Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Wait a munite! If the bypass puts the oil back in the sump and not divert it around the filter, doesn't then the engine will be starving of oil and destroy itself? What am I missing here?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
CHEEZUS CHREIST!!! (sic)

Just when I thought it safe to come back to Rennlist, this type of hysteria is up again.
I'm a trained manufacturing and mechanical engineer. Oil filters on most high performance engines have bypass valves because unfiltered OIL is better than not enough oil from a clogged filter. That's why our car has bypass valves. Believe it or not, 99% of all M96 owners WHO NEVER VISIT RENNLIST or who have NEVER HEARD of Jake Raby or LN Engineering have owned and run M96 and M97.1 cars for YEARS without all these aftermarket 'improvement' parts. They follow factory maintenance schedules on factory spec oil and do PERFECTLY FINE. And you know what else? the factory oil filter mechanism of removable cartridge filters - standard on almost every other German car I've EVER seen, has the benefit of reduced environmental impact because dirty oil filled spin filters end up in land fills and leaching into the ground.

Now, we, by nature being on an enthusiast site will be a little more OCD over our cars than the general population, and those people with problems will naturally come to the Internet to seek out answers / solace.

If it satisfies your OCD nature and you are 100% sure your oil filter will NEVER impede the proper flow of oil to the engine, and you are 100% sure you are going to change the oil every 5K miles, sure - go ahead get the LNE spin on oil filter adapter that eliminates bypass valve if it helps you sleep better at night.

BUT, I totally reject this nonsense and hysteria that if you don't buy their $140 kit that your engine is going to grenade.
Couldn't have said it better myself and you've done a+ job on transferring thoughts into writing.

I often find these days that Rennlist is often about "Analysis Paralysis" type mentality.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D6lc
Another "must have" fix for our doomed 996!

Sorry, but I dont think Porsche engineers are as dumb as people make out
Nobody is making Porsche engineers out to be dumb. We have no idea who decided to put in a cheap bypass valve that bypasses the filter, nor who decided to use a lawnmower bearing for the intermediate shaft. Those decisions were probably made somewhere along the line when transferring the engineering prototype to production. Costs have to be saved -- where would we all be if Porsche had in fact gone under in the mid-90s due to insufficient focus on costs? If everything in the car were bulletproof, or exactly as the engineering prototypes were, we'd probably be paying double for the cars.

Some of these cost reduction decisions are perfectly fine and some have proven not to be. We don't know the internal politics that resulted in each decision. I'm not going to judge because I have no basis to. It is what it is and we manage the risks we know about, unfortunately sometimes expensively.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

CHEEZUS CHREIST!!! (sic)

Just when I thought it safe to come back to Rennlist, this type of hysteria is up again.
I'm a trained manufacturing and mechanical engineer. Oil filters on most high performance engines have bypass valves because unfiltered OIL is better than not enough oil from a clogged filter. That's why our car has bypass valves. Believe it or not, 99% of all M96 owners WHO NEVER VISIT RENNLIST or who have NEVER HEARD of Jake Raby or LN Engineering have owned and run M96 and M97.1 cars for YEARS without all these aftermarket 'improvement' parts. They follow factory maintenance schedules on factory spec oil and do PERFECTLY FINE. And you know what else? the factory oil filter mechanism of removable cartridge filters - standard on almost every other German car I've EVER seen, has the benefit of reduced environmental impact because dirty oil filled spin filters end up in land fills and leaching into the ground.

Now, we, by nature being on an enthusiast site will be a little more OCD over our cars than the general population, and those people with problems will naturally come to the Internet to seek out answers / solace.

If it satisfies your OCD nature and you are 100% sure your oil filter will NEVER impede the proper flow of oil to the engine, and you are 100% sure you are going to change the oil every 5K miles, sure - go ahead get the LNE spin on oil filter adapter that eliminates bypass valve if it helps you sleep better at night.

