Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:19 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I suggest a few other influences
1. There was already a competing DOF kit for a deep groove ball bearing IMSB
2. The Solution had an oil feed (yes,I know it is different!)
3. There was little field testing of the roller prior to sale so this was an 'insurance' against the risk of the roller overheating and an answer to the endless "is it load or lubrication?" question.
4. It cost very little(one punch!) and it was easier than the DOF kit in 1. above.
5.The 'splash' isn't quite like that but although it may have been adequate for a ball IMSB, there was no field data to proove it was adequate for a roller.
Feel free to add more !
The end result has been indisputably good and I concede better than I expected (but ONLY after they added thrust control to the earlier design-after howls of protest about the original poor design.)
Who knows how good it could be if they added Pedro's DOF to a roller IMSB ?? BTW you can do this(in theory) with some of the DOF kits because you can order them without a bearing and then source your own roller bearing(part # NUP204?). I am not advocating that -just for debate !

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 11-14-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:12 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious. I have a boxster that had ims bearing replaced at around 60k with LN engineering bearing. It now has 112k. Should bearing be done again? If so, roller bearing a better option?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

According to the LN site the answer is "Yes" and it is about time to check the clutch friction plate and DMF anyway Assuming manual g/b). If it is a Tip - I'll let others advize.
Whatever, get a "while you are in there" list going so you are ready .
Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

IMS retrofit is supposed to be good for 5 years or 75k miles.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Agreed ,if it was replaced less than 5 yrs ago.Thank you for the correction.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. If I keep the car, it's probably smart just to do it. Though it does get drive "appropriately!"
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Couldn't you lock down the engine and open the cover and have a look?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:58 AM
CBR944
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, an interesting story with a happy ending for the OP but nevertheless a debatable ‘cause’.

Key points:
  • The OP’s car had a failing IMSB with metal particles in the oil before he bought it. The IMSB was replaced at time of purchase and there was no debris in the oil filter until over 12,000 miles and three oil changes later.
  • The sudden appearance of metallic debris was put down to residual debris from the original bearing having been lodged somewhere in the engine only to be ‘shaken loose’ at a DE event many miles later.
  • However, after a further 500 miles – and no further DE events – there was still debris being produced. At this point the OP (despite some apparent earlier scepticism) shipped his car to Raby.
So how was original debris still appearing? According to Raby, “the most likely case is the original bearing failure process created material laden oil which has attacked the replacement bearing and is forcing its failure through greatly accelerated wear”.

Really? So even though this debris was apparently not circulating at all for 12,000 miles? Still there after three oil changes? And then causing no damage to the engine apart from the new IMS bearing and rod bearings?

It seems to me the more obvious cause of the new debris would not have been the original IMSB – replaced 12,000 miles previously – but the one now in the car. The current bearing would surely be many, many more times likely to be the source of newly-found steel debris in an engine than a bearing that is long gone. However, we don’t really know, because there was no independent inspection of the LNE bearing. We have to take Raby’s word for it.

Why would I suggest a different cause to the one put forward in this thread? Because LNE bearings do suddenly fail due to manufacturing defects. My own Boxster S had such a bearing, and with exactly the same debris symptoms as the OP. On removal of the LNE bearing, I found one of the 18 ceramic ***** (it was a double row bearing) to be badly pitted with surface cracks. This one faulty ball was steadily eroding the steel bearing races, and was the sole cause of all debris. I replaced the IMSB with a standard SKF all-steel double row bearing at a fraction of the cost of a hybrid one. 6,000 miles later, no debris in the (standard) filter, on the magnetic sump plug, or in the sump…

Thought it worthwhile opening this thread again, given someone with the same symptoms might find the thread and not look to at least one obvious cause.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR944
Sorry to revive an old thread, an interesting story with a happy ending for the OP but nevertheless a debatable ‘cause’.

Key points:
  • The OP’s car had a failing IMSB with metal particles in the oil before he bought it. The IMSB was replaced at time of purchase and there was no debris in the oil filter until over 12,000 miles and three oil changes later.
  • The sudden appearance of metallic debris was put down to residual debris from the original bearing having been lodged somewhere in the engine only to be ‘shaken loose’ at a DE event many miles later.
  • However, after a further 500 miles – and no further DE events – there was still debris being produced. At this point the OP (despite some apparent earlier scepticism) shipped his car to Raby.
So how was original debris still appearing? According to Raby, “the most likely case is the original bearing failure process created material laden oil which has attacked the replacement bearing and is forcing its failure through greatly accelerated wear”.

Really? So even though this debris was apparently not circulating at all for 12,000 miles? Still there after three oil changes? And then causing no damage to the engine apart from the new IMS bearing and rod bearings?

