Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 PM
schlupp2007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the passenger side on mine , contemplated the sweet looking csf but decided against it others looked fine , doing y pipe and throttle body I feel your pain about the slope , I'm on it
Old 02-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
I did not Jason, I was really leaning towards it and the price was not that much more to use the CSF's, but my '92 964T was so heavily modified, I have to decided to stick with stock as much as possible to prevent the inevitable slide down the slippery slope on this one. We will see how that works out...

Bill
Stock works good too, they lasted this long.

-Jason
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

after going thru bins of old aircooled racecar build take offs and selling & shipping & selling & shipping I decided to treat my new 911 with some proceeds of my last one... I took some of this found money and got a set of wevo motor mounts to compliment the SS transmission mounts I installed a few weeks back installing those today. took like 30 minutes, longer to drive to my pops' shop than the project...

after installed a Monterey county pelican stopped by the shop and traded me beer for an old engine yoke I had. winning!! it was an ebay unit so it might have been just worth a little more than a box of suds, but paying it forward is good karma..

after the yoke left my pops n I climbed into the car and headed toward Hollister and hwy 25. what a car. with the stiffening of the drive train and the new tires and 25 being very lightly traveled and exceptionally good rural pavement the fun level was very high. learned a lot about the car today, improved my shifting technique, found the car is a beast above 4k rpm, and realized the OE suspension has a ton of lean that at times coming from a spec911 was worrisome. not pushing hard on public roads, but ringing it out in a couple sections of the road I knew well was grin generating to be sure. did not feel the nanny one time, so im driving it well, or not driving it fast enough... that will be answered in the next month or so on the track I suppose...

very good day while finding it will be a long while before I can drive this car well, and I am looking forward to learning.

jb
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

Got the bill for the tranny repair, 997 shifter kit and power steering reservoir. Boy oh boy.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM
schlupp2007
Intermediate

It's freezing here in NYC only thing I was willing to do was new plate and frame
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Originally Posted by juanbenae
after going thru bins of old aircooled racecar build take offs and selling & shipping & selling & shipping I decided to treat my new 911 with some proceeds of my last one... I took some of this found money and got a set of wevo motor mounts to compliment the SS transmission mounts I installed a few weeks back installing those today. took like 30 minutes, longer to drive to my pops' shop than the project...

after installed a Monterey county pelican stopped by the shop and traded me beer for an old engine yoke I had. winning!! it was an ebay unit so it might have been just worth a little more than a box of suds, but paying it forward is good karma..

after the yoke left my pops n I climbed into the car and headed toward Hollister and hwy 25. what a car. with the stiffening of the drive train and the new tires and 25 being very lightly traveled and exceptionally good rural pavement the fun level was very high. learned a lot about the car today, improved my shifting technique, found the car is a beast above 4k rpm, and realized the OE suspension has a ton of lean that at times coming from a spec911 was worrisome. not pushing hard on public roads, but ringing it out in a couple sections of the road I knew well was grin generating to be sure. did not feel the nanny one time, so im driving it well, or not driving it fast enough... that will be answered in the next month or so on the track I suppose...

very good day while finding it will be a long while before I can drive this car well, and I am looking forward to learning.

jb
JB why did you stop racing and sell your spec 911?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
JB why did you stop racing and sell your spec 911?

it came down to amount of fun and usage per dollar which after six seasons of racing had diminished some. I was racing against the rich, and the very, very rich and was finding myself less & less competitive as the politics of the class changed some of the rules that were in place to balance the grid out. example: the dissolving of trophy weight being one factor.

