Sponsored by:

Flooded in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:22 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones R
The insurance rep immediately called the Range Rover a total loss and issued a check today. As for my turbo, the decision is still out for review. The reimbursement amount for the RR was right around the "Very Good" level condition indicated in by NADA.

If the turbo comes back with similar results (IF they even decide to total it), that will hurt pretty bad. I really liked this car and it would actually be difficult to find a replacement.

The city of Houston and other areas of Texas are having a rough time right now, and the real struggle hasn't even begun. It is very hot and humid here and the amount of mold and rot that will come from this event will be monumental. When the sun finally comes out the heat will make everything much worse.

Airports are closed for the week and transportation around or out of the city is difficult if not impossible for some.

Hopefully next update will be a little more positive. Wish me luck!

Thanks again
Jay

--here is a photo of my favorite car before the flood

Damn man, this is such a bummer. Like many have said already, take the money, and find another. No rush as you probably want to get your house/garage fixed before you put cars back in there.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:44 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

So sorry to see the situation you have been put in.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:02 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 847 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
Everyone is talking about a car here because that is the topic of the thread!

I think everyone understands the tremendous loss people are suffering from in the area, but don't come in here trying to make everyone feel bad for talking about a car when it is well known larger losses have happened.

The OP is in no way trying to detract from what happened, only asked for fellow's advice / opinions.

@OP - hope it all works out and as others have said, hope your loved ones are all OK in the area as well!

okay. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

If fresh water,

Strip full interior.
replace any electronics under the seat.

install new carpet and parts.

If salt water,
Car is Fuct. Walk away.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE: Insurance company got back to me today. It took 5 days for a determination on the 911 vs 1day for the range rover. Both were declared total loss; I think the extra time for the Porsche was spent researching actual value.

I've very happy with the verdict, and am frankly surprised at how much effort USAA must have put into this process without me having to submit my own research for replacement. The actual value was determined to be $60,300. I submitted one comparable, and the original window sticker ($153,000) but I'm not sure that had any effect on the outcome.

Thanks for all the kind words. I've been helping with relief efforts as many are still displaced from their homes including some close friends of mine. I feel guilty that one of my biggest concerns was the 911 while others are still waiting for the water to drain from their homes.

I hope the salvagable parts of my car can help some rennlisters in the future, or maybe even myself in a few months.

EDIT: USAA's policy (and probably most ins companies) is no buy-back option for flood cars. I asked for the track-car potential but it's not allowed
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM
jungt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate your help with the relief effort. It truly is a sad situation for many folks down there. Many that were affected do not have flood insurance.

Good news on your insurance claims. I would ask how many miles were on your Turbo BTW.

John
Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UPDATE: Insurance company got back to me today. It took 5 days for a determination on the 911 vs 1day for the range rover. Both were declared total loss; I think the extra time for the Porsche was spent researching actual value.

I've very happy with the verdict, and am frankly surprised at how much effort USAA must have put into this process without me having to submit my own research for replacement. The actual value was determined to be $60,300. I submitted one comparable, and the original window sticker ($153,000) but I'm not sure that had any effect on the outcome.

Thanks for all the kind words. I've been helping with relief efforts as many are still displaced from their homes including some close friends of mine. I feel guilty that one of my biggest concerns was the 911 while others are still waiting for the water to drain from their homes.

I hope the salvagable parts of my car can help some rennlisters in the future, or maybe even myself in a few months.

EDIT: USAA's policy (and probably most ins companies) is no buy-back option for flood cars. I asked for the track-car potential but it's not allowed
I am glad that your insurance company is making you more or less "whole" on this disaster; congratulations for that much!

Once they have paid you off, you might want to post the VIN# in this thread, just in case the car pops up later for sale, after some "title-washing" or whatever, that could result in the car being resold, but not with a branded/flood-damaged title. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm glad you got a result that you are happy with.

can you share the specs of the car?

Miles?

tip or manual?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you buying the car back and parting it out? I would be interested in a lot for my roller project. Pm me.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I've heard that most insurance companies will total the car once water reaches seat level. So sorry for your situation. That's a fantastic car. Fingers crossed it can be saved.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Insurance companies are stepping up with offering fair claims. Lost an 08 Vette to the hurricane got 28,500 for it.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Holy crap! You got paid pretty well for the loss I'm glad USAA is doing the right thing. I've had great experiences, rear ended in a modified 65 bug and got paid in high school and 12 years later I crashed a 98 m3 in 2015 in the snow and they paid out 6800$ after the buy back and I sold it for about 6500$ after I repaired the bumper and wheels. Bad news for me when I got my Porsche is that pay out was charged to the Porsche and I had to leave them because the crash surcharge was so outrageous. I'll likely return this February when the crash is off my insurance.

Sorry for the loss if you need a 996T fix and find yourself in San Antonio let me know.
Best of luck hunting
Shawn
Old 09-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks for the update. If you're happy I'm happy.

You shouldn't feel guilty. You have to look out after yourself and your family. Also, I think getting this out of the way can only help you in your efforts helping others. Kudos to the insurance company for not dragging this out.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sveach756
Holy crap! You got paid pretty well for the loss I'm glad USAA is doing the right thing. I've had great experiences, rear ended in a modified 65 bug and got paid in high school and 12 years later I crashed a 98 m3 in 2015 in the snow and they paid out 6800$ after the buy back and I sold it for about 6500$ after I repaired the bumper and wheels. Bad news for me when I got my Porsche is that pay out was charged to the Porsche and I had to leave them because the crash surcharge was so outrageous. I'll likely return this February when the crash is off my insurance.

Sorry for the loss if you need a 996T fix and find yourself in San Antonio let me know.
Best of luck hunting
Shawn
Actually I misunderstood the valuation document. That number was how much USAA determined the vehicle is worth. Now the total loss department makes the final settlement. I may not get the full value so i'm not out of the woods yet.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:15 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Actually I misunderstood the valuation document. That number was how much USAA determined the vehicle is worth. Now the total loss department makes the final settlement. I may not get the full value so i'm not out of the woods yet.
Good luck. Hopefully it's at least a good sign.

Quick Reply: Flooded in Houston