Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911audiophile
I have 5 extra springs that I'll gladly ship to anyone interested. MacMaster-Carr had a 6 piece minimum. ...
pm sent -
Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

pm sent
Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
SPDYLLW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another booster-springless convert

I'm grateful someone resurrected this thread a little bit ago so that I saw it. I did this today to my 2001 C2, and what a difference! The clutch action is absolutely fantastic since I removed the spring. Previously I felt like I was abusing the clutch by slipping it inadvertantly due to never being able to determine where the friction point was. Now I think my clutch life (just had it replaced, as well as a new fly wheel) will be much extended, and I don't feel like such an amateur by making the car lurch! Thanks for posting this.

Greg
Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some tips that worked for me..

Originally Posted by nick49
1. remove the plastic air ducting thats in the way
2. remove the elecrtical switch by disconecting the terminal and twisting switch 90 degrees
3. I found it easier NOT to remove the clip and pin in the plastic male clevis
4. insert a nail or short piece of wire thru the hole in the pin that extends thru the back side of the sping canister to prevent the spring from fully extending upon removal
5. depress the clutch pedal as necessary and pry the complete spring and canister forward to release it from the gold bracket
6. maneuver the spring assembly so as it will drop out as the pedal is depressed fully
Thanks to the poster of the above!

OK, you would think I would not have had as much trouble doing this relatively simple mod considering I single handedly (after never having done so on any Porsche before, 300ZX yes, but not a Porsche) replaced my clutch and flywheel this weekend. Where I kept getting stuck was locating the hole to put the nail in. AHA! There it is... Then laying down and hold the clutch pedal is not much fun either.. So what I did was got a broom handle that has a rubber thingy on one end, put one end on the clutch pedal with the handle through the steering wheel and the other end on the seat back. Using the electric controls I then moved the seat angle forward little by little until the clutch pedal was fully depressed. Stuck a flat bladed screw driver up and pried front to rear on the end toward the front of the car. The spring assemble damn near dropped on the floor by itself it was so easy!

Here are some pics that may help others in this endeavor. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, wife is out of town with the good digital camera so my Treo phone was all that was available..

This shows where the nail is inserted. I suggest using one with a head on it. First one I tried was too small and fell through...

Above show my easy clutch pedal depression tool.. Was still plenty of room to slide under (6 foot 1, 185 pounds). YMMV
Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I did this yesterday. Tailwag, thx. for the pics.! Nosub, the broom handle idea was the ticket!! I was sure I was going to like it before I did it. Then afterwards I wasn't so sure anymore. Now today, I had to drive to the body shop in Charlotte at 8:00 rush hour. I have to say even with that, I'm glad I did it! It is harder, significantly harder on the leg IMHO. But even with that I think it's really improved the driving experience.
The owner b4 me must have had the squeeky clutch, because the spring was loaded with grease!!
Again, thanks fellow rennlisters. This membership has been the best $$ I ever spent!!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
chill3
AutoX

Default best mod for the money

Just did this... I have had an '01 996 for about 6 months and was wondering why I was not as smooth on the clutch as I felt I should be coming from a couple Lotuses and ages of driving BMWs ... well, glad to find this thread and it seems it wasn't (all) me...

...putting the vent back was harder than the actual modification... put the outboard (window) side on first...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed the McMaster-Carr 9657K142 spring in my 2002 C2.
I like the feel/action of the engagement better now.

Bill
Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Searched the site for info on clutch bleeding as I did'nt feel comfortable with the feel of my clutch. Hate to drum up an old thread, but thought some other newbies like me would benefit from reading this.

I performed the mod in less than 10 minutes , and it was'nt difficult. Like most things, I could do it again in 1/3 the time. Hardest part was getting the air duct back in for me.

I love the way the clutch feels now. Its the way I thought a clutch in a porsche would feel. Alot more control, and much better than the mushy feeling prior to removing the spring assembly.

Finally ditched the pumpkins too. I like that look much better. Now to drop the cans and get them Fisterized.

I see what you guys meant about the mod bug. Definitely addictive. My problem is I hate to tear things apart , because that means I lose my daily dose of adrenaline driving the snot out of this thing!

Thanks to all on this site for the info. It has made my experience of owning my car much more rewarding. More expensive , but rewarding.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 492 Posts

Does this work on Tips?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Does this work on Tips?
Yah it works on the tiptronics.

The extra sounds an exhaust can make are often misinterpreted by police as a mating call. This makes them highly irrational when they finally see you round the turn. This has been my personal experience rocketing up a valley.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Does this work on Tips?
Yeah, you remove the paddle springs for better paddle feel!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, Nice thread revisit. I might give this a try. A mod that no one is screaming how it is NOT going to work....
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Even without the booster spring, the clutch is still light compared to the old muscle cars when you would run a clutch so heavy your leg would shake holding it down. Traffic is no problem.
Originally Posted by fty
Does this work on Tips?
Yes the spring is a little harder to find. Just keep looking. Oh yeah... on the tip you have to remove the dash to get to the spring. But well worth it
Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting to see my old thread reserected after almost 3 years. Anyway I still stand by my claim that this makes a world of difference in the driving pleasure of this car and makes a clutch feel like it should.

The best and least expensive mod I've done, and is noticed every time I engage the clutch. I would be willing to bet that this mod will substantially increase clutch plate and pp life as well. Better feel equals less slipping and hunting for that sweetspot of impending friction.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for resurrecting, can't remember reading this one before. On to do list...or at least check it out.

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically