Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are some photos to mull over: This helps to visualize what might have been above or below the waterline.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:46 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

If anyone gets a wet 996turbo for $2k they work for the insurance or yard it's at. Everyone knows there are lots of parts still worth much more, dream on.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:45 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I realize it's rather unlikely. But I'm an optimist, heck, I met a guy years back who won a Powerball lottery a year or so ago. What are the odds of even meeting someone who's going to win over 300 million bucks someday?

I can ask and they can say no. Or maybe..."Yes, we've got it, that's the price, come get it!".

No harm in asking.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
If the car is really where the ad says it is, and really being offered at the asking price, then I've got the real angel on one shoulder, devil on the other situation to contend with.

Because that's only a few hours drive from me if it's really in north Miami.

I would certainly be inclined to take a chance for just 2K. I know that if it just was too much for me I could part it out for more than that.

But, I almost hate to admit it, recent circumstances have left me with so little in the way of discretionary funds that even at that incredible price it's a stretch. One I'm not sure I can actually make.

Yeah, 2 grand is a lot of money for me right now. But that's only because I am not going to exceed what I've set aside in my "fun money" pool. I could tap a credit card. But I won't. I could dip into savings or an investment account. But I won't. I consider the budgetary limits I set for myself to be sacred things.
Not to put too fine a point on it but if $2K is a stretch to buy a flooded 996 Turbo what in the world are you going to use to fix the car?

Or if you plan on parting the car I think 911mhawk was spot on. This car won't even make it off the tow truck before someone at the yard, or a friend of the tow truck operator, has the car bought.

Rather than an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other I think you have a devil on both shoulders. If spending $2K would leave you short of discrentionary funds my advice would be to sit on the $2K and give this car a pass.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:50 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Not to put too fine a point on it but if $2K is a stretch to buy a flooded 996 Turbo what in the world are you going to use to fix the car?

Or if you plan on parting the car I think 911mhawk was spot on. This car won't even make it off the tow truck before someone at the yard, or a friend of the tow truck operator, has the car bought.

Rather than an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other I think you have a devil on both shoulders. If spending $2K would leave you short of discrentionary funds my advice would be to sit on the $2K and give this car a pass.

+1
Old 04-05-2018, 09:12 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by s65e90
The source of the mold is not feces . Sure the water is gray water and disgusting, but the mold is from the car being soaked inside and sitting out in the warm weather with the windows up. It's essentially a terrarium. Right away the front windows fog/condense and in one-two days the mold will be over everything 100%
I'm reviving this old thread because of an article that just got printed today in the Wall Street Journal, entitled, "Hurricane-Damaged Cars Moving Again as U.S. Exports."

I can't paste the article in due to copyright restrictions, and giving a link to the article on what is a paid site won't get you the article. What will get you the article is doing a google search on this title, plus "wall street journal" as search terms, because the WSJ lets you read for free a limited number of articles you "happen to find" with a Google search.

The bottom line is that a lot of these disgusting cars are going to show up for sale in other countries, possibly without reference to what happened to them before they left the USA, and got "restored" elsewhere.

Let the buyer beware.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 PM
MtnDogGeoff
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

came across this thread searching the vin.. this is for sale at a rebuilt car lot local to me for 49k!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

49k!?!?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

http://www.luxurycars.com/2005-Porsc...0/Details.aspx

Can you imagine the clean up it took.. Interesting to see what the engine leak down numbers are. At least one cylinder had the exhaust valve open.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I'm reviving this old thread because of an article that just got printed today in the Wall Street Journal, entitled, "Hurricane-Damaged Cars Moving Again as U.S. Exports."

I can't paste the article in due to copyright restrictions, and giving a link to the article on what is a paid site won't get you the article. What will get you the article is doing a google search on this title, plus "wall street journal" as search terms, because the WSJ lets you read for free a limited number of articles you "happen to find" with a Google search.

The bottom line is that a lot of these disgusting cars are going to show up for sale in other countries, possibly without reference to what happened to them before they left the USA, and got "restored" elsewhere.

Let the buyer beware.

Sadly, title washing still exists and is not too hard. Plenty of car lots exist from Sandy and now Irma flood cars. Caveat emptor is a must.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM
champignon
Pro

Sadly, title washing still exists and is not too hard. Plenty of car lots exist from Sandy and now Irma flood cars. Caveat emptor is a must.
What does Carfax and Autocheck show for the titling of this particular car? Does anyone have access and can they report back?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by champignon
What does Carfax and Autocheck show for the titling of this particular car? Does anyone have access and can they report back?

Interesting but their site doesn't list the title in description. I called and left a message.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 PM
s65e90
Race Car

IMO they have that car listed at a clean title price. Crazy. Who wants that? lol
Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 PM
champignon
Pro

IMO they have that car listed at a clean title price. Crazy. Who wants that? lol
They are entitled to price the car for whatever price they think they can sell it for. On the other hand, a car that was totaled out by an insurance company, especially under this kind of circumstance, and then selling it as if nothing ever happened, is just plain fraudulent.

There are cars that end up with salvage titles, that have no frame damage and that could easily be repaired; these are the exception, but this does occasionally happen in the case of a car whose market value is low, relative to the cost of repair. But that is not what we are dealing with here.

Hopefully, Carfax and Autocheck will show the actual history of this vehicle. Clicking on the link to this dealer, it is obvious that they are not disclosing anything, at least not in their online listing. Unlike some used car dealers, they do not include access to a free Carfax or Autocheck report.

Perhaps someone here is local to this dealer, and an comment further on them.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 PM
champignon
Pro

If you do a "print brochure" on this car from the website listing, this is what you find buried towards the bottom:

"Visit Imports Unlimited online at www.luxurycars.com to see more pictures of this vehicle or call us at 203-284-8989 today to schedule your test drive. As a used car dealership, we do not buy or sell collision vehicles; we specialize in buying and selling vehicles paid off in insurance claims due to water related incidents or recovered theft with little to no damage. Our vehicles are the opposite extreme of what most consumers have seen in the media."

So, in a roundabout way, they are covering themselves, but given the actual backstory and photos we have been given on this thread, this ain't no car that got parked next to a water sprinkler :-)

Quick Reply: Flooded in Houston