996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement V

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask a question, in all seriousness...

When you have a RMS leakage problem, how much oil are we talking about?

Bill
Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by racerjsz06
Watch out! I said the same thing 10K mi. ago and now I'm eating crow and paying close to $9K to get my car back on the read. Don't try to pretend there are no problems in fear it will hurt your cars value. There are real propblems, not with every car, not with most cars, but few too many based on my own personal basis. 1999 996 61K mi - Engine Toasted - Cyl # 2 failed.
Joe - be sure to check out my new website coming soon to report your failure:

996classaction.com
Old 02-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
ouch that second picture doesn't look pretty.. broken intermediate shaft sounds much better than actually seeing it in pictures :>

toolpants: do you have a picture of a rod being thrown through the block? curious to compare..
I do not but there was one at my dealer a few months ago. A 1999 C4. I could not take pictures because when I was there the car had already been taken off the lift and pushed outside the shop.

So how about a rod through a piston instead?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, FWIW, you may want to at least put up an e-mail address on the site...
Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
why would anyone need to replace a porsche engine? these things are bulletproof..

mine is.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:33 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by karlooz
mine is.

Mine 2

I drive hard and rev high every chance I get without abusing it - just like it was made to do... every single day. 85k miles and I don't burn or drip any oil and it's as strong as ever.

When my car turns 100,000miles I may put in an EVOMS supercharger.. just for because.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:41 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toolpants,

Thanks for the pictures. I've followed much of your input (especially with respect to Boxsters) for some time now - very informative. I have a question regarding engine failure in the 3.6 cars. I'm assuming this is a much more rare event than in the 3.4 model (mainly due to sleeving problems on the 3.4s). Is this an accurate assumption? Frankly, the only issues that have a hesitating (and only a small bit) are intermediate shaft and slipped sleeve issues resulting in engine failure. The RMS issue is manageable for me.

TIA,

Joe

1995 Porsche 993
1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5 (240HP) daily - SOLD - probably will replace with a 996 3.6
1988 BMW 325is - mine again
Old 02-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Porsche did not sleeve 996 engines.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

jm: check the 84 engine replacements thread and you will see that the engine replacements are pretty fair distribution wise between 3.4 and 3.6.. doesn't seem to matterf.. although 00 and 01 seemed to be a good year..
Old 02-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Well, if and when I need a new engine, let's hope they've corrected whatever it is that's prone to failure. So far though, my engine seems pretty solid. I wonder if it has anything to do with how I 'broke it in'. I recall hardly ever shifting into sixth gear, and keeping the revs between 3,000 and 5,000. I think one of the worst things for these engines is to push them in a high gear at low revs. That, and downshfting from fifth to second at speed!
Old 02-11-2006, 04:01 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Well, if and when I need a new engine, let's hope they've corrected whatever it is that's prone to failure. So far though, my engine seems pretty solid. I wonder if it has anything to do with how I 'broke it in'. I recall hardly ever shifting into sixth gear, and keeping the revs between 3,000 and 5,000. I think one of the worst things for these engines is to push them in a high gear at low revs. That, and downshfting from fifth to second at speed!
Paul I have always wondered the same thing. If you look at the engines that failed in Bob's thread you will notice that a very large percentage of them are very low mileage cars with most having somwhere between 10k-20k miles on them when the engine failed (if I remember right). I always wondered with such low mileage whether it was truly an engine/manufacturer problem or an initial break-in problem. Since it seems that many are second owners it would be difficult to ever know.

However, the low mileage also be one of those situations where if it is defective then it blows more quickly similar to what they say about electronic items in that if they are going to fail they will more likely fail early vs. later if they are going to fail (abuse notwithstanding obviously).

Last edited by bet; 02-11-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I recall hardly ever shifting into sixth gear, and keeping the revs between 3,000 and 5,000. I think one of the worst things for these engines is to push them in a high gear at low revs.

There's no evidence that driving at lower RPM ranges would cause an engine to blow. I'm very skeptical that it would. Even if it would cause engines to blow, why would it only occur on Porsche engines? It's inconceivable that only Porsche drivers would drive in a manner you believe to be dangerous to engine longevity. If you visit other car performance forums, vette, M3, viper, you won't see any threads focussing on engine replacements, at least not on the forums that I visit.

I believe that it's unfair to suggest that the drivers of these cars with blown engines are somehow at fault. It's far more likely that they had defective engines. Unfortunately, we don't have any way of determing just how widespread the problem is. Only Porsche knows for sure, and they aren't talking.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I wasn't impying that drivers are to blame for their engines blowing (although a small percentage probably are due to driver error or abuse), but I was just pointing out why my engine may have been spared any problems.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
I wasn't impying that drivers are to blame for their engines blowing (although a small percentage probably are due to driver error or abuse), but I was just pointing out why my engine may have been spared any problems.
Paul: Keeping the RPMs high is working for you anyway, and who knows maybe you are on to something. It can't be good for your gas mileage however.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:40 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
I recall hardly ever shifting into sixth gear, and keeping the revs between 3,000 and 5,000. I think one of the worst things for these engines is to push them in a high gear at low revs.

There's no evidence that driving at lower RPM ranges would cause an engine to blow. I'm very skeptical that it would. Even if it would cause engines to blow, why would it only occur on Porsche engines? It's inconceivable that only Porsche drivers would drive in a manner you believe to be dangerous to engine longevity. If you visit other car performance forums, vette, M3, viper, you won't see any threads focussing on engine replacements, at least not on the forums that I visit.

I believe that it's unfair to suggest that the drivers of these cars with blown engines are somehow at fault. It's far more likely that they had defective engines. Unfortunately, we don't have any way of determing just how widespread the problem is. Only Porsche knows for sure, and they aren't talking.
while we're arguing about failing engines and transmissions....
the ppl in the vette forums are complaining about plastic dashes and falling off interior trim

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement V