Sponsored by:

Re-gearing for Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
Sub 1:30 in stock GT3 with just MPSCs? No freaking way. That's Roy Chong speed, and only 2 seconds slower than Rick Deman in a GT3R.
roy chong is in a 944 turbo.
stock is relative...neg 4.5 camber upfront with fikses and MPSC aint exactly stock.
i hold the production car lap record at another track in ontario, canada ( dunnville,timed by the track owner on a lapping day) in the same car so it aint impossible. besides im not claiming the time..others are for me.
Rick Deman aint fast if thats his time..look here:Bernhard/Dumas Alex Job Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1min 18.321secs Mosport
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Noble, if you could run sub 1:30 at Mosport in your GT3, you'd clean up in B Class and most of the PCA racing field. What's your background and experience?

Best time at PCA's CR last year was in the 1:25 range.

The PCA race is at the end of this month. It isn't too late to sign up...

Oh, and although Roy is in a 944 Turbo, it is a GT3S car with probably 400-500 hp and 2400 # range. I would be very impressed, shocked really, if you could run with him in a stock GT3 with only a "good alignment".

Who runs at Dunnville? I am not familiar with that track.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:44 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He will do sub 1.30....He has won a few races on bikes and can do sub 1.30 in a GT3...he can have my car this weeek to prove it. He can easily win races if he wants to!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think last year the top time in C was 1:30. So aussuming an equal driver the GT3 would be faster.
I know a guy there last year that is professional racer and was 1:24 in his GT3 Cup with WC prep.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I think last year the top time in C was 1:30. So aussuming an equal driver the GT3 would be faster.
I know a guy there last year that is professional racer and was 1:24 in his GT3 Cup with WC prep.
Don't assume much. The C class driver who posted that time is/was a national champion formula ford/mazda racer (I think, I don't remember the exact credential) in a car that was, er, well, faster than most C cars. The same driver in the same car has done 2:05s at Watkins Glen. Show me a stock GT3 that can do that time on MPSCs and I'll believe the sub 1:30 at Mosport. Or just show me video or an AMB record of the sub 1:30 for a stock GT3 with MPSCs and a "good alignment".

Larry Herman, fairly respected on this board for his driving skill, ran 2:08s or 2:09s at Watkins Glen in his GT3 on slicks.

I'd love to see Noble show up and kick our collective asses in a stock car on MPSCs if he can do it. Fryd, if you're loaning the car this week, put a video camera in it and post the lap. Do it soon, too. I want to learn something before the race at the end of this month!

Noble, do you know have any laptimes from other tracks for comparison sake?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Charlie,
Of course it was easy to tell that the driver and car where top of the class compared to the field. Noble might be an ex F1 driver for all I know. It would just suprise me if a B car wouldn't be as fast or faster than a top C car with equal drivers.

Another thing is that doing a fast lap at a DE or track day is a bit different than it is at a race, somehow the stop watches get calibrated a bit different
Just looked at the 2004 results and Keith Alexander did a 1:35 in his GT3. Not sure the level of prep or tires he ran though.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:38 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Noble, if you could run sub 1:30 at Mosport in your GT3, you'd clean up in B Class and most of the PCA racing field. What's your background and experience?

Best time at PCA's CR last year was in the 1:25 range.

The PCA race is at the end of this month. It isn't too late to sign up...

Oh, and although Roy is in a 944 Turbo, it is a GT3S car with probably 400-500 hp and 2400 # range. I would be very impressed, shocked really, if you could run with him in a stock GT3 with only a "good alignment".

