What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 06:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,115 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
A friend recently got tired of the McLarenness of his McLaren and went back to 991TT. Motec is on the way and building him a McLaren killer/DIY GT2RS.
I fight this bug almost daily.

I think I have at least one more stretch of factory warranty in me... Three years, after next year.
Old 08-13-2024, 06:58 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I have not driven a McLaren, but from a numbers perspective, they are most dominant.

After the reminder of my preferred driving style as I age (time over distance, high avg miles per hour), I am fairly certain that the McLaren would be lost on me.

I caught myself this morning eclipsing a very high rate of speed, comfortably, with no drama. Got me thinking, how much do I really need?

Area 27, to which I have been invited to, is really the only track of note in Canada, a couple of good ones south of me, and close to you.... But if I can extract immense enjoyment out of a 450 mile run, over the course of several hours, it's a hard sell to build a track ready car, especially because Montana exists and is just a few short hours away.
I am wrapping up a 993 Turbo project. It makes about half the power of the 996 Turbo I posted above. Yesterday I completed a 100 mile test drive to make sure the fueling did what it was supposed to do at 11000 feet elevation. I never exceeded 65mph, but still a very enjoyable drive.

Old 08-13-2024, 08:35 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CTS
I am wrapping up a 993 Turbo project. It makes about half the power of the 996 Turbo I posted above. Yesterday I completed a 100 mile test drive to make sure the fueling did what it was supposed to do at 11000 feet elevation. I never exceeded 65mph, but still a very enjoyable drive.
I have driven a couple of the air cooled twins, they are most certainly the pinnacle of the air cooled turbos, 500+HP in one would be pretty fantastic. I felt in stock trim, they are a little more laggy than the 996.
Old 08-13-2024, 11:19 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
A friend recently got tired of the McLarenness of his McLaren and went back to 991TT. Motec is on the way and building him a McLaren killer/DIY GT2RS.
McLaren's definitely have some "McLarenness"... Some folks seem to have great experiences with them, others less so. I think there quality and consistency improved greatly starting model year 2020, but a combination of a buggy car and not having a great dealer nearby can certainly dampen the experience.

No doubt a 991 Turbo is a great platform (and one of the few) where you could build a Mclaren killer and not end up spending double what an actual McLaren costs. One of the issues is the curb weight on a Turbo S starts off at least 400 pounds more than a 720S. And the carbon monocoque provides huge stiffness right out of the gate. Stiff, powerful, light, and designed by guys who really know race cars is a potent combo to overcome.

Old 08-13-2024, 11:27 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
#3 You know where I am on K16 vs K24's. The K24's are the turbo's Porsche should've put on all of these, power dying off up top shows that the turbo choice is too small. You can adjust power delivery with gear choice. The K24's equal the K16's at 4000rpm and rocket away from there. Unless you're in a really low speed corner, the K16's aren't really better. I don't ever feel like my K24's don't have enough torque down low but up top they're epic.
There are tons of comparatively "low speed" corners in our typical morning twisties... Switchbacks galore going up Deer Creek, Squaw Pass, Golden Gate, etc.. I want the torque coming on strong at 3,000, not 4,000, and I'm OK with power tapering off near redline. Again, in the twisties. Track is a different story. And sure, you could re-gear a car to shift the power to the speed/rpm range you are looking for, but that is far from a cost effective solution in a 996 Turbo.
Old 08-13-2024, 11:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My car has become more of a highway car than a city car - I cannot really ring it out without going stupid fast.

I like the k16s in the city, k24s on the open road.

980s TBD.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
McLaren's definitely have some "McLarenness"... Some folks seem to have great experiences with them, others less so. I think there quality and consistency improved greatly starting model year 2020, but a combination of a buggy car and not having a great dealer nearby can certainly dampen the experience.

No doubt a 991 Turbo is a great platform (and one of the few) where you could build a Mclaren killer and not end up spending double what an actual McLaren costs. One of the issues is the curb weight on a Turbo S starts off at least 400 pounds more than a 720S. And the carbon monocoque provides huge stiffness right out of the gate. Stiff, powerful, light, and designed by guys who really know race cars is a potent combo to overcome.
We need to do a private test day at HPR and you need to bring your 720S Paul like we talked about. Would be fun to see what kind of times your 720S can turn compared to the typical 6TT and other Porsches out there for which we have documented lap times. I'll throw my 996 into the mix. When I drove your 720S a few months back, I realized there is simply no way to safely exploit the car on the street. It really needs to be on track.

Last edited by powdrhound; Yesterday at 02:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pfbz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

the 991TT seems almost like a boring car to have...you can run high 9s with a tune and an exhaust more or less from what I gather.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

There are tons of comparatively "low speed" corners in our typical morning twisties... Switchbacks galore going up Deer Creek, Squaw Pass, Golden Gate, etc.. I want the torque coming on strong at 3,000, not 4,000, and I'm OK with power tapering off near redline. Again, in the twisties. Track is a different story. And sure, you could re-gear a car to shift the power to the speed/rpm range you are looking for, but that is far from a cost effective solution in a 996 Turbo.
Just drive one gear lower in those corners, problem solved and money saved! Haha.

Your McLaren is nuts, on a totally different level. The amount of money you'd need to spend on a 996 to bring it to McLaren levels is to the point that it just doesn't make sense to do.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmmontana...
That's what I figured you drove. Great open road car. Are there any no speed limit areas?
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vtec_
the 991TT seems almost like a boring car to have...you can run high 9s with a tune and an exhaust more or less from what I gather.
Hah. Sign me up for that level of boring any day.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
shaka__zulue
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what color are your wheels on your artic? Its a much better contrast imho than the black wheels that I have and makes me want to powdercoat mine to something similar.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
That's what I figured you drove. Great open road car. Are there any no speed limit areas?
Not anymore, however, the State guys are pretty liberal about it - I followed a trooper for about 15 miles and he was running 115+, didn't seem at all bothered I kept up with him, waved when he pulled off the highway.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Not anymore, however, the State guys are pretty liberal about it - I followed a trooper for about 15 miles and he was running 115+, didn't seem at all bothered I kept up with him, waved when he pulled off the highway.
Wow. That's awesome. I have driven open roads in Wyoming in a ****box but the troopers were ticket happy.
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Wow. That's awesome. I have driven open roads in Wyoming in a ****box but the troopers were ticket happy.
Yes, I only wish he went for longer because the moment he pulled off, I scrubbed about 30mph.

Fun fact, two times ago when I did this run, I was fueling up at Conoco and this trooper pulled in with a charger, sounded lumpy. Turned out it was, 500+ HP, armed to the teeth, really nice guy. We got to talking and he said in Montana, they won't even look at you doing 10 over, and as long as you aren't driving like a 'yobbo' (his words), they'll leave you alone, primarily because they are under staffed on highway patrol units.

I think this to be relatively true, only saw a couple of troopers the whole way through the state.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?