Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020 | 02:25 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Originally Posted by kamlung
what product and equipment will you use? with a PC, it's pretty damage proof...
I got a Griots G9 with 5.5" pads for the bigger panels and a G8 with 2" pads for the smaller stuff. Going simple with Megs 105/205 combo. A bunch of Lake Country pads, orange cutting for the compound and white for the polish.

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
Why did you remove the PPF?
It was of unknown age, at least 5 years old, and wasn't looking too great. After years of track time, it had lots of little dings in it and was yellowed. It had done its job protecting the paint, but was time to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
what ceramic product are you using? I assume you are going to apply yourself? I may want to do the same. Good luck and please post your experience with ceramic.
I chose to try out Blackfire Pro. It's an easy application, flashes quickly, and seems to have good lasting effects. I'll probably put on two coats. My experience using ceramic on the wheels is awesome. I use Shineseal on the raw polished aluminum and cleaning them is touchless. Just spray water on and everything just slides right off, it's awesome. I'm hoping cleaning a ceramic coated car will be just as easy. I plan on coating all of the paint as well as the glass.
Old 04-16-2020 | 02:49 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I thought you had 20" Roti's on it?
It had 19" Rotiforms on it, but I sold those separate. The current owner put the Champion wheels on it.

I wish I still had those TMBs for the Turbo.

Old 04-16-2020 | 03:37 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
..I saw my old C4S in a parking lot and stopped to take a look. It's not very evident in the photo, but the poor girl has seen better days.
I never visit car I've sold just for that very reason.
Old 04-16-2020 | 06:05 PM
Evan5469
Track Day

Installed new RSS motor mounts and took it for its first drive of the year. I’ve owned the car for 5 years and should’ve done the mounts a lot sooner because the old ones I removed had to be the originals. I haven’t noticed any increase in NVH at all. In fact, it’s actually gotten quieter, particularly going over bumps in the road. It’s also a lot more fun to drive and much more composed taking any turn at speed. I’d recommend motor mounts to anyone that’s still on the OEM ones.
Old 04-16-2020 | 06:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I never visit car I've sold just for that very reason.
I don't sell them at all for that very reason.
Old 04-16-2020 | 06:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It had 19" Rotiforms on it, but I sold those separate. The current owner put the Champion wheels on it.

I wish I still had those TMBs for the Turbo.

Yes, that is a pretty clean look. Sorry you had to see it downtrodden, that would suck.
Old 04-16-2020 | 06:47 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Evan5469
Installed new RSS motor mounts and took it for its first drive of the year. I’ve owned the car for 5 years and should’ve done the mounts a lot sooner because the old ones I removed had to be the originals. I haven’t noticed any increase in NVH at all. In fact, it’s actually gotten quieter, particularly going over bumps in the road. It’s also a lot more fun to drive and much more composed taking any turn at speed. I’d recommend motor mounts to anyone that’s still on the OEM ones.
Glad to hear your enjoying RSS Engine Mounts! One of the go to mods for any Porsche 996/997 in my humble opinion.
Here is a link for those interested: RSS # 624 Performance Engine Mounts
(Currently In Stock)

Old 04-16-2020 | 07:03 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

I'm in the same place as you right now, though I knew I was going to want an 8" sub and I just haven't built an enclosure yet. The old setup that was in my car had the dash speakers disconnected and 6.5s in the doors. I appreciate having the dash speakers back because I can actually hear the radio now while on the freeway. But I definitely need some bass.
did it take lots of modification to fit 6.5s in the door? i was thinking about doing a mid woofer first in that location to see if i could fill it out some more... what's your plan on the sub enclosure?
Old 04-16-2020 | 10:06 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

A previous owner had the work done and I'm not impressed with the adapters they made to put the 6.5s in the doors. The door cards don't even sit flush down in that corner and the clips can't even seat. That's the final step in my interior renovation I'm working on right now, removing those. I bet if you put more care into it you could make adapters that fit better though.

My plan for the 8" sub was originally the passenger footwell, but my wife is tall and I think it might take away too much of her leg room. So, I'm probably going to make a box that goes on the rear deck where the factory Bose sub would normally go.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020 | 06:36 AM
Mezger Man
Racer

I received my Rennline grill mesh kit. Installation to follow.
Old 04-17-2020 | 08:42 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

A previous owner had the work done and I'm not impressed with the adapters they made to put the 6.5s in the doors. The door cards don't even sit flush down in that corner and the clips can't even seat. That's the final step in my interior renovation I'm working on right now, removing those. I bet if you put more care into it you could make adapters that fit better though.

My plan for the 8" sub was originally the passenger footwell, but my wife is tall and I think it might take away too much of her leg room. So, I'm probably going to make a box that goes on the rear deck where the factory Bose sub would normally go.
thanks for your thoughts on this... everywhere i read about putting 6.5 in the doors didn't seem to turn out well. so i'll just keep the 5.25 in there...

my wife is 5'7" and while she doesn't normally need tons the legroom, she usually keeps her purse or the kids bags between her legs when we are all in the car... i thought about buying a rear deck bose box and modifying it and putting some JL's in it but it seems like crap build quality, alternatively i don't want to pay $2k for a stealthbox... it would be nice to do a fiberglass enclosure across the back with enough volume for a 8w3...
Old 04-17-2020 | 12:13 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
I received my Rennline grill mesh kit. Installation to follow.
Nice, please share some pics....
Old 04-17-2020 | 01:22 PM
ipman
Pro

Originally Posted by T Kono
Nice, please share some pics....
+1
Old 04-17-2020 | 03:30 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Unfortunately my PPF guy is installing it since he is adding a couple of things to the car. Pics will follow when all done. They actually have a great video on Rennline showing the installation.
Old 04-17-2020 | 03:33 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Isn't that on a 997?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?