Sponsored by:

IMS new detection speculation

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Brandoo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake,

The product looks like a nice complete kit. However....

Kit is sitting in my garage. I probably won't install it until I change my oil in the Spring.

Removal of the sump plate takes it out of the DIY realm for me, as I don't have a lift and laying on your back with the car on jack stands is ok for oil change, but not fun for removal/replacement of the plate.

My suggestion for the second gen IMS Guardian...........

Utilize a wireless transmitter like the tire pressure monitoring systems to eliminate the need to hard wire anything.

Terry
Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

The R&R of the sump plate is not a requirement, however it is highly recommended to reduce the chances of a false positive. Removal of the sump plate is not that difficult, however it does add time.

I had considered a bluetooth version and the universal system we are developing now for other applications, but cost will more than likely be prohibitive.

BUT the wiring aspect is simple as hell.. Its really as simple as robbing power via a jumper from an existing switch, then stick the "add a circuit" adaptor into the fuse box and its done. It can't be any easier or better.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,

Firstly my kit has cleared customs I have now paid import tax and its on its way!.
Many thanks.

Secondly on the mention of false positives would I presume that the first thing to do after switching off the engine if it were on, Would be to remove the sensor and inspect what and how big the debris is that has triggered?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Will Curil-T work as a sealant? I have that.The only auto parts store here is NAPA and they don't have Drei-Bond. I am taking my car to my mechanic friend today for install and he believes he has an appropriate sealant but not Drei-Bond. I'm thinking the Curil-T is better than Locktite products but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by dennis hiip; 11-01-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dennis,

Permatex The Right Stuff is the same as Locktite 5900. I called Permatex and confirmed this.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I really like Curil T sealant but not in this application. I have tried it before and was not impressed with the performance.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. The IMS Guardian is installed and working. We used Locktite 5900 sparingly on the sump after meticulously cleaning it . My mechanic had some difficulty with the connections due to my car varying from the instructions and video. He called Flat 6 and Jake happened to answer the phone and provided the needed info. Thanks Jake. My sump was very clean after 79K although there was some very small fine black granules that broke apart to powder when rubbed between my fingers. Mechanic wasn't concerned-thought it was carbon. Does that sound right? It was a very small amount and barely visible.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same thing dennis. even found a few in my filter
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 AM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious, for those who have installed the guardian, where did you route the wire through the firewall? I've done wiring in my Jeep before, and usually getting wires from outside the passenger compartment to the dash is the least fun part.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DK570
I'm curious, for those who have installed the guardian, where did you route the wire through the firewall? I've done wiring in my Jeep before, and usually getting wires from outside the passenger compartment to the dash is the least fun part.
That is certainly the least fun part of the IMSG.. We made the wire harness long enough to support any routing that the purchaser could imagine. every different year and model has various routing methods, as long as you stay away from heat sources and road hazards it really doesn't matter how you pass the wires through the body.

We will have IMSG units on hand at The Mille Porsche event at Atlanta Motor Speedway tomorrow and will be offering special pricing at the show :-)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,

firstly, many thanks mine arrived today it only took USPS 3 days to get it to the UK but then the postal service in england took two weeks to travel a hundred miles LOL. No wonder we are an island.

I have a question, Would it be necessary for any debris to short across both contacts to throw a warninng?

Quick Reply: IMS new detection speculation