Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 PM
Cliffkemp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are up in the air. Not an S so, PCCB Brakes are too expensive for me. Any suggestions on lighter than stock brakes? I want to keep stock size or at least be able to keep my 18s for my wheels. May replace the hood with carbon fiber and a fixed wing since my hydraulics are shot, too. Debating on the seats as no one really rides with me.

Question.... to take the passenger seat out, anything special to do? Special procedure for anything electric due to airbto or any thing else. Just unbolt and unplug or more to it?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:14 PM
Cliffkemp
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Ti lugs and exhaust here... lwfw, rear hydraulics removed and replaced with Rennkit...

Rear seats are gone too... not sure of what the realized weight loss is.

PCCBs too.
How are you liking the rennkit for the wing? Debating that as I don't want the stock hydraulics as they will keep messing up over time.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,174 Likes on 3,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffkemp
How are you liking the rennkit for the wing? Debating that as I don't want the stock hydraulics as they will keep messing up over time.
Love it, works flawlessly, 3" version.

Talk to Dave... he'll sort you out.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:11 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I am looking to replace some stuff on my 04 turbo. I would like to upgrade to titanium and aluminum bolts where feasible for minor weight savings. Has anyone done this and, without too much fuss, what opinions do you have? I understand some of the metallurgy issues and looking for opinions on that as well. Titanium is very strong with the right grade used and around 40 percent lighter.

I am not doing this all at once as I don't drive the car often. Aluminum is 60 percent lighter than steel but not going to use where structural integrity is a factor. Just looking to build as I go.

I have a convertible so, about a 200 lb handicap to start. currently put in 18 lb antigravity battery, Titanium exhaust with cats, light weight flywheel and clutch setup around 20 lbs., and back seat removal as well as nothing in the frunk. Lastly, put on HREs all around for lighter wheels and tires and Titanium lug bolts. Probably around 100 to 150 lbs lighter than it was stock. Does have a tune and turbos with supporting mods with around 550 at the wheels.

Thanks for future comments and opinions.
Yes, everything is gone in the front. Eventually, will replace most bolts on the car including trans bolts and bolts on motor where applicable so, will take time and money. Same for suspension and bolts that hold on panels. Once completed, I would guess around 50 lbs saved.

Talked to 2 guys who raced mx3s and said they pulled about 150 to 200 lbs of bolts out of those cars to race in the 500 dollar car races. Won't replace every single one but, no rust with aluminum and titanium and keep garaged and live just west of Atlanta so, no salt and only seen rain a few times since I bought the car in 2018.
Brakes are up in the air. Not an S so, PCCB Brakes are too expensive for me. Any suggestions on lighter than stock brakes? I want to keep stock size or at least be able to keep my 18s for my wheels. May replace the hood with carbon fiber and a fixed wing since my hydraulics are shot, too. Debating on the seats as no one really rides with me.

Question.... to take the passenger seat out, anything special to do? Special procedure for anything electric due to airbto or any thing else. Just unbolt and unplug or more to it?

I have to ask....why??? You're going to be wasting a ton of time and money and causing potential headaches for a few saved lbs. On a cabrio. What are you trying to accomplish?
I have also done all the basic weight shedding stuff - lightweight seats, steering wheel, 18lb HREs, exhaust, frunk empty, fiberglass/carbon decklid/wing, clutch, rear seat and belts, no rear fan, etc. Granted I have added a half cage. And my car still weighs 3300lbs. You really have to invest some money and time into ripping out the interior and replacing body panels with carbon to get below 3000lbs, which then transforms it into a track only car.
Those mazda guys probably just removed a bunch of stuff and threw it away, not replaced it with titanium bolts.
To answer your brake question, you could get 2-piece rotors ala Girodisc which will shed a little bit of weight.
And your seat question - yes just remove the seat. Make sure either your battery is unplugged or you don't touch the ignition while you're messing with the seat plugs.

Last edited by TrillyPop; 01-15-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:53 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I am looking to replace some stuff on my 04 turbo. I would like to upgrade to titanium and aluminum bolts where feasible for minor weight savings. Has anyone done this and, without too much fuss, what opinions do you have? I understand some of the metallurgy issues and looking for opinions on that as well. Titanium is very strong with the right grade used and around 40 percent lighter.

I am not doing this all at once as I don't drive the car often. Aluminum is 60 percent lighter than steel but not going to use where structural integrity is a factor. Just looking to build as I go.

I have a convertible so, about a 200 lb handicap to start. currently put in 18 lb antigravity battery, Titanium exhaust with cats, light weight flywheel and clutch setup around 20 lbs., and back seat removal as well as nothing in the frunk. Lastly, put on HREs all around for lighter wheels and tires and Titanium lug bolts. Probably around 100 to 150 lbs lighter than it was stock. Does have a tune and turbos with supporting mods with around 550 at the wheels.

