What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020 | 10:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pancing
Snails arent as audible though.
I have a side dump for my Type-R and when its on, at 9500rpm, it sounds amazing, like a 90s F1 car when their engines were awesome.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:03 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
It is unclear what precipitated this here in BC; initially, it looked like the coppers were focusing on young Asian drivers in expensive cars, until I got nailed, then I took it personally. We have the BC Motor Vehicles Act which is basically a modified version of the Federal Transport Act (passenger vehicles) and the problem I have with this is that it is not being enforced in a civilized manner - when I spoke to Porsche Vancouver a couple weeks ago, they told me that a current model GT# could exceed 100db with its exhaust valves open, so my question is one of fairness to all motorists; if Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini are producing cars that exceed the base level DB standards, a) how are these cars getting into the country and b) the standard should be uniform especially if my STI is BELOW the legal limit in noise production.

My M5, with a valved exhaust, wails under load, and it's legal.

Super frustrating, and I will win the current dispute, I just don't want to keep doing court on stuff like this - it is counter productive.
i suspect that whether intentionally or not, you have anecdotally identified the invisible yet obvious lines of demarcation btw the "haves and the have nots". ironically, you seem to be squarely in both camps based upon the obvious double standard(s). it seems that the laws aren't being enforced with consistency, and that's common here too. some call me crazy ( ok, fair ) when i suggest that our cars ( and those like them ) that average 9mpg with our collective foot on it are anachronistic and soon to be completely outlawed.

i say, **** greta thunberg, and fight the power.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k9turbo
i some call me crazy ( ok, fair ) when i suggest that our cars ( and those like them ) that average 9mpg with our collective foot on it are anachronistic and soon to be completely outlawed..
Not anytime soon IMO.

But +1 on the Greta comment.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

In Ontario, they passed legistlation that almost anything aftermarket is not allowed, including exhausts, suspension, even wheels and spacers (spacers were OEM on some cars like the 928). The cops here use these laws for the gangbangers that hang out at clubs at night, rev their engines and mostly drive Subarus and Honda's. To my knowledge they don't mess with Porches and don't mess with middle aged guys. I have techart exhaust which is pretty quiet at idle but comes alive WOT, best of both worlds. I used to have muffler bypass with 200 cel cats on my 993 turbo (listen to video below). My neighbors used to love the sound and called it the growling beast, but complained about the racing brakes squeeling. It sounded great but I don't require such a loud car anymore.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i suspect that whether intentionally or not, you have anecdotally identified the invisible yet obvious lines of demarcation btw the "haves and the have nots". ironically, you seem to be squarely in both camps based upon the obvious double standard(s). it seems that the laws aren't being enforced with consistency, and that's common here too. some call me crazy ( ok, fair ) when i suggest that our cars ( and those like them ) that average 9mpg with our collective foot on it are anachronistic and soon to be completely outlawed.

i say, **** greta thunberg, and fight the power.
Note that, in the state of current world affairs, Greta and her buddies haven't come up once...

I am not an anarchist, I do try to be PC, and I know that the line is not clear, at least in BC.

I fight on principle; I work in a world where quantifiable data drives decisions. If they got me in that way, I would accept defeat.

They didn't, so we fight.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:51 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
In Ontario, they passed legistlation that almost anything aftermarket is not allowed, including exhausts, suspension, even wheels and spacers (spacers were OEM on some cars like the 928). The cops here use these laws for the gangbangers that hang out at clubs at night, rev their engines and mostly drive Subarus and Honda's. To my knowledge they don't mess with Porches and don't mess with middle aged guys.
exactly my experience here in CA also. there is and always has been a huge street racing culture here ( really anywhere in the good 'ol USA ) dating back to 'lil duece coupes. hell, in my misspent youth 40++ years ago, i was a member of the mulholland racing association on the most famous porsche racing street in la. but that was "then". now leo's mostly "target" street racers that tend to be "kidz" in hopped up subi's etc. because they kill people on streets nightly. ( or used to ).

= and you're right when you say that "they use" these laws.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
In Ontario, they passed legistlation that almost anything aftermarket is not allowed, including exhausts, suspension, even wheels and spacers (spacers were OEM on some cars like the 928). The cops here use these laws for the gangbangers that hang out at clubs at night, rev their engines and mostly drive Subarus and Honda's. To my knowledge they don't mess with Porches and don't mess with middle aged guys. I have techart exhaust which is pretty quiet at idle but comes alive WOT, best of both worlds. I used to have muffler bypass with 200 cel cats on my 993 turbo (listen to video below). My neighbors used to love the sound and called it the growling beast, but complained about the racing brakes squeeling. It sounded great but I don't require such a loud car anymore.
I was not aware of that change in Ontario - that sucks too.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

exactly my experience here in CA also. there is and always has been a huge street racing culture here ( really anywhere in the good 'ol USA ) dating back to 'lil duece coupes. hell, in my misspent youth 40++ years ago, i was a member of the mulholland racing association on the most famous porsche racing street in la. but that was "then". now leo's mostly "target" street racers that tend to be "kidz" in hopped up subi's etc. because they kill people on streets nightly. ( or used to ).

= and you're right when you say that "they use" these laws.
A hopped up Subi has caused this grief...
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:59 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Note that, in the state of current world affairs, Greta and her buddies haven't come up once...

I am not an anarchist, I do try to be PC, and I know that the line is not clear, at least in BC.

I fight on principle; I work in a world where quantifiable data drives decisions. If they got me in that way, I would accept defeat.

They didn't, so we fight.
anarchist?! me either. but nor am i ( god knows ) "PC". but i hear you, but i do believe that those that input the data, inform the decisions with the results they paid for.

i believe that greta is just on a temporary "timeout" so the big boys could drop the hammer. but back ( sorta ) OT. i genuinely believe that the "sport" driving of our 500rwhp cars will "soon" be a thing of the past. how soon, is my only real question.

we shall see. still.. keep up the good fight. as best you can, and want.
Old 04-14-2020 | 11:59 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

A hopped up Subi has caused this grief...
yes, but you're not "irresponsible". or a "kid(z)" lol

add: i have a hopped up gti in stealth mode. believe me, i can relate
Old 04-15-2020 | 09:02 AM
THP23
Rennlist Member

Installed function first motor mounts and dialed the Ohlins R&Ts back to "comfort" settings.
Old 04-15-2020 | 10:44 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Like I said, I question that an official would direct LEOs to not enforce all speeding laws.
The town in NJ I currently live in has a long standing policy that the local Police are not to ticket residents for "minor" driving violations. That policy comes directly from the top, the chief of Police and township committee. I know this because my bother-in-law is on the township committee and and told me the policy exists. I personally have been pulled over for exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph, in a rural section of town. The officer laughed at be me and berated for being an idiot lead foot, told me about another resident that was doing 30 mph over in a Turbo S on the same stretch of road, complimented me on my Turbo, and let me go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
kamlung (04-16-2020), SeabrookPorsche (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:32 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

I started mine for the first time in a month. Today I'm going to wash it after I install my 964 RS engine mounts.
Old 04-15-2020 | 12:16 PM
flaudia402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I started mine for the first time in a month. Today I'm going to wash it after I install my 964 RS engine mounts.
Where did you purchase yours?

Are these the ones: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKRSMOUNTKIT.html
Old 04-15-2020 | 12:29 PM
Rebooted911
Rennlist Member

Rather than take off my turbo badge and paint it black and reinstall, I had one vinyl printed using the turbo script by a friend who sells them.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?