996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement V

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

I would suggest spend the energy on collecting specific information on engine failure
VIN, YEAR, Miles, Model

get some real info go on the other forums and collect all you can.
until then this is just a conversation with no end
Engine Replacement XXX will be awaiting
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
Dell - you cannot be as pompous and errogant as you sound. This is really over the top, even for you.

BS we so belive in? Do you want me to fax you the $7200 in receipts I got this week for having my car repaired? Do you want Bob to fax you his $18K in receipts? What more proof are you looking for? Are you really that blind, or are you scared to admit that this happens? Maybe if it happens to you, you will believe it. I can't wait to read your posts then.

This thread is not constructive at all. Just more name-calling and bashing by the stats professor. I took your crappy class when I was in school, and thinking back to my professor, Dr. Wolmer, I can see why you are so out of touch with reality. No social graces, just "this is the way it is because I say so."

I have said before that I do not wish any bad will on anyone, but if I were to change my mind, you would be at the top of the list my friend.
Ease up Joe. The thread was meant in jest. Just trying to have a little fun. Think of it like a SNL skit. We know that the problems exeist, we know that Porsche conveniently turns away, but we also have NO idea how pervasive the problem is. Therefore, conjecture and humor is the best medicine.

Didn't mean to offend or come across as arrogant. I will tell you (not you specifically) my stance as I have said over and over. I feel for ANYBODY that has had to go through something like this. I don't wish it on ANYBODY. I want to hear others stories. But what I don't care for is preaching the gospel of bitterness and trying to drag anybody down with possible (see example of Bob). And of course the most important (to me that is) is those people liek kBob that like to extrapolate imaginary numbers from an internet post(s). As a stats professor (and there are others here on the board) it just boggles my mind that anybody can come to a conclusion like.......it must have rained since the ground is wet. Not always the case. If you do your homework and gets the facts compiled in a proper way then I will listen.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, two things please. When you refer to bobporsche996, please spell it out. I don't want PCNA confusing him with me!

Dell, my favorite example is a correlation which proves that turning on the seatbelt light causes turbulence in airplanes.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
Dell - you cannot be as pompous and errogant as you sound. This is really over the top, even for you.

This thread is not constructive at all. Just more name-calling and bashing by the stats professor.

I have said before that I do not wish any bad will on anyone, but if I were to change my mind, you would be at the top of the list my friend.
Dell does say some unforntunate things (we got into it about POS 350Zs once) bur he is a dedicated owner who contributes alot........I mean I never knew there was such a thing as commercials for strippers , but you are the one who goes ON & ON. Fix the car, sell it, and move on already.

Actually, the pics Toolpants is posting makes the threads very interesting, fun stuff to see. All cars suffer some % of failure, unavoidable. But I haven't seen evidence that this is a widespread problem such as the M3 engine issue.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dell, my favorite example is a correlation which proves that turning on the seatbelt light causes turbulence in airplanes.
Another great one! My wife did the same thing last night. She came home and said, "there is something wrong with the car".....to which I ask what it was....her response was "when I turned on the headlights the car stalled". My response to her was, "you think that since you the car stalled at the very moment you turned the lights on, there is a problem with the lights?"

Oh I just have to smile and keep loving her
Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shark
Dell does say some unforntunate things (we got into it about POS 350Zs once) bur he is a dedicated owner who contributes alot........I mean I never knew there was such a thing as commercials for strippers
Hey, I love the Z's!!!! Anyway, thanks for the compliments. Let me know if you want any of the commercials taped. I can post a sample one day so y'all can hear what I have become disensitized to.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, there are some sensitive people here. I feel bad for anyone that has had to pay a lot to repair their cars - that sucks, no matter which way you cut it. However, I think that anyone that buys or drives a Porsche while it's not under warranty is exposing themselves to a certain amount of risk, and they should know that. I don't know Dell, but I perceive him as sarcastic, but not arrogant. There has seemed to be a lot of negative posts about these cars, and I think the guy was just trying to have some fun.

Since 2006 seems to be the year of piling up on Dell, I'm thinking about starting a new game wherein someone starts a thread, says something silly (but masks it as true or sincere), and whoever gets the strongest reaction out of Dell wins. I'm just trying to figure out how to judge the contest and what the prize should be.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

The prize? That's easy! A rebuilt 996 engine with no warranty. Obvious no?
Old 02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
woody-77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The prize? That's easy! A rebuilt 996 engine with no warranty. Obvious no?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just thought I would start a thread for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to post their BS they so believe in. No need to have supporting facts. No need to have proof. No need to have REAL data. No need to have..........well you get the picture. Just anybody with a bad taste in their mouth and just wants to preach their gospel.

Have at it all you Bob's........
LOL..too funny Dell.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Boy, there are some sensitive people here. I feel bad for anyone that has had to pay a lot to repair their cars - that sucks, no matter which way you cut it. However, I think that anyone that buys or drives a Porsche while it's not under warranty is exposing themselves to a certain amount of risk, and they should know that. I don't know Dell, but I perceive him as sarcastic, but not arrogant. There has seemed to be a lot of negative posts about these cars, and I think the guy was just trying to have some fun.

Since 2006 seems to be the year of piling up on Dell, I'm thinking about starting a new game wherein someone starts a thread, says something silly (but masks it as true or sincere), and whoever gets the strongest reaction out of Dell wins. I'm just trying to figure out how to judge the contest and what the prize should be.
I don't think anybody has piled up on me. Also, I take NOTHING personally. You have to have thick skin to take some of the crap that is posted here.

As for getting the strongest reaction out of me......ain't gonna happen. As I have said before--I am done replying to the "Bob" type rants.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

At the risk of annoying Dell, I have followed the engine replacement threads and I am a bit disturbed by the number of failed engines. I am also watching a thread about transmissions failures. Transmission Failure

Has some of the legendary toughness been lost with the new designs? Having been on the list server for 15 years or more, I don't recall hearing about engine and transmission replacements before. The stories began with the Boxster and early 996 - improper casting of the engine case. Porsche replaced engines promptly - a good thing I thought since they had a supplier problem and acted quickly to correct it. Are those engines the ones which were rebuilt with sleeves? Sleeves which has shown a propensity to slip or fail?

This is very thought provoking if not statistically valid.

Rgds,
Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's it, you and me out behind the schoolhouse!

J/K no chance of annoying me Bob "not BobPorsche996" Rouleau
Old 02-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok Dell, you've called me out. I'll bring my six (sigma) shooter.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
racerjsz06
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Let me see. I have had my car for 5 1/2 years now. About 40,000 miles (wish I got to dirve it more).

No RMS, no leaks, no white smoke, no blow-ups, no disintegrations, no holes in the case, etc. etc. Basically no real problems. I guess by the measure of some of our fellow members (who shall remain nameless) my engine must be defective by "Porsche Standards" because it continues to runs without problems. Think PCA will give me a new engine so I can have some problems, the dealer doesn't seem to think I have a case. I'm tired of having nothing to compalin about. Oh well!

Watch out! I said the same thing 10K mi. ago and now I'm eating crow and paying close to $9K to get my car back on the read. Don't try to pretend there are no problems in fear it will hurt your cars value. There are real propblems, not with every car, not with most cars, but few too many based on my own personal basis. 1999 996 61K mi - Engine Toasted - Cyl # 2 failed.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement V