Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:22 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
Also the cats got pushed back towards the rear o2 sensors... To the point where i could move them with my fingers... Ive never seen that before with 100 cell or 200 cell cats... Whats up with that?
you're askin' the wrong cat.

i have decat pipes, and an exhaust with cats. i'd like to run decatted again, but don't want to be the bad cat.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Anyone have a link to the Lacquer instead of the Enamel?

Correction: I used the Lacquer...

What the Hell?
I have no idea, i used the same stuff and i barely had to sand. Its been 2 years and theyre a bit scuffed but a polish would work, try spraying medium layer after sanding.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:04 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well after going thru the "sickness" for about 3 weeks at the beginning of March....time for an update!

I wanted to get some things done to the 996TT back in January. I had some pinhole leaks from the top of the driver radiator that drove me nuts for the better part of a year. No real coolant loss just the very slight odor of coolant after a drive, so I knew I would get new CSF rads at some point in time. I also had the "pleasure" of experiencing a total coolant pipe blow about 4 years ago when looking at 996TTs for sale. I happened to be in the passenger seat when the owner was driving it and it was sudden, scary, and his car needed to be taken away on a trailer.....sooooo.....

Well, I ended up having an incredible person take on my 996TT! I had the rads replaced with CSF radiatiors, screens put in to protect them, engine dropped, pipes welded, all hoses replaced, motor mounts replaced, plugs, fluids, new tires, wheels redone....etc....

So NOW my car is complete for mods for the moment.

She drives amazingly and I am ecstatic about the work done. I am going to get in trouble

I installed a bunch of LED lights in the garage after I felt good enough to start tackling home projects (I still need to hide the wires). I also need to get the garage cleaned up and ready for epoxy on the floors and new cabinets but that will happen over the next couple of months.

So now that it is back I have been doing a bunch of cosmetic things....headlight restoration, paint correction, new set of winter OEM wheels (thanks @pfbz ) and spending time bringing it back to as close to original as I can.

Here are a few pics from the headlight resto and some pics from last weekend for paint correction.

I have a plan for this weekend to get every swirl and love mark out of the paint and then the meticulous rock chip touch up happens ...... wetsand, correct, etc..... Once I get it all fixed up PPF will be applied to the car so that the damn Colorado rocks wont "hurt" as much

The following users liked this post:
pfbz (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
If you don't mind telling - how much are you into the gear box for?

don’t mind at all, here’s the receipt to be straight up.
Originally Posted by manimal
Congrats! How does she feel? Did you do the GT2 slave conversion?
****ing awesome. Only have about 100 miles on her so far. And yes went gt2 slave. Clutch was stiffer then expected but got use to it quickly. Will see how she does in stop and go!

Old 05-24-2020, 04:18 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Thank you Sir, but the real question is - how does it work, and, do you like it?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:26 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag

****ing awesome. Only have about 100 miles on her so far. And yes went gt2 slave. Clutch was stiffer then expected but got use to it quickly. Will see how she does in stop and go!

nice. no extra charge for setting the gear lash to accomodate the wavetrac. cool. that $350 "billet bearing plate" part? is that raders version of a "shift arrester"? to mitigate the possibility of second gear popout ( though im sure rader shims to the updated long ago and correct shim specs ).

california motorsports also makes and sells one of those.a "billet shift arrester" ( or detent whatever they call it ).

anyway, nice fresh trans - should give many miles of issue free shifting. congrats.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:33 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

"perform steps to attempts to cure 2nd gear pop out issue"

I have definitely heard stories of recurrence after a tranny rebuild/re-shim. I wonder if the famous Rader outfit would stand by their work and fix it again if it were to recur.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrillyPop

I have definitely heard stories of recurrence after a tranny rebuild/re-shim. I wonder if the famous Rader outfit would stand by their work and fix it again if it were to recur.
I think the bold attempt signifies cust was told or signed document that it wasnt a sure thing.
The following users liked this post:
k9turbo (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:38 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

i would think he'd have to, no? if it were soon enough "after". i had mine repaired under warranty in a previous 96turbo, and the porsche dealership had to re-do it immediately! AND i had to fight them to get it (re)done.

all that's needed to "cure" 2nd gear pop is new 1/2 synchros and the associated parts and replace a 1 and/or 2nd gear if damaged. although its *usually* only the synchros munched and the dogrings that are "rounded". the correct shim specs are the "key" to doing it right ONCE lol
Old 05-24-2020, 05:34 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Yea, I tried that and it didn’t go well.

ended up polishing through the Wurth
i did mine a few weeks ago, you have to do a few light coats then let it cure completely. to get the orange peel out, either just use a compound polish or very high grit sandpaper like 2000 then will need to polish out... see below... i used a 2k clear...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post16628312
Old 05-24-2020, 05:37 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pancing
The had already sent money for the fabspeed before the leaf blower ordeal. I wanted quieter but not to the point where it was just a bit louder than stock, low end torque is crazy though. I really have to fab something for the speedtech cats though...

Also the cats got pushed back towards the rear o2 sensors... To the point where i could move them with my fingers... Ive never seen that before with 100 cell or 200 cell cats... Whats up with that?
they still sell the gen1? i'm happy with my kline exhaust... i have to dig out the go pro and get some driving videos for you... the 2.5" might be too quiet for you but they make a 3" model... talk to @SamboTT@ByDesign...
Old 05-24-2020, 05:39 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag

that labor rate is really reasonable...
Old 05-24-2020, 06:00 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Thank you Sir, but the real question is - how does it work, and, do you like it?
Love it so far. Shifts so much nicer, as well as I like the longer gearing. Makes first and second more useable. Need to get some more miles on it before I can come to develop more opinions on it. But loving it. Also finally did numeric cable's. Have had their shifter for about two years now.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

He was very clear he wouldn't. He said he's had cars that never had it and put the trans in other cars and they instantly did it (and vice versus). But he said with the full rebuild it was unlikely but would absolutely not guarantee it.

Had full respect for this take on it.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by kamlung
they still sell the gen1? i'm happy with my kline exhaust... i have to dig out the go pro and get some driving videos for you... the 2.5" might be too quiet for you but they make a 3" model... talk to @SamboTT@ByDesign...
Nah im gonna spraythe leaf blower tips and put them back on, gonna keep the speedtech cans for now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?