Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

wow... That picture says it all.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Still ain't skeered. Here's how I'd deal with that:

1: Obtain four (or more) large aerosol cans of Lysol.
Stab each can with an icepick (being careful not to skewer any body parts in the proces) and toss one into each seat, spraying generally upwards.
Close doors, walk away.

2: Next day, open doors to now thoroughly genocided interior and begin removing seats, mats, door cards, carpets, and insulation. All porous materials are removed, most likely to be chucked.

Repeat treatment in frunk.

Pressure wash entire car, steam clean all compartments.

Now on to getting an estimation of the status of the engine and transmission. Check the fluids, prepare for, at a minimum, complete fluid drain/flush/refill and hope for no evidence of water intrusion. Any apparent water intrusion of course means the labor and cost commitments will become higher.

Drain, flush, and refill all fluid systems.

Begin electrical system recovery/conservation work.

Interior to be replaced with a Sparco racing bucket and 5-way restraint harness. The rest
of the interior can stay bare metal, for a track car that's preferred anyway.

Bring it on. I'd jump all over that.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Still ain't skeered. Here's how I'd deal with that:

1: Obtain four (or more) large aerosol cans of Lysol.
Stab each can with an icepick (being careful not to skewer any body parts in the proces) and toss one into each seat, spraying generally upwards.
Close doors, walk away.

2: Next day, open doors to now thoroughly genocided interior and begin removing seats, mats, door cards, carpets, and insulation. All porous materials are removed, most likely to be chucked.

Repeat treatment in frunk.

Pressure wash entire car, steam clean all compartments.

Now on to getting an estimation of the status of the engine and transmission. Check the fluids, prepare for, at a minimum, complete fluid drain/flush/refill and hope for no evidence of water intrusion. Any apparent water intrusion of course means the labor and cost commitments will become higher.

Drain, flush, and refill all fluid systems.

Begin electrical system recovery/conservation work.

Interior to be replaced with a Sparco racing bucket and 5-way restraint harness. The rest
of the interior can stay bare metal, for a track car that's preferred anyway.

Bring it on. I'd jump all over that.
You're kidding....right?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Not kidding in the least. I'm totally unafraid to take on projects other people fear to even think about. I can always just chuck them if it goes badly, right?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not kidding in the least. I'm totally unafraid to take on projects other people fear to even think about. I can always just chuck them if it goes badly, right?
The car as it sits, it would cost 15-20k to buy it. The only reason is bc of the engine, if it can be saved. Are you just gonna throw away 15k? Must be nice! Also, it's not worth your health to even mess with human feces. No matter how ambitious you are, there are better project cars out there.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Possibly so but I haven't found them yet. I'm only interested in Porsches, nothing else is even on my radar. Oh, don't forget, tyvek suits, masks, and gloves are not particularly expensive. And it's not like I've never changed a diaper.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only imagine getting past that with the home too. Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

OP, very sorry for your loss. That picture is painful for any of us to look at.

cmjohnson, please post a thread with your progress! I like your attitude.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones R
Dude. I used to think the same as you regarding a project car. But flood waters are basically diluted sewage. Below is a photo of the interior a few days after. My car is always clean, so the source of that mold is feces.

The source of the mold is not feces . Sure the water is gray water and disgusting, but the mold is from the car being soaked inside and sitting out in the warm weather with the windows up. It's essentially a terrarium. Right away the front windows fog/condense and in one-two days the mold will be over everything 100%
Old 09-23-2017, 01:49 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that may be true. Mold spores are everywhere. Get anything wet and close it up and in a few days it'll be a mold farm.

I'm SURE there is some fecal matter in any flood waters. But anybody who ever swam in a pond, river, or ocean has swum where animals live, die, poop, and pee.

Copart currently is listing about 40 flood damaged Porsches for future auction. Some auctions end in just three days as of the time I write this.

I would absolutely bid on some of them but in truth I'm not ready yet. It's a matter of having liquid cash on hand to throw at it.

The 2017 911 that's shown running with no engine fault indicator is already over 30K in pre-bidding.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Kill it with fire!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2017 911 that's shown running with no engine fault indicator is already over 30K in pre-bidding.
Often attributed to P.T. Barnum:

"There's a sucker born every minute"
Old 09-23-2017, 02:44 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

And what evidence do you have to indicate that this car may not be a good value if it goes for under half its book value assuming no damage?

Anything can be fixed. I truly do not understand the mentality of people who think "wet = ruined". It makes me think that they themselves may have not bothered to learn any repair skills and would find themselves hopelessly over their heads if they were to end up in such a situation.

I hold firm to the belief that anything man can make, can be broken, and anything that can be broken can be fixed properly. The effort and cost involved is the only factor of importance. And the more skills I have, the more tools I know how to use, the better.

I repair wristwatches, cell phones (professionally), and have been tearing apart and fixing electronic and mechanical items my whole life. Including cars. A submerged car doesn't scare me in the slightest.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

That is so nasty. Wow.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
The source of the mold is not feces . Sure the water is gray water and disgusting, but the mold is from the car being soaked inside and sitting out in the warm weather with the windows up. It's essentially a terrarium. Right away the front windows fog/condense and in one-two days the mold will be over everything 100%
I think the car was inside.

Quick Reply: Flooded in Houston