Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
A VIN so I can check if it had an accident of any concern. Usually just light bumper accidents which wouldn't both me, until I went to sell it. I have a Boxster that go bumped, got a whole new oem bumper out of the deal...to me it was great...now not so sure since no one will buy it.

This is the problem with insurance companies and carfax. Expensive cars often get totaled for minor damage because the repair cost is too high and you have the car mostly paid off. Then the title gets flagged as salvage or carfax notes the wreck repair and now no one wants the car. I am in this very dilemma with a 944 turbo. The car runs and drives well. It has very minor front end damage. It did get a new hood and the front bumper was pushed down and rear slightly. The original wreck damage can be seen on the front fenders (not replaced) and it is super minor. Car got flagged with a salvage title then "rebuilt" and sent to Michigan. I bought it in TN with a "clean" title. I'm not sure what TX is going to do when I try and reregister it. I'm tempted to sell it at a loss because restoring a "salvage" title car would be a bad investment even though it's overall a really good candidate to restore.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roguiethegiant
That 2002 C4S is pretty reasonably priced - outside of the cracked seats, what am I missing? Otherwise, it might be worth a shot....
"pretty reasonable" !?!?? This is the best priced C4S in the country if all checks out.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:54 AM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
I need to say something about IMS and RMS. These problems occur in a minority, small minority, of Porsches. The IMSB fails in less than 5%. That's 95% of cars from the period that won't have a problem.

In the 1980's everybody shunned the 1975 - 1977 911S cars because of "weak engines" and unspecified "engine problems" Now, they are priced like unobtainium.

I had a 97 Boxster, arguably the most likely to experience both problems. I drove it like I stole it; seriously seven or eight track days per year where the car was consistently taken to it's limits. I just kept pushing until the car, more likely the tires, couldn't handle it anymore. Never had a problem to 45K.

I then bought a 2002 Carrera and drove it a little softer to 60K, no problems.

I now drive a 2009 997.2 C4S and the worry du jour has not crept up yet.

In my mind, were I to buy another pre-09 Porsche susceptible to IMS and and / or RMS, based on my experience, and the actual experiences of others, I don't know that I would rush to implement a fix.

I did notice my concern level rising the more I read blogs where people fixated on the IMS. But, what's most interesting to me is that many people on the blogs who are so fixated, have never owned one of the "afflicted" Porsches, or even a Porsche at all.

Its is important to note that the Porsche IMSB failure rate is less than 5%. There are a whole lot of Porsches out there that have never experienced a failure.
This 5% number is similar to what my local dealership reported based on their experience. I think if this was pre-internet days the IMS issue wouldn't have seemed so huge.

Ours is 2002 C4 Tip, we're 3rd owner and up to about 88k miles now without issue.

They (dealer) also mentioned that of all the cars they have ever serviced none of them were a Tip so we may have that going for us in the long haul. I was initially worried about it when we got the car in 08 (with 30k on it), but after 9 years and learning more I don't think we'll ever have an issue.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone in New Mexico to see if it all checks out? The low price leads me to think something is wrong (most 911 owners are smart enough to price at market)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roguiethegiant
Anyone in New Mexico to see if it all checks out? The low price leads me to think something is wrong (most 911 owners are smart enough to price at market)
Based on the lack of emblems on the rear, I'm guessing some sort of rear end collision and a salvage title.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Based on the lack of emblems on the rear, I'm guessing some sort of rear end collision and a salvage title.
I typically de-badge cars as some others do so can't go off of that.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:03 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
I need to say something about IMS and RMS. These problems occur in a minority, small minority, of Porsches. The IMSB fails in less than 5%. That's 95% of cars from the period that won't have a problem.
Sir, no disrespect intended, and I don't want to derail the thread with IMSB statements, but you are way, way, way wrong on your idea that this is a 'small minority' type of problem. Edward Deming, and following that, Bill Smith developed and created a quality strategy to improve various mechanisms, and methods for achieving extremely low failure rates. "Six sigma" is a trademarked philosophy, and Deming worked toward a 'zero defect' methodology for the Japanese back when they had a very bad rep for quality products. In short - it works. Porsche, strangely enough tossed out much of their quality goals when they were struggling financially at the inception of the Boxster(and later 996).