BUT, I totally reject this nonsense and hysteria that if you don't buy their $140 kit that your engine is going to grenade.
Ummm.....what he said.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Believe it or not, 99% of all M96 owners WHO NEVER VISIT RENNLIST or who have NEVER HEARD of Jake Raby or LN Engineering have owned and run M96 and M97.1 cars for YEARS without all these aftermarket 'improvement' parts. They follow factory maintenance schedules on factory spec oil and do PERFECTLY FINE.
To paraphrase:

"I can make up statistics better and faster than you can!" (Ref:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728 http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

Why the statement of facts from the results of my engine's analysis provokes such hysteria is beyond me.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL, good to hear a differing opinion.

So I'm OCD by nature, I replace the oil every 12 months which will always be under 5,000 miles, however how do I know that the oil filter will NEVER impede proper oil flow?

Last edited by 318touring; 03-18-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: missed an important word
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mklein9
To paraphrase:

"I can make up statistics better and faster than you can!" (Ref: http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statis.../dp/0393310728

Why the statement of facts from the results of my engine's analysis provokes such hysteria is beyond me.

I can certainly understand your position as you must be one of the 39 members on this forum that has actually experienced an IMS failure. Now the other 175,223 owners, I'm not sure on where they stand on this.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The way to keep a reality / sanity check - go visit your local Porsche dealer once in a while.
And you will see on Monday or Wed mornings, a line of M96 and M97 cars in for routine maintenance / service, and other repairs - these owners - even when out of warranty, continue to take their cars in on scheduled service intervals. Then go talk to these owners while they're waiting for their Cayman or Cayenne loaner or just enjoying the free coffee - and they've NEVER heard of Rennlist, NEVER heard of LNE, Never heard of IMS, Never heard of Motul - they live blissful lives ignorant of Internet driven hysteria.

I go twice a year to the P car dealership for track preparation and tech inspection for DE event sign off, and brake fluid changes after DE season, and stuff that I can't wrench on my own.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There can't be a scenario where bypassed oil is returned to the sump, only to be picked up again, bypassed, and returned to the sump.
It has to continue to the oil cooler, and then to the rest of the internals as if it were normal operations...except the oil wasn't filtered.
To wit:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-diagram.html
Had to be a typo...
Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Then go talk to these owners while they're waiting for their Cayman or Cayenne loaner or just enjoying the free coffee - and they've NEVER heard of Rennlist, NEVER heard of LNE, Never heard of IMS, Never heard of Motul - they live blissful lives ignorant of Internet driven hysteria.
Hang on!!

You mean you get free coffee at your dealer? I get to stand in a dingy shed being ignored by everyone. Luckily I didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on my car so I didn't feel cheated.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TSMacNeil
There can't be a scenario where bypassed oil is returned to the sump, only to be picked up again, bypassed, and returned to the sump.
It has to continue to the oil cooler, and then to the rest of the internals as if it were normal operations...except the oil wasn't filtered.
To wit:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-diagram.html
Had to be a typo...
I know that but Jake wrote he is working on a project that that will bypass the oil into the sump "like most engines do". This didn't make any sense to me but wanted to be polite today so figured I'll ask if I was missing anything.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
LOL, good to hear a differing opinion.

So I'm OCD by nature, I replace the oil every 12 months which will always be under 5,000 miles, however how do I know that the oil filter will NEVER impede proper oil flow?
The spin-on filters also have a bypass feature, I believe, but it is internal to the filter, not separate as with the OEM setup. This sound correct?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I know that but Jake wrote he is working on a project that that will bypass the oil into the sump "like most engines do". This didn't make any sense to me but wanted to be polite today so figured I'll ask if I was missing anything.
I know...I understood your post.
lol
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Based on the link provided in a prior post, both bypass designs leak (relieve) oil between the pump and filter to reduce the differential pressure seen by the filter.

The "usual" approach has the relief path back into the sump, essentially a short circuit around the pump. All oil is still filtered.

The Porsche design short circuits the filter, delivering unfiltered oil at high pressure to the internal bearings.

If I'm reading this correctly, this is clearly an important difference. Both achieve a reduction of differential pressure at the filter, but Porsche's design introduces debris-laden oil into the engine. The upside of Porsche's design is that oil is delivered into the engine even if highly viscous. Is this a good tradeoff? Nobody here without direct, applicable data can answer that authoritatively.

Quick Reply: Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?