Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
^ I feel like I've asked you this before, but what are you doing to extend the 3 point buckle? I have pole positions and they just barely fit between the seat and the center console. While they are a perfect height, they are literally jammed in there. It makes adjusting the seat forward/backward a bit more difficult, but I literally never do that anyways. I wish there was a slim buckle that could be put in. Minor details...
There are definitely a few ways to setup the buckle receptacle... I've tested a few setups as well. Currently, on the drivers side, I have BMW take-off seat belt receptacles attached to the side plates of the seat mounts. The BMW receptacles are very similar to the Porsche ones, but don't have the air bag buckle/unbuckle wiring that is typically bypassed with race seats and they are about an inch shorter. I could have also used the Porsche receptacles, but preferred to leave them attached to the stock seats. They are *way* to short to reach with the race seats, so a 7" flexible E4 certified extender is used to raise it above the side of the seat. I can be also routed through the side hole, but for my physical size and with these particular seats, that doesn't work as well.

On the passenger side, I am currently using a similar extender, but rigid instead of flexible. Also safety certified. Some advantages and disadvantages of using the flexible vs. rigid.

I've also ordered a 10" belt receptacle which I will test fit to replace both the BMW receptacle and extender, it will bolt directly to the side rails. it might or might not work better than the current setup.

Originally Posted by garrett376
Even better would be a buckle that goes through the seat's belt hole, since that's how it's supposed to be routed. I'd be worried those are not against the hip, especially for a skinny person.
I don't think the pictures really convey just how "skinny" you would have to be for this to be an issue, but if you sat in the seat it would be instantly obvious... Almost any adult would be snug against the hip with the current setup. On a deeper bucket seat, this might be a problem, but the Sparco's aren't super deep (which also makes them *much* easier to live with on a street car).

On the passenger side with the rigid extender, possibly a slightly bigger "minimum" size. Still, I'll test routing through the race belt harness hole with the longer 10" receptacle as an alternative.

----
Photo below is the rigid extender on the BMW OE receptacle. Can be routed through the harness hole or outside the seat. Through the hole works a bit better with the soft extender. I think the 10" receptacles might be a cleaner solution, will update once they arrive.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-02-2022 at 10:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (01-02-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:15 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
There are definitely a few ways to setup the buckle receptacle... I've tested a few setups as well. Currently, on the drivers side, I have BMW take-off seat belt receptacles attached to the side plates of the seat mounts. The BMW receptacles are very similar to the Porsche ones, but don't have the air bag buckle/unbuckle wiring that is typically bypassed with race seats and they are about an inch shorter. I could have also used the Porsche receptacles, but preferred to leave them attached to the stock seats. They are *way* to short to reach with the race seats, so a 7" flexible E4 certified extender is used to raise it above the side of the seat. I can be also routed through the side hole, but for my physical size and with these particular seats, that doesn't work as well.

On the passenger side, I am currently using a similar extender, but rigid instead of flexible. Also safety certified. Some advantages and disadvantages of using the flexible vs. rigid.

I've also ordered a 10" belt receptacle which I will test fit to replace both the BMW receptacle and extender, it will bolt directly to the side rails. it might or might not work better than the current setup.

I don't think the pictures really convey just how "skinny" you would have to be for this to be an issue, but if you sat in the seat it would be instantly obvious... Almost any adult would be snug against the hip with the current setup. On a deeper bucket seat, this might be a problem, but the Sparco's aren't super deep (which also makes them *much* easier to live with on a street car).

On the passenger side with the rigid extender, possibly a slightly bigger "minimum" size. Still, I'll test routing through the race belt harness hole with the longer 10" receptacle as an alternative.

----
Photo below is the rigid extender on the BMW OE receptacle. Can be routed through the harness hole or outside the seat. Through the hole works a bit better with the soft extender. I think the 10" receptacles might be a cleaner solution, will update once they arrive.
Yea, I looked into the extenders, and the rigid one routed outside seems like the easiest thing to do. May not be totally ideal belt placement for safety but it's easy. There's no way I can fit in my PP with the receptacle routed through the hole; they're the FIA style and way too narrow even with my 32" waist.
The soft extender would probably be a "better seatbelt," would look better IMO, but it might be annoying to latch.
I wish there was a thin or low profile receptacle that I could route outside, but I can't find any. Maybe I need to measure some on other cars and see if there is an OEM solution that happens to be 1cm thinner. Or just forget about this non-issue altogether haha.

Here is my setup. Using the OEM seatbelts.

Last edited by TrillyPop; 01-03-2022 at 01:17 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Here is my setup. Using the OEM seatbelts.
I like your build out! The Sparco's are definitely a bit more 'generous' in sizing than then the Pole Positions, though still not sure there is enough room for a buck that sits in lower than the edge of the seat. what about a much longer soft belt receptacle, like 14" or so, threaded through the hole but long enough to extend past the top of the side?

