Sponsored by:

IMS new detection speculation

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1schoir
Je voudrais m'exprimer d'une autre facon, but...out of respect I will simply say:

Give me a VERY LARGE BRAKE, Please!

On second thought, give me an EXCEEDINGLY LARGE BRAKE, PLEASE!

Regards, Maurice.
A Brake ain’t guuna help just switch the engine off.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

#130 Peace of mind until I do the IMSBR myself, and then make sure everything is good for a while. Once I feel confident all is well, I can always remove it and resell it, so the long term cost can be minimal. Really, any high quality desireable mod is like that. If you can afford the initial coast, you can usually recover at least 50% or more down the road if you decide to delete it later.

So can you specify matte cover for those of us with matte buttons? I have "White over Clear" extra strength adhesive P-touch ribbon, so I can use that if the IMS decal is an issue on matte. Better than one shiny button amongst the matte ones.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
#130 Peace of mind until I do the IMSBR myself, and then make sure everything is good for a while. Once I feel confident all is well, I can always remove it and resell it, so the long term cost can be minimal. Really, any high quality desireable mod is like that. If you can afford the initial coast, you can usually recover at least 50% or more down the road if you decide to delete it later.

So can you specify matte cover for those of us with matte buttons? I have "White over Clear" extra strength adhesive P-touch ribbon, so I can use that if the IMS decal is an issue on matte. Better than one shiny button amongst the matte ones.
Matte sure would be nice. Maybe some black matte spray paint will do the trick.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Richard Hamilton
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done it the opposite way round by spraying a matte finish Targa blind swith with gloss lacquer (to use as a garage door opener button). I don't see why you couldn't just spray it with a few light coats of matte lacquer.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The switches come either way from Porsche. Shouldn't be a big deal for them to supply it either way, considering the small runs, & hand packed design. They're not THAT expensive.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
jadiehat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

First, all of us at Flat 6 Innovations want to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day. Lets all remember what the day truly celebrates and appreciate the fact we live in best country since man walked this earth.

Just wanted to let you all know that Flat 6 Innovations will be closed from July 2 - July 11 for the summer break. We have been busting tail to get this product out to market ASAP and need a break.

We want to thank each of that has taken the time to pre-order the IMS Guardian from Flat 6 Innovations. The trust each of you has put into our company by pre-ordering a product that is yet to be fully revealed to you, gives us great pride in our reputation.

A few updates on the product:

1. We have tested the IMS Guardian against extreme conditions including exposure to 515 degrees Fahrenheit. The unit worked as planned with no deficiencies.

2. We just purchased a slightly wrecked 2003 Boxster S with a perfectly good running engine. We will be sacrificing the engine to failure on our chassis dyno in the coming weeks. To induce failure we will be removing the current IMS Bearing and replacing it with one pulled from an engine that had early symptoms of imminent IMS failure (Stage 1). This test will be the final test for the IMS Guardian. The expected result will be an IMS Alert prior to failure. We will then run the engine until it completely fails giving us an estimate of the time you might expect to have from Alert to Failure. This test is applicable to all Boxster and 996 vehicles (1998-2008). If anyone needs Boxster parts we will be parting out the rest of the car when the test is over.

3. We did reveal the complete technology and blue prints to a pair of technical writers and the editor at large for a Porsche trade magazine. We're not going to name drop on this board, but most of you know who they are. Here are the direct quotes from them:

a. “The technology is really cool but the way you are applying the technology is brilliant, a relatively simple and effective solution for a complex situation."

b. “I must say that I am impressed, we are impressed, I grew up in shops, around motorsports to boot, and thought I have seen it all, this is brilliant, job well done.”

c. Editor at large: “First thought was: pure genius.”

Validation from respected peers in this industry proved to be one of the most rewarding days at this facility.

Take care and we will be in touch when we return back to the facility.

James and Jake
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

2. We just purchased a slightly wrecked 2003 Boxster S with a perfectly good running engine. We will be sacrificing the engine to failure on our chassis dyno in the coming weeks. To induce failure we will be removing the current IMS Bearing and replacing it with one pulled from an engine that had early symptoms of imminent IMS failure (Stage 1). This test will be the final test for the IMS Guardian. The expected result will be an IMS Alert prior to failure. We will then run the engine until it completely fails giving us an estimate of the time you might expect to have from Alert to Failure. This test is applicable to all Boxster and 996 vehicles (1998-2008).

