Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
One clarification on the video is the engine could have started in 3s if I had let it. I followed Jake's procedure of cycling the ignition key. Basically crank the engine but turn it off just when it fires up. Do that a few times to build up oil pressure before letting it idle normally. You can see the oil pressure needle jumps higher and higher after every key on/off cycle.
Ahsai: I think many of us who have been around and read a few posts understood exactly what and why you were doing on the initial start-up. You should be proud and happy as the result of all your hard work is successful. Great job!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:35 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Very well done Duncan! Thanks for providing so much of the detailed process you went through. I'm very proud of you! Good job.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Great work! Two thumbs up
Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Ahsai: I think many of us who have been around and read a few posts understood exactly what and why you were doing on the initial start-up. You should be proud and happy as the result of all your hard work is successful. Great job!
Yea, I know a lot of you do but for someone who has not been following all the details, the video looks like the engine kept dying and was struggling to start haha

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Very well done Duncan! Thanks for providing so much of the detailed process you went through. I'm very proud of you! Good job.
Originally Posted by dan_189
Great work! Two thumbs up
Originally Posted by billyboy
Congrats!! Nice job -
Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Your meticulous work paid off with an immediate and flawless first start. Congratulations!
^Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

driven it yet?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
driven it yet?
Not yet but will be soon. Can't wait!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Excited for you... Sincerely hope she gives you many trouble free miles.

Last edited by Hardback; 02-03-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:39 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys! More pics

Clutch disc reused as it looks like brand new.

Current state
I guess that this shows I do have a light foot when it came to engaging the clutch .
P.S., give me a call when you're done, I'd love to reunite with the 996.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So cool! Love the video congrats on a great build - we're lucky to have this process so well documented!
Old 02-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cringely
I guess that this shows I do have a light foot when it came to engaging the clutch .
P.S., give me a call when you're done, I'd love to reunite with the 996.
You bet! Would like you to be the 1st person to test drive it after me.

Indeed you were very easy on the clutch. The flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearings are all in great condition. I didn't know a new LUK FW costs ~$400 shipped to my door and foolishly spent $150 on resurfacing and rebalancing the stock flywheel.

Actually the blown engine was in very good shape (other than the IMS/IMSB and the natural cylinder ovaling). Both tailpipes were so clean with no dark soot. Fuel trim numbers were great.

Originally Posted by spruden
So cool! Love the video congrats on a great build - we're lucky to have this process so well documented!
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
There are others who posted parts of their partial builds. But there are several distinctions to Ahsai's work:
1. Ahsai is a Raby-school graduate so he is doing everything correctly- unlike other builders like me !.
2. He documented all the major stages and posted lots of photos
3. He confessed his mistakes
4. Named and shared the costs,equipment/tools/parts/sources used
And he took all the time to explain all this to us. That is a great gift to the M96 community/asylum
That said , any one who has done an M96 rebuild knows there is a lot that could not be included . There is way more to it than only what is described.
For example ,he was able to skip the whole bore/piston evaluation stage - worthy of many pages on it's own !
I hope this becomes not just a Sticky but a Section on M96 rebuilding - like Pelican has for the 993/964 & others for example. It would draw a lot of traffic and Sponsors to this Forum .
As these engines age & wear out, there will be increasing need for this work to be done diy so I hope Ahsai's work is augmented by others in future.
Thank you Duncan.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up

You bet! Would like you to be the 1st person to test drive it after me.

Indeed you were very easy on the clutch. The flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearings are all in great condition. I didn't know a new LUK FW costs ~$400 shipped to my door and foolishly spent $150 on resurfacing and rebalancing the stock flywheel.

Actually the blown engine was in very good shape (other than the IMS/IMSB and the natural cylinder ovaling). Both tailpipes were so clean with no dark soot. Fuel trim numbers were great.

Thanks!
I'll definitely take you up on the test drive offer. I am totally blown away to your attention to detail and documentation. I suspect that this thread will be looked at by anyone who wants to rebuild the M96 engine.