It seems to me the more obvious cause of the new debris would not have been the original IMSB – replaced 12,000 miles previously – but the one now in the car. The current bearing would surely be many, many more times likely to be the source of newly-found steel debris in an engine than a bearing that is long gone. However, we don’t really know, because there was no independent inspection of the LNE bearing. We have to take Raby’s word for it.

Why would I suggest a different cause to the one put forward in this thread? Because LNE bearings do suddenly fail due to manufacturing defects. My own Boxster S had such a bearing, and with exactly the same debris symptoms as the OP. On removal of the LNE bearing, I found one of the 18 ceramic ***** (it was a double row bearing) to be badly pitted with surface cracks. This one faulty ball was steadily eroding the steel bearing races, and was the sole cause of all debris. I replaced the IMSB with a standard SKF all-steel double row bearing at a fraction of the cost of a hybrid one. 6,000 miles later, no debris in the (standard) filter, on the magnetic sump plug, or in the sump…

Thought it worthwhile opening this thread again, given someone with the same symptoms might find the thread and not look to at least one obvious cause.
Ahhhh, the old "IMSB conspiracy theory"... Worthwhile to open this thread again? To what end? Did you have an independant inspection of the/your LNE bearing? Or, should we just take your word for it? Let's see if you post the results when your "standard SKF all-steel double row bearing" fails.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Really? So even though this debris was apparently not circulating at all for 12,000 miles?
That question was answered many times throughout the thread. The original OEM bearing WAS already in failure mode and WAS shedding metal into the engine, but the shop installed a new bearing in spite of the evidence found in the PPI. The shop should have NEVER installed a new LN bearing into a failing engine, but because shops don't care if the product fails or not, they installed it anyway. This car would have never passed pre-qualification from a certified installer.

Still there after three oil changes? And then causing no damage to the engine apart from the new IMS bearing and rod bearings?
It could have had double that amount of oil changes and it still doesn't change the fact that the original OEM bearing was already failing and polluted the engine with damaging metal contamination. This problem was like a plane quickly spiraling out of control that eventually will crash and burn. Fortunately, the OP made the wise decision to get Flat6 involved and have the motor reconstructed (as Raby calls it).

And then causing no damage to the engine apart from the new IMS bearing and rod bearings?
Ugh! The engine was caught BEFORE further damage occurred. Had the OP ignored Raby's advice, his engine would have been turned into scrap metal.

Why is that? Did you not read that the PPI was showing metal from the original OEM bearing? Did you not read that the shop installed a new bearing into a metal contaminated engine? Have you not read the hundreds of threads on the topic of why it's asinine to install a bearing in a engine that has been shedding metal? In spite of that evidence, you're concluding the new bearing must be the cause of the problem with the OP's engine. Really?! The LN bearing was damaged from the remaining metal contamination shed by the OEM bearing. Make sense? It's really not rocket science.

I don't want to speak for Charles and LN, but aside from the IMS Solution, all other IMS retrofit products have a replacement interval. That doesn't mean it is a defective product!

So enlighten us...
1. Did you have the LN Engineering bearing installed on your car?
2. How many miles on the bearing?
3. How did you determine without a shadow of doubt the metal laden oil was sourced from the LN bearing's races?

Look forward to your reply.

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 11-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

For reference, this is what a certified shop would do before installing any LN retrofit product.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I read through the whole thread. One thing I’d like to point out is that tracking the car likely accelerated the already-present condition of debris in the engine from the original IMSB failure.

Raby proves again that there’s a method to the madness. He’s the expert, proven.

I’ve rebuilt engines in the past (non-Porsche). It’s absolutely essential to make 100% certain you don’t have any debris anywhere, anywhere, anywhere. It’s like a blood clot in your body that breaks loose. It’s not going to end well, or in the least, cause wear, but often a healthy excercise event can push the situation over the edge.

Glad to hear the rebuild was running strong years later. Not surprised, though. Do things right, it works.

BTW, it’s not all that bad to be paranoid. “Only the Paranoid Survive” is a book written by a founder of Intel corporation. Much better to be sensitive and open and proactive. But then after all that, just drive your car and whatever happens, happens.

