Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
Tool Time:

Made up some high-side pressure testers. Read what others had done, but I wanted a tighter fit into the pressure hoses, so I took my dial indicator to the hardware store and found that 1 1/4 PVC end caps have the perfect diameter at 50.5 mm. Turbo outlet is 48 mm. Tank valve, cheap gauge from Amazon, pipe, primer, & glue and another amazingly cheap tool is born. Now I just need my WG actuators to arrive so I can install and do some testing.

I see your turbo drains are in fine and clean order...

So, you disconnect the outflow on the turbos, block one end and put pressure in the other - I take it there should be no leakdown, how long will it hold pressure?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:28 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
How does that look from the front now?
Unless you look very closely, they are almost un-noticeable

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh, those do look good. Cannot wait to get mine installed.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh, those do look good. Cannot wait to get mine installed.
Just be warned, they require a bit more “massaging” than you think to get them to follow the contour of the openings on the back of the bumper...

The end results are nice though!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

I see your turbo drains are in fine and clean order...

So, you disconnect the outflow on the turbos, block one end and put pressure in the other - I take it there should be no leakdown, how long will it hold pressure?
Actually, I think it will leak down, not sure just how slow it should go.........mostly I will be listening for obvious leakage.......the second I pressurized from the intake I could hear the blown diaphragm in one of the WG actuators. After the WG fix I will be searching out any further leaks......never done this before.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:30 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Sunny but a bit chilly drive today, shake down of some new upgrades. Man, I love this car! It is nearly perfectly dialed in and just does everything amazingly well.

Also hit a mileage milestone today.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I pulled the panels off the bottom to inspect the gubo joint and at 100k it looks perfect. Noticed that the widow weld filling I put in the trans mount about 2 years ago was backing out. Gave it a slight tug and it came out. Perhaps this is because my mount does not have any cracks in it to grip. I will do it again but clean it up real good with a bottle brush next time.
While I was down there I did a boost leak check. Found a real Whistler near the throttle body. Turns out I did not tighten the hose clamp on the Y pipe when I replaced the oil pressure sender, oops. I figured this should make quit a difference now that it is fixed. But I can hardly notice a change. Perhaps because it did not start to leak until it got to 10 Psi it did not effect the initial boost start only full boost. My k24s probably have enough reserve to make up for most of the leak. The old girl is over 100k and going strong, gotta love it. Next project is to start freshening up the suspension. Already did springs and B8 shocks. I think rear lower control arms an toe rods next. Anybody have experience with the vertex auto LCAs with replaceable ball joints?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Got my car back from the shop (annual alignment) and I installed my Rennline grille screens.

mmmmm, I wonder if they would be willing to sell just the attaching hardware. The mesh material is easy to find and easy to form / bend.
The following users liked this post:
tom__w (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T Kono
Actually, I think it will leak down, not sure just how slow it should go.........mostly I will be listening for obvious leakage.......the second I pressurized from the intake I could hear the blown diaphragm in one of the WG actuators. After the WG fix I will be searching out any further leaks......never done this before.
So, when you replace your WGs, and apply pressure, they should open at 14.7psi? And hold say 10psi for a period of time?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I pulled the panels off the bottom to inspect the gubo joint and at 100k it looks perfect. Noticed that the widow weld filling I put in the trans mount about 2 years ago was backing out. Gave it a slight tug and it came out. Perhaps this is because my mount does not have any cracks in it to grip. I will do it again but clean it up real good with a bottle brush next time.
While I was down there I did a boost leak check. Found a real Whistler near the throttle body. Turns out I did not tighten the hose clamp on the Y pipe when I replaced the oil pressure sender, oops. I figured this should make quit a difference now that it is fixed. But I can hardly notice a change. Perhaps because it did not start to leak until it got to 10 Psi it did not effect the initial boost start only full boost. My k24s probably have enough reserve to make up for most of the leak. The old girl is over 100k and going strong, gotta love it. Next project is to start freshening up the suspension. Already did springs and B8 shocks. I think rear lower control arms an toe rods next. Anybody have experience with the vertex auto LCAs with replaceable ball joints?
I have a feeling if you removed your guibo it wouldn't look so good. I only say this because I went through the same process.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

So, when you replace your WGs, and apply pressure, they should open at 14.7psi? And hold say 10psi for a period of time?
I need to study the system before chancing an answer, simply because I don't know. At this point my understanding is rudimentary. I believe the factory calls for 4mm of WG arm movement @ 1/2 Bar, so that sounds right........this will be a learning experience, I'll post what happens on the chance it may help someone. But first......time to study the system diagrams. Of course, as many have said before, the car ran fine.........
Old 01-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

If they are 1-bar waste gates you want to see the arm start to move at 14psi. BUT, talk to your tuner if you have software (and you should if you are upgrading the waste gates) because different tuners may have different criteria for how they want your waste gates adjusted.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

So, when you replace your WGs, and apply pressure, they should open at 14.7psi?
Stock wastegates open at far lighter pressure than 1 Bar when just pressure tested. Mine for example started to open at .42 Bar (6.1 PSI) and were fully open at .52 Bar (7.5 psi), which is pretty much factory spec. This can be adjusted slightly by turning the adjuster rod.

The way our cars make more boost is by using the N75 valve to modulate the pressure that is applied to the wastegate actuator. No voltage applied to N75, full boost pressure applied to the wastegate and it opens well before .7 bar. Voltage applied, and it feeds unboosted intake air to the wastegate, tricking the wastegate to stay closed and keeps building boost. The N75 is modulated very quickly (many times a second) by the ECU, creating the boost requested by the ECU (assuming good wastegates, good hoses, good N75 valve, correct tune in ECU).

My recollection is that tuners really don't need upgraded wastegates until they are requesting in excess of 1.1 or 1.2 Bar. The stock wastegates can be adjusted slightly a well with the adjuster rod to lighly increase the pressure required to crack the wastegates, but are fine for building stage 2 levels of boost.

And hold say 10psi for a period of time?
I'm just guessing here, but i think if you have a 'bad' wastegate diaphragm, isn't going to be some slow leak needing to see if it holds pressure. It will be torn and hold no pressure or the actuator rod might be seized. It will work or it will not.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-13-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Here is a crude diagram showing how the N75 feeds two different sources (boosted and unboosted) to the wastegate actuators, modulating the amount of boost actually made.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

By the way, wastegate actuator diaghprams and associated N75 plumbing is usually not tested by pressurizing the whole turbo system like you do for normal boost pressure leak testing,, but rather with a small hand-held pressure tester.

Disconnect the hose from the back of the wastegate actuator, connect the pressure tester, pump and note pressure when actuator rod begins to move and when fully open.
You can also disconnect the hose from the output (bottom connector) of the N75 valve, connect the pressure tester, pump and see that *both* rods move and at the same time.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?