Thanks for future comments and opinions.
This is the proper way to shed a few lbs on a convertible and it won't effect the suntan quotient one bit. Rule of thumb, every 100lbs lost feels like 15hp gained.

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-15-2022 at 07:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
Dingo (01-15-2022), Jferrante (01-18-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:31 AM
Cliffkemp
Track Day

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
I have to ask....why??? You're going to be wasting a ton of time and money and causing potential headaches for a few saved lbs. On a cabrio. What are you trying to accomplish?
I have also done all the basic weight shedding stuff - lightweight seats, steering wheel, 18lb HREs, exhaust, frunk empty, fiberglass/carbon decklid/wing, clutch, rear seat and belts, no rear fan, etc. Granted I have added a half cage. And my car still weighs 3300lbs. You really have to invest some money and time into ripping out the interior and replacing body panels with carbon to get below 3000lbs, which then transforms it into a track only car.
Those mazda guys probably just removed a bunch of stuff and threw it away, not replaced it with titanium bolts.
To answer your brake question, you could get 2-piece rotors ala Girodisc which will shed a little bit of weight.
And your seat question - yes just remove the seat. Make sure either your battery is unplugged or you don't touch the ignition while you're messing with the seat plugs.
Thanks for the info and yes, you're correct, they threw away that many bolts as they had no interior at all, no dash, console, seats except drivers. Since titanium weighs what it does, figured 65 percent of around 125 as the 911 has more bolts in general. No way would I try for under 3000 or really 3250 as, like you said, it would not look right. I was just doing the basics and a little with the bolts when I had the time and money. I do appreciate the info and input.

Similar picture on the rx8 pages, they showed weight loss of a sentra or something like it and showed the stages. It ended up like the Porsche in the picture and did 0 to 60 in 5.8 and loss around 1000 lbs with barely a shell and motor.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:42 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 294 Posts

Point is just enjoy your car. Some basic weight loss like exhaust, seats, and spare tire removal will be about all you will want to do.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:32 AM
Cliffkemp
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Point is just enjoy your car. Some basic weight loss like exhaust, seats, and spare tire removal will be about all you will want to do.
I have heard about some foam or something in/behind the wheel wells. Not worth it? Have I missed anything simple?

I thought the hood was aluminum but read it weighs about 40 lbs.

I have the taller 1 thru 5 gears as I had to rebuild my transmission. It didn't want to go into 3rd shifting from higher rpms. One or more of the previous 6 owners didn't seem to know how to shift correctly. My old 06 rx8 had 150k plus miles and bought new and the transmission in it shifted excellent when I sold it. The only thing I don't like is having a nearly 2 ton car with light weight clutch and 6 puck with a 3.15 first gear. Once it is going, it is very fun though.

2 more questions. Any possible way to get the clutch to start catching closer to the floor? Also, should I do the switch to the gt2 or gt3 style clutch actuation? Can't remember which it was.

Again, thanks for the input. This is my first 911 turbo. This is my first Porsche period. I am looking for knowledge and weighing what is worth doing and not as well as the why. I know that everyone has opinions and a reason why. I am no different. I am customizing mine like others do. Sound doesn't bother me as I have 3rd, 4th, and 5th straight cut gears. 6th is normal at .75.

I like Mazda and Porsche. 2 winning brands in Motorsports. Porsche more so... there is no substitute. I will have more questions in the near future, too.

Thanks again for all the input. I live west of Atlanta in Carrollton. Hope to meet some of you in the near future. I love sports cars in general especially Porsche 911. Something about having the engine in the back always intrigued me.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,174 Likes on 3,153 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
This is the proper way to shed a few lbs on a convertible and it won't effect the suntan quotient one bit. Rule of thumb, every 100lbs lost feels like 15hp gained.

Or, a 1/10th in the quarter gained...

I don't think I'd like to crash that.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:37 PM
Cliffkemp
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Or, a 1/10th in the quarter gained...

I don't think I'd like to crash that.
Ariel atom 911. Lol. Go-cart fast but, in this case, not very structural. Needs a roll cage among other stuff to be 'safe'.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:45 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

This is what I came up with to extend the seatbelts for the Sparco seats. Really beefy proper grade 8 hardware.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:32 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

I would think the buckle would need to slip through that hole to secure the driver/passenger...
Old 01-15-2022, 09:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
I would think the buckle would need to slip through that hole to secure the driver/passenger...
+1
Old 01-15-2022, 09:34 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

No it its impossible to latch in there, too tight. This is how all of the Porsche bucket seat cars are set up.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
This is how all of the Porsche bucket seat cars are set up.
Are you talking about all Porsche factory bucket seats?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?