Raby is like my real estate attorney. Tells me ten ways this thing is going to blow up and why I shouldn’t move forward. Then I say ‘thank you for that information,’ and I make my own decision on what to do next. And it’s not always what he recommends.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

The LN critic in 233 above has 25 posts to measure his knowledge of the M96 IMSB issue. How does that compare to the combined experience,knowledge and judgement of LN and Flat Six. ? I am an engineer who worked in engine development for a car company. Frankly ,I am humbled by the knowledge and skill of Charles.Jake and Baz. Post 233 is smarter than all of them ?
I have not bought anything from either company but through my own engine failure in similar circumstances to the OP, the LN+Flat 6 advice was flawless ,generous and unbelievably patient-even after I (foolishly)bought and fitted a competitors product .
. I challenged some of their suggestions but did it in the context of - I'm just curious - why is that ? We all learned about the M96 with that approach.
Post 233 above and others who piled on (in other Threads) is part of the reason we 'lost' Charles and Jake from this Forum. With their departure, their knowledge was lost also. The problem may be just one of poor expression perhaps ? Post 233 and others like it can be read as implying that LN and Flat Six are fools/thieves/other epithets. If that is incorrect , maybe the 233 needs to be modified ? At least note it is largely speculation ! Post 233 might have been useful if the poster had a more inquiring approach.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:59 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

One can strive for perfection....but there is no perfection on this planet, in anything.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Key points:

As the OP, I differ in the thought process, the choice of three points you selected from the 17 pages of posts, and the conclusion.

We know that the shop that replaced the original bearing did not follow the LNE-recommended procedures to evaluate a replacement. When I talked to Raby and LNE they made it clear they would never have allowed the replacement. The shop is now on their black list and LNE will not do business with them again.

I've done my best to reconstruct the events into a narrative that passes the tests of math and engineering, Raby's experience through extended conversations and emails and his inspection and teardown of the engine, and my own observations. Is it the one and only possible explanation? No. But I think it's by far the most likely.

Without a complete teardown, it is impossible to remove all metal particles from an engine and find all points of wear. An oil change does not clear out all of the oil, and if metal particles are embedded on surfaces they will also not come out. So after the original IMS bearing was replaced by the first LNE bearing, it would be foolish to assume the oil was clean (which I did, and I admit I was foolish/naive). The shop claimed to have flushed the oil once (or twice maybe, I can't recall) until the oil was "clear". Today, looking back on the shop's behavior, I think we can all agree that was complete BS. There should be no question that after the original bearing replacement, metal contamination remained in the engine; maybe a very small amount, but not zero.

The default Porsche oil filter has a pressure valve that bypasses the filter when the oil is highly viscous, i.e. at startup. So the filter only works partially, and can't be expected to completely remove metal particles from the oil. And it could only filter particles in the oil, not those embedded in surfaces.

From this, I believe it is impossible to conclude that the oil and all engine parts must have been clean for 12,000 miles and three oil changes, to be suddenly shaken up by some event, DE or not. Furthermore, particles will be embedded on surfaces and not return to the oil. Yes, DE shakeup was one of my early theories, but I would treat it skeptically and look for better explanations, such as:

Metal particle damage is likely to be exponential. A certain percentage of particle content in the oil will cause some rate of additional wear, which produces more particles, which produces a higher wear rate, and so on. Classic exponential behavior. Put this together with the filter bypass and you have a highly believable case of a "sudden" growth of the exponential curve. Maybe the DE event accelerated it, maybe not, I really don't know. But we need to pay attention to exponential behavior: damage is growing at the same proportional rate all the time, but is not easily detectable until it crosses a threshold and then it "appears" to come out of nowhere all of a sudden. Think about the old questions about compound interest or how long it takes bacteria to fill the last half of a dish if it doubles each day. It only looks sudden, but the damage process has been going on for a long time.

It seems to me the more obvious cause of the new debris would not have been the original IMSB – replaced 12,000 miles previously – but the one now in the car. The current bearing would surely be many, many more times likely to be the source of newly-found steel debris in an engine than a bearing that is long gone
Yes of course. It stands to reason that most of the ferrous metal particles found 12,000 miles later are from the new LNE bearing. That's not at issue though. The question is what caused the damage to the new bearing; why did it start to fail? It is impossible to believe that the shop got the oil entirely clear of particles and that no engine surfaces had embedded particles that would throw off new particles under further operation. I fail to see a believable line of reasoning that eliminates the original IMS bearing and the shop's unprofessional behavior from being the original cause of wear of the new LNE bearing. LNE refuses to install a bearing under these conditions.

Because LNE bearings do suddenly fail due to manufacturing defects. My own Boxster S had such a bearing
Can you provide more information on this? Did you have the LNE bearing installed? Did the shop go through the LNE evaluation procedure? Was a spin-on oil filter installed? What were other salient facts? Do you have any evidence that LNE bearings fail in the manner you mentioned? As currently written these are implications, not evidence. Yes, LNE IMS bearings fail, but how many fail without any external cause such as existing particles?

While you are right to point out another potential cause, in my case I think it extremely unlikely. Exponential wear behavior, oil filter bypass, and a dishonest shop that did the original replacement in spite of LNE's disallowing it are strong arguments to the contrary. If you can provide some evidence it would help bolster your argument.

BTW I'm now at 41k on the reconstructed engine with IMS Solution and as reported before, zero metal in the filter or on mag drain plug.

Last edited by mklein9; 11-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?