Sponsored by:

Re-gearing for Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 822 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
byt the way i think all you PCA racers need to review some lap times....if Acura RSX front wheel drive cars can do 1.30 and mazda 6 can do 1.29...why cant you believe a well prepped GT3 street car cant get down to 1.30 or less regardless of driver???? YOU DONT GIVE YOUR BELOVED PORSCHE MUCH CREDIT
Maybe you should review some class rules. World Challenge Touring cars are far from stock. They are typically 2400-2700lbs with driver with around 290-300hp and have been professionally setup for that track by a team (gearing, changing springs, adjusting shocks/sways, etc.). They are allowed to run any engine management (motec, etc.) and raise the redline to in the 7500-8000 range. The Acura RSX can weigh 2600lbs with driver, so around 2425 without. That's freaking light. So a stock GT3 may have more raw HP, but these cars are just as fast in a striaght line (ideal gearing for the track + motec), far lighter so will handle better, and have a big honking wing. Oh, and they are driven by pros.

Btw, I had David Murray drive my car at Watkins Glen. I actually ran 1.5 seconds faster than he did on the same day (low 2:12s for him to high 2:10s for me), but he clearly is a much better driver than I am. So I don't exactly suck, but I'm not such an ego maniac that I think I can run with the pros.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jason,

Long time since I stopped by here and sure enough I find you here and I love this thread. So is the race on or what? This is something that I would love to see.

I can tell all of you this. I have only driven with Jason once at Tremblant before he was banned and I thought that he was an agressive but very capable driver who posted excellent laps with no previous experience at Tremblant. I've driven both Tremblant and Mosport extensively so I know what I'm talking about when I say that 1.29 in a GT3 would be a gifted lap at Mosport but NOT impossible. It would require the driver to really push the corners and it would have to be a momentum drive.

I would like to see Jason take a run at this. But appreciate that he has only claimed that he will kick your asses. The 1.29 is just gravy.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
we can do both.
I am willing to see you drive my car, but I want $65k US in cash in my hand while you have the car. I don't need to take your $10k when you fail to post a better time than I do.

Originally Posted by Apex Late
I can tell all of you this. I have only driven with Jason once at Tremblant before he was banned and I thought that he was an agressive but very capable driver who posted excellent laps with no previous experience at Tremblant. I've driven both Tremblant and Mosport extensively so I know what I'm talking about when I say that 1.29 in a GT3 would be a gifted lap at Mosport but NOT impossible. It would require the driver to really push the corners and it would have to be a momentum drive.

I would like to see Jason take a run at this. But appreciate that he has only claimed that he will kick your asses. The 1.29 is just gravy.
I think that's the issue here. He's basically making a fairly stout claim, yet had zero proof to back it up. At least mylaps has all my data, so you can verfiy my claims of a 2:27 at Sebring or a 2:10.2 at the Glen (in a PCA D class 964 turbo...not a GT3).
Old 07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
LastGT3
Racer

38D - when is the date...I want to watch this and verify this.
Pretty sure I would be interested what times noble vs the doubters will have - would be great if the 05 cup, 38D's ride, and Noble 997S could be compared - in the end it will the guy who braked the least.
I dont think Noble brakes much since his pads last forever.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LastGT3
38D - when is the date...I want to watch this and verify this.
Pretty sure I would be interested what times noble vs the doubters will have - would be great if the 05 cup, 38D's ride, and Noble 997S could be compared - in the end it will the guy who braked the least.
I dont think Noble brakes much since his pads last forever.
The race is July 28-30th: http://www.pca.org/clubrace/schedule.htm

I won't be driving any cars other than my own. I believe that Nobel will be renting the '05 cup from Rick. He can't run his 997S unless it has all the necessary mods (roll bar, seats, kill switch, etc). I am not really sure how he logisitically can run my car, as you can't just run someone else's car during a race weekend (unlike in DE where swapping is somewhat common).
Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Hello 38D,

As I'm sure you are aware lap times are just times for the most part. They are dependent on a great many factors that can vary from hour to hour let alone day to day. I'm not sure how much experience you have at Mosport but I can tell you that you don't want to challenge an experienced local driver to a race there. This track can be learned in a couple of laps but to master it takes even the most experienced drivers a lot of seat time to achieve. You may in fact have a bunch of laps there and if that's the case then we're talking apples to apples. However if you don't you will likely loose this challenge even if you and Noble are generally equal drivers his local experience there will not be overcome by a 2:10 at the Glen.