A 5% failure rate, is just over the 3rd sigma(area under the normal dist curve) and in modern production environment would be considered a disaster. It would, and should have been a recall event, with Porsche removing every engine from production and putting a halt to deliveries until the problem was understood, quantified, engineered, tested, re-quantified and then released to the gen public. This could(and should) have been done in later 99 or mid-2000 when the number of failures in Boxsters began to be noticeable.

The solutions we have today could have been implemented, and a solution developed fairly early in the production cycle. That was the right thing to do, and Porsche failed miserably, resulting in the issues we are now living with some 20 years later(in terms of the M96 engine in total). It's a huuuuuuuge black eye for a statistical analyst at Porsche, who knew but was likely overruled by a 'crat with a econ degree.

Finally(I hope), there is NO engineering, or econ excuse for a 5% or even a 1% failure rate in any modern engine component. If that happened to Toyota or Mitzu, whomever was responsible would be run out of town on a rail, and fishing in the sea of Japan for squid for the rest - of - his - life.

/rant
Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Yes according to the work of Deming and Shewart the acceptable failure rate for manufacturing should be on the order of 1 in a million. That's actually a design criteria now for many companies. It's what made Honda and Toyota so successful and durable. It seems like Porsche had a pretty reasonable solution originally (double row bearing) but changed it due to supply issues which led to a fiasco. Having a part fail can sometimes be okay (i.e. if it is a designed wear items like a brake pad, clutch disc, or tire), but having a part that will fail and then destroy your entire engine is definitely not good for business or the customer.

Knowing the risk, I'm about to buy a 996 myself. It's already had some IMS bearing and RMS work performed. How long will that hold up? I'm gambling that it will last a really long time.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Knowing the risk, I'm about to buy a 996 myself. It's already had some IMS bearing and RMS work performed. How long will that hold up? I'm gambling that it will last a really long time.
How long will it hold up?

Who did the work, and what retrofit kit was installed? This means everything in regard to longevity and reliability.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

'99 roller sold for $8,200 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Porsche...-/182537110683

Seems high to me, but -- as Mrs. KoB regularly observes -- I've been wrong before.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/6101872164.html

fair price.... just up the street....
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
How long will it hold up?

Who did the work, and what retrofit kit was installed? This means everything in regard to longevity and reliability.

LN engineering dual row into a '00 at 73k miles done by Hindson in KC. I guess they didn't test drive this car much..... since it's just a plain '00 Carrera.

I went to your website and found it interesting that you don't do turbo builds due to compression issues, etc. How do you feel about the OEM turbo flat sixes? This might go in a different topic...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Nordish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good/clean looking 4S with 65k miles for $26k from a BMW Dealer

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2581/overview/
Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Not on all cars.

My car came with the factory option of badge removal.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadrega
20k for a 4s with only 47k miles?

https://santafe.craigslist.org/cto/6074519060.html

Can we do this game that if you buy a car posted on here you have to offer a 6 pack of your favorite local beer to whomever posted the link?

Just an idea

I like beer
Something is off about this one. Looks posted in a hurry with minimal details. Interior picture is with car not running as well.

PLEASE CALL FOR DETAILS- is usually a red flag for me (100% proven by experience). Details will include..."A/C needs recharge", "runs great, but slightly overheats", "run perfect, but...reverse doesn't work", "runs strong, just has slight knock. Could be minor, but have no time to find out", "This is my brother's car, and he has a title. I will write you a bill of sale though", "CEL is on, but not sure why. Can't pass emissions. So I decided to sell".

NEW IMS BEARING- as key details is not reassuring either. Bearing was failing and got replaced? Why make the note of that one mechanical part?

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...