Who runs at Dunnville? I am not familiar with that track.
my backgraound is motorcycle racing..and lots of lapping days in cars at tracks all over the eastern canada and US. i find cars to be much easier than bikes to drive fast as you have a much larger window of error obviously. and bikes take more ***** and skill to go fast. i really gelled with the GT3,plus Fiorano who won daytona with GT3 a couple years back set up my car so well i couldnt help but go fast. when we say it has an "alignment' im simplifying it. it had seats ,rollbar,wing shims,motorsports lip,muffler bypass,Fikses and MPSC plus a very aggressive alignment.. about as close as you can get to cup car performance without stripping it right out. in fact i found that the top speed and acceeleration was a little better than cup cars due to less downforce ( of course they outbraked me and cornered faster sometimes!)
Dunnville is a small local track that in the real world means not alot but to get a record anywhere shows im not a complete dog behind the wheel.
many on this board ( FRYD included) have seen me drive and know what is what. i dont treat the car like an expensive car i drive the **** out of it and that obviously adds to the speed too. im not concerned with crashing it. when on track i go as hard as i want,cars or bikes.
it is what it is...im either an internet hero or its true...people on here have witnessed my driving and can comment...Fiorano can comment...lee the head marshall at VIR can comment.....the marshalls at sebring for chin motorsports can comment...seth joseph in his cup car at sebring last year can comment...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Charlie,
Of course it was easy to tell that the driver and car where top of the class compared to the field. Noble might be an ex F1 driver for all I know. It would just suprise me if a B car wouldn't be as fast or faster than a top C car with equal drivers.

Another thing is that doing a fast lap at a DE or track day is a bit different than it is at a race, somehow the stop watches get calibrated a bit different
Just looked at the 2004 results and Keith Alexander did a 1:35 in his GT3. Not sure the level of prep or tires he ran though.
I agree, Noble could be ex F1, that's why I asked his experience. I would be psyched if he could run sub 1:30 in a stock GT3. I would be excited if the car was that capable. My only point is that Internet lore only goes so far, I'd like to see the facts.

I do not think the B class drivers who have run at Mosport so far are great. I have basically beaten all the GT3s when I ran in C (namely at Watkins Glen, Mosport, and Road America) in my Turbo 3.6. The GT3 should be faster than the Turbo 3.6.

I believe in the relativity of track times between tracks. Based on this, and knowing a guy like Roy Chong's performance at places like Watkins Glen and Lime Rock, using Roy's time at Mosport suggests to me that a stock GT3 on MPSCs would have one hell of a time running near Roy. Roy runs 55.x at Lime Rock and 2:00.x at the Glen. A stock GT3 isn't going to touch those times, thus Roy's 1:29.x at Mosport seems too fast for a GT3 as well.

I welcome the opportunity to be impressed by Noble. Show me some video or come to the PCA race at the end of the month (there is a DE that runs simultaneously if you can't get your race license in time and want to run at that and come by and say "Hi"). http://www.pcaucr.org/site/page.jsp?ClubRacing
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

for what its worth FRYD would kick all the PCA ***.....his performance at leclub at Tremblant last year in his GT3 with stock wheels, Dunlop SSR's and stock seats with 3 point belts was impressive to the locals especially because he had never been there before. i unfortunately was banned from the track after that weekend for my "attitude"
just ask Mike K
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Well, I lasted 'till the second day, but unfortunately the aforementioned SSRs didn't. Corded both rear tires. Those things are nice in the wet and good for a few heat cycles in the dry, but they go from being brilliant one lap to being corded (and dangerous) the next lap. Much prefer the MSPCs.

Re. Mosport, I can tell you where Noble is fast cuz I've done many laps chasing him. Up and into 2, he doesn't brake and likely carries 3rd /4th? gear to the top and then accelerates hard down into the double apex. We're probably the same around 3 (I downshift into 3rd) but he is very fast under the bridge and into 4. I've done 5a/b/c in just about any gear you can think of and there is always lots of debate with the Mosport dudes on which gear is best, but for me, I'm dropping it right down to 2nd and running 7,500 rpms through there just about flat out before grabbing third in the "c" part of the turn (yes, you do hit the rev limiter sometimes). Noble is also very quick through the 8 sweeper and 9 combo.