I was (am) on a tight budget and spending between 10-12K dollars a season for 6-7 race weekends a year was becoming less and less appealing. $2500 a year on tires, transmission work every two years, & other consumables such as brake pads and the like along with entry and paddock living was not sustainable. even though I did the bulk of the work myself the expenses remained high.

at the outset of the build I enjoyed working on the car nearly as much as racing it, that however faded some after touching and turning every nut & bolt a dozen times over the course of it's development. I really had to drag myself out into the garage to work on it after enjoying 8-10 hour days every weekend during the build & motor rebuild in 2012.

ive got hours of race video to relish and relive, made life long friends and will visit tracks on race weekends to watch my old foes & my old car race compete moving forward. I will drive my 996t up there in addition to driving it most sunny weekends for much less than $10K a year, and if any of the recent back road jaunts are any indication I should not miss the racecar too much.

build thread on my spec racer here--- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/calif...25-plunge.html
Old 02-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,458 Posts

build thread on my spec racer here--- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/calif...25-plunge.html
Nice build, glad you had fun for a while. Trophy weight is always a contentious issue and everyone is trying to cheat whenever possible and having tons cash makes it easier to do so.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Nice build, glad you had fun for a while. Trophy weight is always a contentious issue and everyone is trying to cheat whenever possible and having tons cash makes it easier to do so.

thanks carlo, it was quite an experience. going and digging up that thread to share got me thinkin... so I did the "last" entry ending one story and sharing a pic of the new story, the 996t!!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:26 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

actually drove yesterday!!!! did around 120 miles up in the santa cruz mountains on what were for the 1st time since I got the car dry roads! as I get more accustomed to the car the fun level is increasing. still seem a lil more insulated from the driving experience from my old racecar, but I also have rediscovered the enjoyment of a twisty mountain road.

also the 1st drive with the BFG rival S tires I mounted. was not pushing the limits of the tires on a public road, but was very impressed with them in this small sampling. also washed the car yesterday upon returning from the drive so beer consumption was underway... after drying & putting away the car I had an hour or two to kill so I got to work on an idea id been noodling.

with the car safely tucked I got out the skill saw and fashioned my more time than money jackstand pads. coming from aircooled I always used the torsion tubes or a-arms with the standard cradle type stand tops. I looked around for some caps that would suit the 996 jackpad/stand decks at all four corners and all were too expensive for my taste...

so here we go, some 5/8" plywood, gorilla glue, screws & an old radiator hose that I cut & glued on the interface surface to pad the car points. please note the cleat I placed in the groove that Y stand top to keep them from moving when the car weight is applied. I used them yesterday supporting each side to in a test and could not be happier with how they work.

flame on the more time than money laboratories!!
I like them Juan Always a challenge using a jack stand with these circular lifting points.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbracerx
I like them Juan Always a challenge using a jack stand with these circular lifting points.

thank you CBR! if you reviewed my spec911 build you may have noticed im not the least bit afraid of sharing what I feel is a clever project that may not meet the more money than time criteria, but can be effective. what I can declare is that for every one that is photographed at least another idea ends up in the trash... also, I drink coors light in cans, and crush & recycle to recover on my investment..

and lastly, the JB handle is an internet persona, my given name is toby, but you can call me juan...

toby
Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

one last point none of you guys picked up on... the fact that when I started the project having been drinking beer the car was put away, but the skill saw was taken out. im flattered with your all's confidence in me... hehehe...

jb
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Received a special delivery package from Kevin;
GT3 RS 4.0 LWF setup
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Beautiful day here in God's country, so I left the 996TT in the garage and took the other Guards Red Porsche Turbo to work this morning. This was my son's first car, and now that he's in college, it sits on a 4 post lift in the garage most of the time. I just replaced the plug wires and fuel pressure regulator Monday night, so this morning I dragged it out of the garage. I gave it a good wash, filled up the gas tank, checked the oil, aired up the tires. It is a joy to drive this car - the turbo spools up so much quicker than on the X50 and it's fun to see the boost gauge go flying past 1.0 up towards 2.0.

Also, it's Porsche month at the Kansas City Automotive Museum (which is on the first floor of my law office), so I spent a little time taking some shots. The 928S4 is also one of mine. Would love to own that Super 90 cab, but that ship has sailed for me on my limited budget.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 02-18-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Received a special delivery package from Kevin;
GT3 RS 4.0 LWF setup
I have this same set-up. You're going to love it.

Originally Posted by kcattorney
...the turbo spools up so much quicker than on the X50 and it's fun to see the boost gauge go flying past 1.0 up towards 2.0.
Get the UMW K24 tune/wastegate combo and spool lag-time will not be an issue.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?