Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I've always slammed on the brakes when I see a cop. I was told by one a few years back that he will go easier on you because you "respect the badge". Makes his weenie feel bigger too I guess.
Who knows. Every cop is different, I imagine.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Is that the go to jail, do not pass go and collect $200, point?
One of my brothers is an officer (in a different jurisdiction than I live in, and this could vary from place to place) but he said there is not dividing line for must go to jail with regards to speeding or reckless. Just depends on the officer. He said he can take you to jail and impound the car for any speed over the limit and make you go through booking and post bail, or write the ticket and let you go home for 100 over and reckless. Lot of leeway there, which matches my experience with getting government sponsored fast driving awards throughout the country.
The following users liked this post:
rituxumab (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
government sponsored fast driving awards
LOLOL.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,116 Likes on 3,116 Posts

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Ouch. That is a lot of coin for a ticket. Lucky to get out of it. I usually coast when I see a cop vs slamming on the brakes. In front of you they can see your nose dive and in rear they see the brake lights. Some states that looks like an admission of guilt to a cop, hah.

We did not make it out of the city when we visited. Next time I will try to ferry over to Victoria or drive to Whistler.
This was way back in the day, it is no longer like this in BC/AB - now, automatic impound, huge fine, mandatory court date.

Governance is killing all our fun.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I've always slammed on the brakes when I see a cop. I was told by one a few years back that he will go easier on you because you "respect the badge". Makes his weenie feel bigger too I guess.
Likewise here; his radar has to sample three to four times to pin the speed, quick decel screws up that average.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T10Chris
One of my brothers is an officer (in a different jurisdiction than I live in, and this could vary from place to place) but he said there is not dividing line for must go to jail with regards to speeding or reckless. Just depends on the officer. He said he can take you to jail and impound the car for any speed over the limit and make you go through booking and post bail, or write the ticket and let you go home for 100 over and reckless. Lot of leeway there, which matches my experience with getting government sponsored fast driving awards throughout the country.
That is interesting - my god brother was a cop until he went into private security here in Vancouver, got to do a couple of the Cop Driving Days out at Boundary Bay, received some neat training, and it stuck.

In Canada, we have a formal charge called, Driving Without Due Care and Attention, and it is effectively left up to the officer to define what that is prior to writing the ticket. This usually includes a road side 'investigation' once they've pulled you over in an effort to define whether you were being a dick, or just driving fast. Brother told me that the way to handle that if pulled over and questioned, is to always be polite, don't argue, and focus on the skills needed to drive the vehicle fast - not to comment on listening to loud music, talking on the phone, or anything that would otherwise distract you from focusing on the road.

There are also exceptions to this, which will automatically draw that charge - an accident, with a debris field of greater than 500 feet, a witness, that can be verified, and direct observation by the officer of excessive speed, which used to be 100mph +, until they changed the laws where it is now 40kmh over the posted limit in BC, and anything over 150kmh in Alberta.

These updated laws directly influenced the way I drive on the highway; now, it's about maintaining the highest possible running average over a given distance, within the scope of the law.

The best section of road to do this on in BC is the Coke, where the posted limit is 120kmh, so you can run up to 160kmh and not worry about going to jail. The shortcoming is the section of road you can do this on is only 200kms long, so the best possible average (safely) is 150kmh (with a 10kmh cushion).

Which means, if you're really good, you can drive from Kamloops to Hope in 1h20m.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (Today)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?