I'm sorry I mentioned a time though, cuz I've obviously stirred up trouble! I just wanted to say that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Mosport, and GT3s.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

You can definitely stay in fourth all the way up to 250Kph. before entering 8. I've been there.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Apex GT
You can definitely stay in fourth all the way up to 250Kph. before entering 8. I've been there.
you the guy who sold his vette and bought a GT3 after seeing me at mosport in my white one??
Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 821 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
for what its worth FRYD would kick all the PCA ***
Please show up at the Mosport race and prove it, otherwise it is just another empty claim.

Originally Posted by fryd
I'm sorry I mentioned a time though, cuz I've obviously stirred up trouble! I just wanted to say that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to Mosport, and GT3s.
The reason the time is trouble is that it is an absurd claim that a stock GT3 on MPSCs can run sub 1:30. At last year's World Challenge race, Patrick Long qualified in a GT3 cup at a 1:24.8. Now that's a Porsche factory pro driver, in a far superior car (wing, suspension, weight, tires). The very best Touring car just managed to crack 1:30, and once again that is a fully prep'd race car driven by a pro (Charles Espenlaub). Patrick Long could probably do in the 1:31s in bone stock GT3 on MPSCs, and you guys ain't Patrick Long. So either post some proof (video or AMB times) or don't spout off times.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Colin,
That makes the 1:30 time by a C car last year look very impressive. The tires in World Challenge are pretty comparable to the MPSC's though, in my book they are within tenths of each other.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by 38D
Please show up at the Mosport race and prove it, otherwise it is just another empty claim.

The reason the time is trouble is that it is an absurd claim that a stock GT3 on MPSCs can run sub 1:30. At last year's World Challenge race, Patrick Long qualified in a GT3 cup at a 1:24.8. Now that's a Porsche factory pro driver, in a far superior car (wing, suspension, weight, tires). The very best Touring car just managed to crack 1:30, and once again that is a fully prep'd race car driven by a pro (Charles Espenlaub). Patrick Long could probably do in the 1:31s in bone stock GT3 on MPSCs, and you guys ain't Patrick Long. So either post some proof (video or AMB times) or don't spout off times.
you have guykoken talking about 1.32 in the thread earlier and others not stepping up and arguing here about the times who know me and FRYD and know the track. im not claiming anything except what i typed earlier. dont be angry because you are slow.
to be within 6 to seven seconds of a cup car which is essentially the same car but lighter and more downforce aint impossible. mosport is a huge fast track,
talk to the people i mentioned in my earlier such as lee the head marshall at VIR. ask him about the canadian boy who gave him tim Hortons coffee in the white GT3 with the street plates still on that kicked the 996 Grand am cup cars *** in spring 2005. thats all the proof i can offer that you might believe. i dont time or make masturbatory videos. if im passing everyone i should and more im happy.
the Gt3 when set up properly is a ****ing fast and capable car and makes a decent driver a fast driver. anyone like me coming from racing bikes will be way ahead of the even above average car driver because it takes more skill and ***** to race a bike. cars seem soft and wussy like afterwards so you take more chances and the speed doesnt feel the same in a car as it does on a bike.
no car guy in recent history ever raced a bike and did anything. but, did you see valentino rossi ( Motogp champ if you didnt know) testing the ferrari F1 car??pure magic first time out.
fishman is right about MPSC ,they might as well be slicks.
anyway i cant show up and do anything unless you provide me a car as i now have a 997S only for street. i will give you a $20,000 damage deposit to lap your car at Mosport,VIR,Roebling Road or Sebring anytime you want...and if im not faster than you ,you can keep half. is that fair?? or we can both try my 997S at a mosport lapping event and the slower driver pays the other $10,000?? is that fair for you? you seem to be determined to be right so lets stop pissing about

Last edited by NOBLEGT3; 07-11-2006 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Re-gearing for Mosport