Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:32 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I think this is going to be the trend in 996 buying shortly as we see more and more retrofitted cars dying early deaths more and more due to lack of prequal or questionable installation, etc.
Originally Posted by gnat
Ahem...

This is exactly why I personally would pay more for a factory IMSB rather than upgraded car (sans certified installer level evidence). Then you know without question what the state is.
so let me get that.
according to your logic, people are willing to pay more money on a car with a non addressed issue, just so they can spend more money to address the issue, just so when they are going to sell the car, they are going to lose more money just because they addressed the issue
Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Unless they can provide solid evidence that it was done to Jake's standards (e.g. a certified installer), then this car is best avoided.
What's the difference between "certified" and "preferred"?
Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
so let me get that.
according to your logic, people are willing to pay more money on a car with a non addressed issue, just so they can spend more money to address the issue, just so when they are going to sell the car, they are going to lose more money just because they addressed the issue
Just to be clear, I don't think people will pay more, but instead people will seek out those unmolested cars as they would have the work done themselves and know it's been done correctly rather than taking a chance on sub par or unfavorable conditions on why/how IMS retrofit was done in the first place.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
What's the difference between "certified" and "preferred"?
"Certified" is Jake's own pick and ones that's passed his tests and code of conduct. "Preferred" is anyone willing to pay Jake to have their name on a list. At least that's my understanding.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

"Certified" is Jake's own pick and ones that's passed his tests and code of conduct. "Preferred" is anyone willing to pay Jake to have their name on a list. At least that's my understanding.
Well, ****. My indy isn't on either of those lists.

Last edited by Woodman71; 08-19-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot saying **** was not allowed. Sorry!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
so let me get that. according to your logic, people are willing to pay more money on a car with a non addressed issue, just so they can spend more money to address the issue, just so when they are going to sell the car, they are going to lose more money just because they addressed the issue
I'm probably in the minority that I would pay more.

I also don't believe that the IMSB is as big of a problem as the hype suggests (it's a problem, but it's often mis-blamed which inflates the numbers).

The reality is that any modification gets its cost back at resale.

At the end of the day it is all a gamble so it's about hedging your bets. I'll bet on an original bearing with a good PPI far more than a I will an example like this with no clear reliable documentation on the swap.

It simply comes down to knowing the health of the motor at the time of the swap. Unfortunately a bad few have tarnished for all.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Jake came up with the protocols, but substitute LNE for Jake in those sentences.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Well, ****. My indy isn't on either of those lists.
Neither is the guy that did mine, but I trust his work and advice.

Yes by my own logic that means I should lose money when we sell it, but since we've had it since new and I'm looking a sinking a full paint job into it it's a pretty safe bet it's not going anywhere
Old 08-19-2016, 09:19 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably in the minority that I would pay more.

I would also pay more for an unmolested dual row designed by a multi-billion dollar famed car company than some retrofit from who knows where? I'm sure Porsche did tons of endurance (hundreds of thousands of actual and simulated miles) testing on the 986/996 prototypes during original engine development. The single rows I have no opinion on, but I would definitely prefer the original dual rows that have a less than 5% failure rate over any retrofit.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
I would also pay more for an unmolested dual row designed by a multi-billion dollar famed car company than some retrofit from who knows where? I'm sure Porsche did tons of endurance (hundreds of thousands of actual and simulated miles) testing on the 986/996 prototypes during original engine development. The single rows I have no opinion on, but I would definitely prefer the original dual rows that have a less than 5% failure rate over any retrofit.
I wouldn't go that far. Like all companies (especially ones on the brink of financial ruin), Porsche cut corners and used cheaper options in some places. It's pretty well proven that a sealed bearing was a poor application here and going to a smaller bearing is also questionable.

It's really about being able to make the choice for yourself (and sticking with the factory bearing is a perfectly valid option) and if you do replace it, getting to know the whys, hows, and wherefores of it.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:33 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Poor ME - I don't think this'll polish out:

http://www.autozin.com/2000-porsche-...538-atzlisting
Old 08-20-2016, 05:42 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go that far. Like all companies (especially ones on the brink of financial ruin), Porsche cut corners and used cheaper options in some places.
By the time the single row was being designed to replace the double row in these engines (circa 2000), Porsche was already the most profitable car company in the world on a unit basis. The single rows wasn't designed for the purposes of extracting another $5 in profits. The break even on that project would never work. The single rows surely was a design flaw, but it wasn't because of money.

I would pay a premium for the factory original double row over any retrofit for the simple reason that it's proven. Not a single retrofit has gone over 100,000 miles or maybe even 50,000 miles. What retrofit company had a fleet of test mules racking up 100,000+ miles on the road and in the lab like the original 986/996 double row development? Yeah, None.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's something you don't see every day ... the ultra-rare 2001 Cab with the 3.4 liter V8. And factory running boards.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5739573863.html

A quick Google of the VIN shows the car in a Copart auction with mechanical damage. Maybe that's when the running boards were installed ;-)
Old 08-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Wow this is cheap.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5743858827.html
Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If it passes a thorough PPI, yeah. That's like 20%+ under market value, I bet there's a reason.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...