What makes me internally proud is that I sold my 996.2 to someone who gave it (and is giving) it pure love and attention.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
There are others who posted parts of their partial builds. But there are several distinctions to Ahsai's work:
1. Ahsai is a Raby-school graduate so he is doing everything correctly- unlike other builders like me !.
2. He documented all the major stages and posted lots of photos
3. He confessed his mistakes
4. Named and shared the costs,equipment/tools/parts/sources used
And he took all the time to explain all this to us. That is a great gift to the M96 community/asylum
That said , any one who has done an M96 rebuild knows there is a lot that could not be included . There is way more to it than only what is described.
For example ,he was able to skip the whole bore/piston evaluation stage - worthy of many pages on it's own !
I hope this becomes not just a Sticky but a Section on M96 rebuilding - like Pelican has for the 993/964 & others for example. It would draw a lot of traffic and Sponsors to this Forum .
As these engines age & wear out, there will be increasing need for this work to be done diy so I hope Ahsai's work is augmented by others in future.
Thank you Duncan.
Thanks Schnell. You went through this so you know exactly what's needed. Like you said, there are a lot more to it than posted here. I tried to capture the critical/interesting steps and my own ideas (can't post Jake's secrets).

Originally Posted by cringely
I'll definitely take you up on the test drive offer. I am totally blown away to your attention to detail and documentation. I suspect that this thread will be looked at by anyone who wants to rebuild the M96 engine.

What makes me internally proud is that I sold my 996.2 to someone who gave it (and is giving) it pure love and attention.
Thanks Cringely. Give me some time to break in the engine and sort out the car first then we'll go for a drive!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:20 PM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random comment but I'm at work and have been staring at JIRA all day- had an odd realization that forums are the equivalent to a Confluence project space... Great work Ahsai, you're a legend!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Default First driving impression

Ok, here's the update some of you have been waiting for!

Car passed smog and the 3.8 indeed pulls strong! Very similar to my '03 3.6 below 3k but above 3k, it's pulling very strongly all the way to 6k (I have not touched the redline yet). Put 90 miles on it so far and it's fantastic. The idle is silky smooth. Smoother than my '03 for sure. I guess my meticulous part swapping piston/rod/pin/rings balancing paid off!

The engine cranks with very even compression and it fires right up with gusto cold or warm. I can barely feel it idling. All the fuel trims are practically 0.

FRA is 1.02 on bank 1 (i.e., 2% of fuel is added under heavy load)
FRA is 0.99 on bank 2 (i.e., 1% of fuel is pulled under heavy load)
RKAT is 0.66% on bank 1 (i.e., 0.66% of fuel is added at idle)
RKAT is 1.41% on bank 2 (i.e., 1.41% of fuel is added at idle)

Cam deviations are 3.48 on bank 1 and 2.58 on bank 2. I'm not worrying as I can always adjust them later if needed. Rough cylinder measurements at idle hovers around 0.0 most of the time and it goes to at most 0.7 for all cylinders! Again, very very smooth.

MAF is ~5.2g/s at idle as compared to ~5g/s for my 3.6. It make sense because 3.8 is about 5.5% increase in displacement so it sucks in about that much more of air (I know it's not linear but it's darn close). The fuel trims above also have answered a question I have had for a long time. Are they w.r.t the measured air mass or an absolute air mass expected at a specific rpm? The answer is the former. It makes a lot of sense because each engine has some variations so some breath better than the others and the DME will have to be able to compensate and handle them. With only 5.5% increase, the DME has no problems handling the extra 200cc. It just adds more fuel (compared to 3.6) to reach the stoichiometric ratio. The fact that the fuel trims are close to 0 means everything is good.

Coolant temp and oil pressure are also great and normal. Alternator voltage output looks great too (I installed a brand new y-cable).

Now the chassis itself needs some attention. The tires are all-season. The front tires are 8yrs old! Gonna put a set of Continental DW on. The left radiator shroud so that will be replaced soon. The transmission is great. The suspension feels tired but coming out from my x74, everything else will feel very sloppy.

Overall, the car is in excellent shape.

Next stop is 300 miles. Oil change and the oil pan will be dropped for inspection, along with other inspections.

Quick Reply: blown engine