WOW, how very scientific of you...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 PM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
2. We just purchased a slightly wrecked 2003 Boxster S with a perfectly good running engine. We will be sacrificing the engine to failure on our chassis dyno in the coming weeks. To induce failure we will be removing the current IMS Bearing and replacing it with one pulled from an engine that had early symptoms of imminent IMS failure (Stage 1). This test will be the final test for the IMS Guardian. The expected result will be an IMS Alert prior to failure. We will then run the engine until it completely fails giving us an estimate of the time you might expect to have from Alert to Failure. This test is applicable to all Boxster and 996 vehicles (1998-2008).

Shouldn't this test already have been carried out before you started selling the product?

I'm all for it if it works, but seems a little late to be testing the product when the first run is already sold.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
WOW, how very scientific of you...
I kind of agree here....
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,288 Likes on 902 Posts

Nothing has been "sold" as of yet. Anyone who has pre-ordered has the option of cancelling their order when the technology is released, if for some reason they would like to. We have yet to charge anyone, or any distributor a single dollar for these systems. Pre-orders have been a way for us to communicate with those seriously interested in the technology, first and foremost. These "pre-order" individuals will have the technology released to them first.

The product testing is complete, however the one final thing remains and thats sacrificing an engine purposely, while protected. This is simply required as it is "real" and not done with any variables, like any other sort of testing we have done in my lab. As the developer of this system I must pilot a vehicle, see and hear the IMS Alert and then push the engine to final failure. This must occur successfully before I take a single dollar from anyone for this product.

This metod of testing may not be scientific, but engine failure isn't very "correct" when it occurs. This is a crude way to top off all that we have been doing for the past several months in regard to final testing of the product. Here engines are simply disposable in our quest to continue the evolution of the breed, if you guys had an idea how many of our own engines we have broken in our quest to gain knowledge, you'd have a heart attack. There are times when the only way to get the job done is the old fashioned way.

All that said, we are all officially on vacation until July 11th, the entire facility is closed for the next week. We need time away from the shop and this development. We will come back refreshed and ready to finish this development.

Thanks to the believers. I am very excited to say the least, especially after the comments we received this week. See y'all on the 11th! I am outta here!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
chamilun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jake
will there be a writeup in Excellence?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Talked to the ad department at Excellence today.. If all works out with the legal processes the unveiling will occur in the Excellence issue that is distributed the first week of July.
Hi Jake:

I'd like to buy the magazine.

Could you confirm that this is the issue, please?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,288 Likes on 902 Posts

The story will be covered in Excellence, we just don't know when. More than likely it will be the issue that is released in October 2011. The issue that is posted will not have the story included.

When I know for sure I will let you guys know.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Jake
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
1schoir
Intermediate

Arrow

Originally Posted by juankimalo
Hi Jake:

I'd like to buy the magazine.

Could you confirm that this is the issue, please?

Joaquin:

I'm always very excited at the prospect of a newly-hatched issue of Excellence Magazine, as it always contains a veritable wealth of information. The subject issue (around OCT 2011) will be especially exciting with this kind of bear ring content and all of these technological exploits to be finally revealed. I have used the contents inthe correct context professionally in my own endeavors to a great benefit.

The only damper on the whole situation (IMNSHO) is that the word "unveiling" as used in Mr. Raby's quote traditionally has a connotation of death in one of the major religions (which shall go nameless for obvious reasons). Suffice it to say that following one year, all of these testings and actual real-world conditions of purposefully blowing up an engine with this one scientifically-targeted- mode- of- failure as its intended target/victim should be simply amazing, albeit tinged with sadness at the passing of one of Dr. Porsche's M96 powerplants.

(I had to take that other aforementioned exceedingly large brake), now.

Anyway, Like the man says: Drive it like they are meant to be driven, and don't be concerned about a few engines blowing up in the vicinity of the Flat6 Innovations testing grounds! You couldn't be near a more experienced and committed kind of guys.

This shall undoubtedly enhance the reputation of all of those involved or in the market for Porsches, whether they are 911's , Cayman's or Boxsters, and in ANY state or in AllState s, without or without any service contracts in the aftermarkets!!!! So, keep up the good werx and keep the tomes coming!

Excelsior!!!! Up! Up! Awaaaaaaayyyy!!!

Most Excellent,
Regards, Maurice.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine gotta beatin yesterday.

She's real dirty now!.

I found out its a great fly swatter too.

Quick Reply: IMS new detection speculation