996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement V

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ you know, not everyone necessarily "hates" your opinions, as you said. I appreciate the fact that you at least seem to keep your temper in check when so many people argue with you about what you OBVIOUSLY believe so strongly in.

The information you put up is interesting, and I really wish we knew more about what any of this stuff means. I wish we could do a poll of every single Porsche owner who ever lived and get the history on every piece of maintenance performed. I want to see graphs and charts all color-coded and accurate to .0001%.

Until then, I don't know what to make of any of this info. All the *I* know for sure, is that *my* 99 996 runs really great except for a few rattles here and there.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, once again you are drawing conclusions from a statistically insignificant sample size. Those numbers you listed are interesting but absolutely worthless at best. You cannot draw any meaningful conclusions from those numbers. You are merely guessing. I really suggest you read a basic book on statistics (is there a Statistics for Dummies book?) so you can see that what you are doing is a waste of time without real data.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:59 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

programmatore,

as i said over and over again, we are working with EXTREMELY low numbers and one can't come to any definitate conclusions about anything.. but I, like many others i'm sure find what little info we do have to be maybe potentially valuable...

for someone looking at buying a MY 1999 or a 2002 with only a few thousand miles, I would think this information would be VERY important... it looks like once one is over the 15,000 hump for the 3.6L engine, one is out in the clear... and for the 3.4L ..the 99 has all the problems, while 00 problems seem to have been corrected... but this is of course looking at stats from way less than 1% of cars out there.. but then again, lots of polls out there, take numbers from much less than 1% of the population.. so who knows.. regardless, take the research as you want...

there is no need to criticize everything i say.. take the information as you wish.. as it's less than 1% of actual numbers of what is out there.. but like has been said before, what else do we have? porsche ain't talkin....

if you don't use this information, fine, but i don't think criticizing me for doing some research that MAY be helpful to some is needed and I have to stand up for myself and think many would agree with me.. i think these posts are relevant to some potential or current porsche owners, and if you dont' find them relevant, then don't pay attention to them.. no need to criticize every thing i say, just because "i" say it... i'm just reposting data i've researched..

the results are by no means definite or an indication of anything.. take them as you wish..

you obviously have a 00 and should be very happy with the results ..that 00 only has 2 reported failures online i could find.. i like your sig btw
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Bob - You have obviously put a lot of time in gathering the data that you post , and I for one am appreciative of your efforts. The fact that the '04s seen to be holding up well doesn't surprise me, since most car models have the best quality in their last year of production. The manufacturer has had many years to identify and correct problems, and of course the fewer the problems, the more profits are retained by the manufacturer. Hence, the manufacturer is highly motivated to produce a trouble free car.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
tmonkey
6th Gear

Default Add another one...

Add mine to your stats. My '99 C2 is in for a new engine at 42,000 miles. Dealer thinks it's a porous block. Porsche USA are picking up the new engine leaving me $6,500 for installation, cooling system and a few odds and ends (including the coolant tank).
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough, Bob. Sorry if I came off as being dismissive of your efforts. You have obviously spent a lot of time on the boards to get that data. As I have said before, the numbers aren't of enough statistical significance to come to any conclusions but they are interesting. The old adage about getting the newest car that you can afford does seem to apply in this case.

Like you I am frustrated with the lack of concrete numbers from Porsche. I too would love to see a definitive answer -- either positive or negative -- to put this issue to rest.

I liked the "Attention *****" emoticon in your sig. I just took it to the next level with my emoticon Bobs.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Prog, I love your emoticons. I was dying when I first saw them. Of course, all in good fun.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmonkey
Add mine to your stats. My '99 C2 is in for a new engine at 42,000 miles. Dealer thinks it's a porous block. Porsche USA are picking up the new engine leaving me $6,500 for installation, cooling system and a few odds and ends (including the coolant tank).
Are you the original owner? If so, can you remember how you drove it when it was new?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmm this is getting to be a sport it seems. Another survey on failed Boxster engines. Look HERE
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 AM
munro86
Racer

"the results are by no means definite or an indication of anything.".-Bob
Someone get me my tablets ,I need a good lie down.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Originally Posted by munro86
"the results are by no means definite or an indication of anything.".-Bob
Someone get me my tablets ,I need a good lie down.
yes, and what's your point? obviously engine failure is an issue with the 996s, but nobody knows to what degree and what indications there are about what is causing the failures... until porsche releases stats (not likely) one can't come to a definite conclusion about anything other than the data we have on the forums..

btw: have you ever posted a positive post? every single post i have ever seen from you is about criticizing someone else.. is your life that miserable?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:22 AM
munro86
Racer

My point? My point? Surely you can't be that stupid. You have spent months and months trying to say exactly what you now deny i.e. that your copious anecdotal, untested stories actually represent something DEFINITE and INDICATE SOMETHING. So that is my point! If you can't see that, I can't help you. Keep backtracking Bob, but watch out you'll eventually fall off the earth. Your cornered and you know it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:24 AM
munro86
Racer

Oh and stick to the issues-I'm deleriously happy with my unexploded Porsche!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

munro,

i think it's the other way around.. i don't think you are that stupid to realize what this thread is about..

it is obviously clear that there are engine issues with the 996.. is that even up for debate? my posts in this thread is about the severity of the engine replacements, what causes them, what years suffered the most failures, etc.. from an extremely small percentage of data... when you have much less than 1% of data available, then one can't come to any clear and definite or indication of anything as i said previously and one has to come to their own conclusions what these figures represent in terms of engine failures... for example, one can't say.. "all 99s have 10 times the amount of engine failures as 00s, PROOF POSITIVE" it is a mere observation from the small data available... you take another 1% ..and it could be completely different.. there just aren't enough online users to make any rational conclusion to the severity of the engine failures... if you had read my posts, you would understand this..

as said before.. think before you speak...
Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 AM
munro86
Racer

Are you for real? You've spent post after post trying give everyone the hee bee gee bee's about their Porsche's being explosions wating to happen. Now you've changed your tune in that you now realise that your data can't support those scare- mongering assertions. Your puerile attempts to suggest I haven't noticed your back flip is patently absurd. Think before I speak? I would be very surprised that you are capable of constructing a logically plausible narrative without resorting to voluminous histrionics. And whats more it is NOT clear that there is a SIGNIFICANT problem with the 996 engine. Again, and I'm tired of this boring repitition, YOU HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED THIS! How can you say within the last couple of posts that "the results are by no means definite or an indication of anything.".and then say " it is obviously clear that there are engine issues with the 996" Can you see the non-sequitir? Probably not or more likely you don't want to. Who knows....

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement V