Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:12 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
hybridporky, wow, congrats, that looks amazing.

I'm not normally a huge CF nor light grey guy, but the combo is just perfect.
Thanks!! I was afraid of getting too CF Heavy. But this is as far as i will go.

Originally Posted by RClurg84
Very nice!
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Looks great.

Where did you purchase the carbon fiber bits?
Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
+1, and any the costs?
Got them from both DB Carbon and Carbonlution. I came across Carbonlution first, but then found more pieces with DB Carbon. Pricing was both comparable. But i feel DB did a better job in terms of Quality of the original piece.

I believe what they do, is get old/used original parts (every piece had a Porsche Part Nos) and then laminate CF over it.

Total price was around the 2K range with some discounts for bulk ordering. If i had to do it again, i would pick DB.

The CF quality was similar, weave similar, but just the finishing, like sanding down, and the underneath (non cf wrapped parts). Not to mention customer service from DB was fantastic too.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DB Carbon

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Thanks!! I was afraid of getting too CF Heavy. But this is as far as i will go.

Got them from both DB Carbon and Carbonlution. I came across Carbonlution first, but then found more pieces with DB Carbon. Pricing was both comparable. But i feel DB did a better job in terms of Quality of the original piece.

I believe what they do, is get old/used original parts (every piece had a Porsche Part Nos) and then laminate CF over it.

Total price was around the 2K range with some discounts for bulk ordering. If i had to do it again, i would pick DB.

The CF quality was similar, weave similar, but just the finishing, like sanding down, and the underneath (non cf wrapped parts). Not to mention customer service from DB was fantastic too.
Thank you. Just to clarify, when you ordered through DB Carbon you just went through their website? (they have a lot of options!)

Thanks, again.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
Thank you. Just to clarify, when you ordered through DB Carbon you just went through their website? (they have a lot of options!)

Thanks, again.
Yup! Website! and they would follow up with you via email afterwards. Honestly, they had super good customer service. English was a little broken, but they understand perfectly!

ETA was on point too. Carbonlution was a couple weeks late, but to be fair, they upgraded my shipping so i got the items 2 days after they were completed.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice look Hybrid!

Finally got the interior and exterior detailed up without any major issues....

I did happen to find a "Dum Dum" lolipop behind the pax rear seat...LOL...thankfully it was still in the wrapper and no "leakage" onto the carpeting!

Next thing on my list is to find a service manual or a site that I can do my OWN maintenance...Plug/coil changes, Oil change, cabin filter, etc.......
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
Nice look Hybrid!

Finally got the interior and exterior detailed up without any major issues....

I did happen to find a "Dum Dum" lolipop behind the pax rear seat...LOL...thankfully it was still in the wrapper and no "leakage" onto the carpeting!

Next thing on my list is to find a service manual or a site that I can do my OWN maintenance...Plug/coil changes, Oil change, cabin filter, etc.......
Check your pm's
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bye bye 1987 garage door opener!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

PM back!

I want to do the coils and sparks this weekend unless work calls......I would rather do them myself as I have had some 'less than stellar' svc for my wifes Audi!

Now my wife likes the wheels!

Pic is with us this wknd at the local Best Buy store......

Last edited by pop.tremuloides; 07-19-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Photobucket issues.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Would have rather gone on a nice drive... Instead I fixed a few things!

Last edited by pfbz; 07-18-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:28 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Before I get a Cobb accessport some buddies suggested to do a boost leak check. Thanks to their help and guidance, the leak check has been accomplished. Surprisingly there are no leaks and holds 1.4 bar, but not even trying to get that much. Plan is around 1 bar for now.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Decided last week to order some rings for my gauge cluster. Picked these up off ebay.

They arrived Monday and I test fitted them everything was pretty good. Maybe a tiny tweak on one of the small rings. Anyways, ran by Home Depot to grab some silicone. Everything I've read so far says it's easy and takes 10 mins maybe. Well the middle ring was easy. After that, not so much. The right small ring that I thought I pushed on all the way wasn't, silicone never touched the surface. The left small ring wouldn't stay on, either the top or bottom part would lift off. An hour later I ended up with this.

Never doing rings again. And not going to do them on my Boxster now. What a mess for something so easy.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

[QUOTE=RClurg84;14335264]Decided last week to order some rings for my gauge cluster. Picked these up off ebay.

They arrived Monday and I test fitted them everything was pretty good. Maybe a tiny tweak on one of the small rings. Anyways, ran by Home Depot to grab some silicone. Everything I've read so far says it's easy and takes 10 mins maybe. Well the middle ring was easy. After that, not so much. The right small ring that I thought I pushed on all the way wasn't, silicone never touched the surface. The left small ring wouldn't stay on, either the top or bottom part would lift off. An hour later I ended up with this.

Never doing rings again. And not going to do them on my Boxster now. What a mess for something so easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, what a PITA...I bought these off of fleabay...great guy Robert in europe sells them...about $40 delivered...took a week to get here and snapped right on in 1 min.

Perfect fitment, no chance of them coming off. They are a bit more subtle than those rings, but didn't require that level of work/disassembly, nor any glue.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Had tints installed earlier today.

If someone is looking to get tints installed in the Chicago west suburbs, check out Tony at Tints Unlimited:

http://chicago-window-tinting.com/

Last edited by xmaciek82x; 07-19-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Had tints installed earlier today:

HOLY HELL BATMAN! I mean that in the nicest way.....AWESOME garage and 996!

We have been meaning to get our garage "up to snuff" soon.....but with three vehicles in it and a bit of misc stuff, it has taken a bit.

AWESOME photo! I love your car but since owning a few black cars in the past we couldn't bring ourselves to get another one. With that being said...OMG!

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

PS the drain in the foreground is something I would LOVE to have and will consider it when we redo ours! Nice touch!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:38 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
HOLY HELL BATMAN! I mean that in the nicest way.....AWESOME garage and 996!

We have been meaning to get our garage "up to snuff" soon.....but with three vehicles in it and a bit of misc stuff, it has taken a bit.

AWESOME photo! I love your car but since owning a few black cars in the past we couldn't bring ourselves to get another one. With that being said...OMG!

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

PS the drain in the foreground is something I would LOVE to have and will consider it when we redo ours! Nice touch!
Thanks! Somehow I ended up with 3 black cars right now. My daily is black, wife's car is black, and well.... the Turbo. Previous car, CTS-V, was also black... now that I think about, all I ever owned were black and white cars.

About the drain, go back couple pages and I posted pics of how I installed it along with some more pics of the garage.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 PM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Originally Posted by danspach
Bye bye 1987 garage door opener!

Very nice! On my list of stuff to do. Do they sell a shinny version of the button or do they only come in matte finish? Thanks

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?