I still think this is a great thread have at er boys.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Isn't there a Dexter or other lapping day a day or two before the PCA race? I thought there usually was. This would settle this much better than having JAson have to get a race lisence, etc. I will be in the UK (where I live now), but my car is still here, waiting to get shipped over. And it's available, if needed. Unfortunately, it has the LWFW, but relatively useless Yokies (useless for track, i mean).
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, Noble is fast. Rude and crude but fast
Old 07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

As I'm sure you are aware lap times are just times for the most part. They are dependent on a great many factors that can vary from hour to hour let alone day to day.
Absolutely true. Conditions change all the time.

I'm not sure how much experience you have at Mosport but I can tell you that you don't want to challenge an experienced local driver to a race there. This track can be learned in a couple of laps but to master it takes even the most experienced drivers a lot of seat time to achieve. You may in fact have a bunch of laps there and if that's the case then we're talking apples to apples. However if you don't you will likely loose this challenge even if you and Noble are generally equal drivers his local experience there will not be overcome by a 2:10 at the Glen.
I have a grand total of 5 days at Mosport. It is challenging, but no more so than a lot of tracks like VIR, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio or even Sebring. It is more challenging than the Glen, only because it has more linked turns.

This had nothing to do with me. It has to do with Nobel boasting he can run sub 1:30 in a stock GT3 on MPSCs. Well, if that's true, he should be able to run the 1:24 in Rick's '05 cup. There is plenty of time for him to get his license, register, and work out the details with Rick. If he is half as good as he claims, he'll easily win the group and basically destory the whole GTA/GT1/GTC4/GTC3 field at the Mosport race. If he's not there, then I think we know the answer.

Then Nobel then felt his manhood was being challenged, so he offered to go against me. I accepted (with some conditions...like cash up front), but have not heard a reply yet. Still, he can beat me all he likes, but it still doesn't have anything to do with the sub 1:30 claim. He'd have to run a high 1:32 in my car for me to believe a sub 1:30 in the GT3.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Speedstar, a local tuning shop, is holding a day on the 18th (Im not going), and Genessey Valley BMW (upper new york) is holding a two day school 25/26th (Im going, but you probably cannot do what you would like at that event).

You could settle this on the 18th.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Next dexter is in September.
The next fully open track day is Sabato on July 19th www.6thgear.ca
They will let it rip.

FYI - it is not uncommon to hear 1:33 for a stock GT3 on MPSC. Noble can do 1:30 since he doesnt need the brakes and has had his fear gland removed and char broiled many years ago.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=38D]
This had nothing to do with me. It has to do with Nobel boasting he can run sub 1:30 in a stock GT3 on MPSCs. Well, if that's true, he should be able to run the 1:24 in Rick's '05 cup. There is plenty of time for him to get his license, register, and work out the details with Rick. If he is half as good as he claims, he'll easily win the group and basically destory the whole GTA/GT1/GTC4/GTC3 field at the Mosport race. If he's not there, then I think we know the answer.

Actually it was me that said he could do sub 1.30 cuz I've seen it. He wasn't boasting about it. One thing I might say is that the "stock" GT3 had the alignment done, sway bars adjusted, MSPCs, Fikse Profil 10s, GT3 seats and roll bar.

Again, my car is available for him to drive with the right tires on any (non-race) lapping day to settle the score.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason,

Long time since I stopped by here and sure enough I find you here and I love this thread. So is the race on or what? This is something that I would love to see.

thanks keith!
Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
FWIW, Noble is fast. Rude and crude but fast
thanks bob thats very nice of you considering what a dick i have been to you.

Quick Reply: Re-gearing for Mosport