996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:34 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After selling my 996.2 Cab a few years ago to help pay for my MBA, I'm getting get back in the Porsche. I'm sticking with the 996 since I loved my first one, but this time looking for a C4S.

I've spoken with the seller, but am wondering what everything thinks about the car below, or knows anything about this particular car. IMS/RMS/clutch replaced in the mid 80's mileage, new cup 2's a few thousand miles ago. However, relatively high mileage and an accident on it's record (although seller sent me an repair invoice showing just $1k, so it doesn't appear to be major) and high number of owners is putting me off. Thanks in advance for the input.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...631519366.html
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

The thing is that really struck me at first glance was the large gap behind the front bumper. Definitely drooping. Needs closer inspection.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM
texaninmichigan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paint on the fascia doesn't look so good, but maybe it is just the lighting?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
The thing is that really struck me at first glance was the large gap behind the front bumper. Definitely drooping. Needs closer inspection.
Good catch, I've asked the seller about it. I'm thinking it might just be sagging over time, but will obviously check it out closely. I had a similar issue with my E46 M3, which I fixed easily, but can't seem to find much info on bumper sag for the 996.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:13 PM
achman
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Worst photos ever, can't tell anything.
2. IMS replaced
3. I don't think there is any "front bumper droop" on a 996. It's either "on" or "not on correctly." Looking aty the side light, I wonder if bumper was off and put back on incorrectly, it's easy to do. Can't think of a reason there would be that huge gap excep it not being on correctly...having just taken mine off last week to clean radiators.
4. Good color combo
5. Hate plasti-dipped or painted wheels
6. True bargain price. There is one for $30k on PCA website. You could spend $5k to bring this up to snuff and still be ok.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoody127
Good catch, I've asked the seller about it. I'm thinking it might just be sagging over time, but will obviously check it out closely. I had a similar issue with my E46 M3, which I fixed easily, but can't seem to find much info on bumper sag for the 996.
It would have to have missing upper screws (3 iirc along the hood line) for it to sag that much. Or very oval holes. The holes are already clearanced so you can adjust fitment, match bodylines.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

Yeah the only thing I can even remotely think of is the bump stops on the hood being out of adjustment. Otherwise, sagging isn’t a thing on 996s.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Thanks everyone, looking at indy's in Nashville area for a PPI and will have them take a closer look based on this information, but I'm thinking that's a flaw that can be easily addressed.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:59 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a bit addicted to CL and saw that car the day it popped up -- I'm in Nashville, so PM if your not and want someone impartial to have a quick look. I'm no expert, but picked up a C4S last year, have read everything i can get my hands on and have replaced gobs and gobs of parts since purchase --- so i feel like i know what these cars should look and feel like.

As for PPI's -- I'd reach out to Brett Metzler at German Motorworks or Jay Gould over at German Performance Options. While I've refreshed the entire coolant system, spin on oil adaptor, spark plugs/coils, frunk microswitch, door lock assembly and a lot of other odds and ends in my garage, I recently had Brett replace the clutch, IMSB, RMS, inner/outter tie rod boots and a few other things and was happy as usual (he's tackled larger jobs for my BMWs over the years). German Performance Options are a bit more Porsche-centric, but I've known Brett for a long time and would take his opinion on any car. Lastly, some of the folks in the Nashville PCA rave about a guy named wickie (sp?) at Renntag, never partied w/ the guy myself or even been to his shop -- he cut his teeth on air-cooled Porsches but one of the gals in PCA will ONLY take her 996 C4s to him. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM
achman
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoody127
Thanks everyone, looking at indy's in Nashville area for a PPI and will have them take a closer look based on this information, but I'm thinking that's a flaw that can be easily addressed.
I would be much more interested in this car than the one you have posted:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...condition.html
Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Originally Posted by jllphan
I'm a bit addicted to CL and saw that car the day it popped up -- I'm in Nashville, so PM if your not and want someone impartial to have a quick look. I'm no expert, but picked up a C4S last year, have read everything i can get my hands on and have replaced gobs and gobs of parts since purchase --- so i feel like i know what these cars should look and feel like.

As for PPI's -- I'd reach out to Brett Metzler at German Motorworks or Jay Gould over at German Performance Options. While I've refreshed the entire coolant system, spin on oil adaptor, spark plugs/coils, frunk microswitch, door lock assembly and a lot of other odds and ends in my garage, I recently had Brett replace the clutch, IMSB, RMS, inner/outter tie rod boots and a few other things and was happy as usual (he's tackled larger jobs for my BMWs over the years). German Performance Options are a bit more Porsche-centric, but I've known Brett for a long time and would take his opinion on any car. Lastly, some of the folks in the Nashville PCA rave about a guy named wickie (sp?) at Renntag, never partied w/ the guy myself or even been to his shop -- he cut his teeth on air-cooled Porsches but one of the gals in PCA will ONLY take her 996 C4s to him. Hope that helps.
Amazing, thanks! I stumbled upon a few of those shops in my search for a good PPI indy, but this is definitely more helpful. Might take you up on that impartial opinion offer. I am in Atlanta, so I would ideally only make the trip up with solid PPI results to buy it, but have been tempted to drive up this weekend to check it out.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by achman
I would be much more interested in this car than the one you have posted:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...condition.html
That's the kind of car that you buy and enjoy right there. +1 like it much better than the one in Nashville Craigslist.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM
cmoody127
Advanced

Just to add on, I got some extensive service records for this car. Just over 5k miles ago, this car had LN IMS, clutch, plugs/coils and a few other smaller items. New tires around 3k miles ago. Dealer did oil filter cut to ensure no metal shavings before performing IMS upgrade. However, cannot locate records showing AOS replacement...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...639585904.html

dark teal metallic C4S, replacement engine with a claimed 15K Miles on it, lots of maintenance. $30,000. What a great color!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto...639585904.html

dark teal metallic C4S, replacement engine with a claimed 15K Miles on it, lots of maintenance. $30,000. What a great color!
Also appears to be a rennlister car, as it’s posted here in the classifieds. Good deal at $30k IMO

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...