Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh boy, here we go again. The spin on oil filters are gonna be the next fear monger tactic since most that feed into the IMS hysteria have already done them.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Is that picture of a slide under a microscope?
Yes it is.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Can the spring force be measured and compared to that of a new filter housing spring?
Yes, but a jig that must be made up to facilitate the work is required. The OEM filter housing is cheap to replace (which is the root of the problem) and we often replace them during our IMSR procedures should they fail the test or even be close.

With this instance we are even closer to mandating that the LN Spin On oil filter adaptor be employed with all IMS retrofits.

Lots can be learned from the issues that we experience at our level. That's why I instruct my classes and fill them with this empirical data.

Mike will be back on the road in less than 6 weeks because his cylinders measured within spec and the remainder of the engine passed my tests for being repairable without the need for reconstruction. That saves a slot for someone who needs it as well as gets his car completed a year early:-)

It's not fear monger tactics, it's the fact if the matter. If someone or a group of people don't understand how the OEM filter housing and bypass works that's only their own fault. If someone can't understand that time in service and being exposed to hot engine oil with thousands of thermal cycles can't impact the integrity of a lightweight spring, that's also their own fault.

Mike and his wallet do understand this. Thank goodness he did the right thing and stopped driving it, because of his actions we can repair it with thousands of dollars saved, at near 1/2 price of the worst case scenario.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Oh boy, here we go again. The spin on oil filters are gonna be the next fear monger tactic since most that feed into the IMS hysteria have already done them.
Right. Like I had to say on another thread recently: real data has a way of puncturing preconceived ideas.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM
6ta1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question: isn't the bypass valve here for a reason in the first place? (really just asking)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ta1
I have a question: isn't the bypass valve here for a reason in the first place? (really just asking)
Of course it is.. BUT the bypass in these engine is a horrible design. Most other engines route bypass oil back to the sump, not diverting it around the filter.

The issue is the engine creating the wear debris in the first place.. If it didn't do that, then the bypass failure would be no big deal at all.

The bypass is there to keep the OE filter cartridge from collapsing, better filters have a stronger filter media.

I have another product in final testing that allows a bypass and routes oil back to the sump- the way it should have been.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filter bypassing isn't uncommon. We use them in the oil and fuel systems on aircraft. The theory is that it is better to circulate some fluid (oil or fuel) than to starve the component entirely. Obviously, circulating unfiltered (bypassed) oil in a jet engine is risky, but less risky than oil starvation due to filter clog. Same is true for fuel.

I'm unconvinced that filter bypassing is necessary in automotive applications. To that end, I have the LN spin-on kit.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm kind of new to oil filter discussion, and spin-on adapter etc.

If someone or a group of people don't understand how the OEM filter housing and bypass works that's only their own fault.
Sure it's my fault because I don't know what I don't know. So if someone can please explain how it works? Or a link to the explanation?

Now to spin-on adapter and the oil filer I would need, I can't find anything here for M96.

http://lnengineering.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=m96
Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Originally Posted by 318touring
Now to spin-on adapter and the oil filer I would need, I can't find anything here for M96.

http://lnengineering.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=m96
http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...ayman-911.html

Filter is mentioned elsewhere (I forget where), I ordered Napa Gold 1042 from Amazon, $8 each.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Question is not of understanding but whether the chances of something happening outweigh the costs from a manufacturing point(also called over engineering).

I mean do you really think if Porsche thought the filter bypass was really bad that they wouldn't have already updated it in their designs?

179K 996's out there and even if you can get 25% of those 179k people to update their oil filter housing, that's quite a bit of dough. A good opportunity to offset or supplement the IMS retrofit sales.

Alright I know where this is gonna lead...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Another "must have" fix for our doomed 996!

Sorry, but I dont think Porsche engineers are as dumb as people make out
Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Yep. I find the spin-on a little cleaner to deal with. That it doesn't bypass is an ancillary bonus to me.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mklein9
http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...ayman-911.html

Filter is mentioned elsewhere (I forget where), I ordered Napa Gold 1042 from Amazon, $8 each.
Hah thanks.

I misread MY97 as M97. Doh!

The oil filter then just screws into the adapter? I suppose would be directly exposed to the road surface and elements? I know Porsche's own is just a plastic container.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

CHEEZUS CHREIST!!! (sic)

Just when I thought it safe to come back to Rennlist, this type of hysteria is up again.
I'm a trained manufacturing and mechanical engineer. Oil filters on most high performance engines have bypass valves because unfiltered OIL is better than not enough oil from a clogged filter. That's why our car has bypass valves. Believe it or not, 99% of all M96 owners WHO NEVER VISIT RENNLIST or who have NEVER HEARD of Jake Raby or LN Engineering have owned and run M96 and M97.1 cars for YEARS without all these aftermarket 'improvement' parts. They follow factory maintenance schedules on factory spec oil and do PERFECTLY FINE. And you know what else? the factory oil filter mechanism of removable cartridge filters - standard on almost every other German car I've EVER seen, has the benefit of reduced environmental impact because dirty oil filled spin filters end up in land fills and leaching into the ground.

Now, we, by nature being on an enthusiast site will be a little more OCD over our cars than the general population, and those people with problems will naturally come to the Internet to seek out answers / solace.

If it satisfies your OCD nature and you are 100% sure your oil filter will NEVER impede the proper flow of oil to the engine, and you are 100% sure you are going to change the oil every 5K miles, sure - go ahead get the LNE spin on oil filter adapter that eliminates bypass valve if it helps you sleep better at night.

BUT, I totally reject this nonsense and hysteria that if you don't buy their $140 kit that your engine is going to grenade.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:26 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Agreed^

Quick Reply: Shavings from old failed IMS (??) now showing up?