Also, what cage/harness bar are you using?
Old 01-03-2022, 02:56 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 294 Posts

Currently considering my options on this also. The stock 996 GT3 has the buckle to the outside of the seat. It has a longer cable and its own part number for $200 a buckle or so. I'm thinking about either raising the mounting point by welding something up higher or trying to modify my buckle cable if I can get it apart and press together a new cable. The extender is easy but just seems like a cheap fix even though I know it is certified safe. Adding a metal bracket to extend the stock buckle at the mount is another idea and might be OK if I can't mod the cable. Just feeling a litttleleee too cheap to pay that $400 for those two buckles.

My car also has seat warmers. I wonder if I can plug in some aftermarket warmers and install them below the cushions. This would be mostly useless for me but it is nice to make things work.

Last edited by Bernard IV; 01-03-2022 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:01 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Old 01-03-2022, 03:17 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Currently considering my options on this also. The stock 996 GT3 has the buckle to the outside of the seat. It has a longer cable and its own part number for $200 a buckle or so. I'm thinking about either raising the mounting point by welding something up higher or trying to modify my buckle cable if I can get it apart and press together a new cable. The extender is easy but just seems like a cheap fix even though I know it is certified safe. Adding a metal bracket to extend the stock buckle at the mount is another idea and might be OK if I can't mod the cable. Just feeling a litttleleee too cheap to pay that $400 for those two buckles.

My car also has seat warmers. I wonder if I can plug in some aftermarket warmers and install them below the cushions. This would be mostly useless for me but it is nice to make things work.
Get the proper longer OEM buckle as designed for the Euro buckets. It works perfectly. You will not be happy with some jerry rigged buckle. I would pinch pennies elsewhere. My $0.02..
Old 01-03-2022, 03:18 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Look at this extension bracket from FVD for older cars. Something like this would be simple to fab and very safe.

The following users liked this post:
diverzeusy (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 08:15 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 880 Likes on 593 Posts

I've used the extended brackets to bolt an OE buckle to it before to raise it up. I'd do that again before I add an extended buckle clipped into another receptacle. Even though it says it's safe, it looks ghetto and not sure I trust it.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

I reused the factory buckles on my euro gt3 seats but I'm using the brey krause side plates specifically designed for these seats. They have a spot that the factory buckle bolts to and puts it right where it needs to be. I was unaware there's a different buckle for the euro gt3 seats, can someone post the part #'s for them?
Old 01-03-2022, 03:45 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Since virtually all seat belt latches are the same size, I am using VW Corrado front seat belt receivers on my Sparco QRT's. The Corrado automatic electric seat belts used a long metal tab to mount the receptacle, which I drilled to suit the Sparco side mounts.
I believe that 958 Cayenne front receivers would be about the same height judging from pictures. They may be much cheaper, too.
I am one of those thin guys that puts the OEM belt through both lap belt holes so I set up the receiver to be just below the inner side lap belt hole. It's a bit of a fiddle to get buckled. I also have to roll up a towel to put between my left hip and the seat to keep from sliding around.

Part#'s for the 997 OEM GT3 buckles are 997.803.183.03 & 997.803.183.10 and they are about $180 each.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

It looks like the longest OE latches (~10.25"/10.5" inches) are part number 997-803-183-02 and 997-803-183-03 if you absolutely want to have OE receptacles for your aftermarket seats...

I believe these are the ones on the right (longest) while our OE latches are more the length of the ones on the left. I have the OE buckle/unbuckle/abs sensor defeated on mine with a 100 ohm resistor, but I suppose if you wanted to retain that feature paying $400 for a set of OE latches might make sense.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-03-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:51 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I like your build out! The Sparco's are definitely a bit more 'generous' in sizing than then the Pole Positions, though still not sure there is enough room for a buck that sits in lower than the edge of the seat. what about a much longer soft belt receptacle, like 14" or so, threaded through the hole but long enough to extend past the top of the side?

Also, what cage/harness bar are you using?
Yea there's no way to fit in the seat with the receptacle also routed inside. I'm pretty happy with the way the seat belts are set up but wanted to see what everyone was doing to see what the options would be...not really sure I want the soft ones dangling around. The cage is an old school Heigo half cage.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:46 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I looked in my parts bin today and I have an extra pair of the longer GT3 "Sportsitz" belt buckle left and right assemblies. These came with my old Euro GT3 buckets.

$200 or the pair shipped CONUS.

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-04-2022 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:44 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Sending you a message John
Old 01-04-2022, 11:51 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

They look like the stock length units. I measured 8.25 inches. I need close to 12 to clear my gap so I don't think that will work for the way mine are in the car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?