly..
Based on what I just read here, you made a good choice:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...battery-8.html

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?