996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

#$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Very sorry to hear, bro. When I first read your post, thought maybe there was a big drop off from pavement to dirt but it doesn't look that way in pic. You were not spinning then hit pavement because you said you took off slow. It looks like your crank case/or one bank has been compromised thus engine may be junk. WAG is problem at crank/flywheel area? Any piece missing from that bank? Or, maybe problem where crank case halves join at rear (towards front of car)?

What does it sound/feel like if you try to turn engine over (by hand of course)? The "bang" noise sounds really bad.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^ Tip engine.

What does it sound/feel like if you try to turn engine over (by hand of course)?
Nothing's been looked at since it died. Spent all day just trying to get home. I agree, though about crankcase.....
Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry to hear, that is a real bummer. Will be watching for what happens next and the analysis.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is oil starvation enough to let a bearing seize up.

Best of luck with the rebuild.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM
mhs525
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh!!

I'm not a mechanic but "bang" followed by a piece of broken cast aluminum followed by an engine dumping all its oil says something broke inside and punctured the block/crankcase. Not good, hope for the best...
Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh man, so sorry to hear that! Hope it's not as bad as it looks.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I was stopped next to him on an unpaved area at the side of the road. He then figured he knew which way to go, and took off. Since I was on dirt, I accelerated rather slowly.
The second I hit the pavement, I heard a "bang".... it sounded like I had thrown a rock into the undercarriage or something.

Immediately, the car shut itself down and I coasted to the side of the road. There was an approximately 30-foot-long oil slick on the road behind me.
At the very beginning of the slick was the chunk of metal in the pic below. Looks like cast aluminum, so a part of the engine, obviously.2003, C2, Tip transmission.
Sounds like you may have hit the engine on a portion of the pavement and cracked a piece of case resulting in the oil spill. You may be able to have the engine case repaired or welded. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for your bad turn of events...Interesting that the piece is clean of oil, also looks like stripped threads.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM
GNR996
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn!! sorry. feel your pain here!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:51 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
My guess is oil starvation enough to let a bearing seize up.

Best of luck with the rebuild.
oil is not likely to cause that, this looks more like a conrod problem.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cuda, I've had a similar experience with an E30 Beamer 15 years ago. I was taking a turn too quickly in the middle of the night and saw a fricking huge rock in the middle of the road and did not have enough time to maneuver. I went over it and immediately the oil pressure light went on. I stopped the car in the middle of the road and stepped out and oil was gushung out of the oil pan; I had chipped off a piece of the oil pan. But the engine didn't stop/stall. Could you have hit something and broken a piece resulting in the oil gushing out? Why the engine stopped is a puzzle? Safety mechanism perhaps? Or it could be internal and it that case you may be SOL.

Anyway, I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Sounds like you may have hit the engine on a portion of the pavement and cracked a piece of case resulting in the oil spill. You may be able to have the engine case repaired or welded. Good luck!
There was only an inch or less transition from the road edge to the pavement, so I really don't think I hit anything. There was a spot on the run where many (most?) were bottoming out, but I don't think I hit it (I'm pretty sure it was in a place in the road after I broke down).

Any chance I can fix the engine case with a Gorilla Glue and sawdust paste?

As others have noticed, the oil leak is forward of the oil pan. Also, probably only a few quarts total have leaked out, as far as I can guesstimate. That means whatever blew out is higher than the oil sump.

Of course, I will keep you all posted with the developments, and I greatly appreciate all the kind words. I'm trying to stay positive, although the rational part of me is telling me that the car is toast.

Random thoughts of the moment:
  • Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.
  • Just spent over $1k last month respraying bumpers, paint correction, etc. Shoulda waited one more month.
  • Just paid the registration and smog last week. I never pay these early, why did I do it this time?
  • Errggghhhh... this car is starting to cost me as much as my ex. At least it never bitched at me.
  • I'm already trolling Car Gurus and Auto Trader, etc. for a new car. I'm thinking of a 997, but probably will have to finance it, since I need to buy my daughter a new car. What are the current rates? Bought all my last cars cash.
  • Just bought another 914 a couple weeks ago. Should I sell it already?
  • Trying to figure out what I can get for a roller.
  • I put a $2500 double-DIN bluetooth entertainment system in it. And of course by now you all know of my expensive Fabspeed exhaust... I wonder if these should be pulled and sold separately.
  • Wondering how to keep my vanity plates if this car gets trashed but I don't get a new car right away to transfer the plates over to.
  • If I end up getting a 997, will I be forced to only discuss deviated stitching? Or is that only the 991 crowd?
  • Anyone on RL selling a pristine 997 at below market prices?
  • If the car's dead, for me it is like losing a loved one.
  • How much are Ramen noodles these days? Last time I was broke and lived off of them, I could find 10 packages for a dollar.
  • Is there really a Santa Clause? If so, at what age does he stop accepting gift requests?
  • Should I just say "screw it" and get a Prius? Starts with a P too.
  • At least I still have the 914's, so they can't take away my PCA membership.
  • This sucks, big time.
  • Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.
  • Did I mention?: sh*t.

Last edited by Cuda911; 12-01-2014 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2014, 12:37 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow. Doesn't sound very promising. Push come to shove the car still has value. Good luck....
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 AM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about this and hope you do win the lottery tomorrow.

Quick Reply: #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!