Engine Replacement V

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
>>>> It's never been driven hard and been babied since new.<<<<

While we don't have the appropriate sample size to back it up it's seeming more and more that babying these cars is not a good thing.

Yup..

Reminds me of when I had a WRX that I bought new. On the WRX message boards, it was disturbingly evident that everyone who complained about burning a quart of oil or more in between oil changes, followed the "drive like a grandma" break-in procedure.

Every single one of us that drove it like we stole it from day 1 didn't burn one ounce of oil between oil changes - none!

So many people think they are saving their engines by not using the rev range- but all they are doing is contributing to carbon deposits and other maladies which will eventually harm the engine and cause all sorts of issues. By not breaking the engine in and using the engine's full RPM band, the piston rings don't get sealed properly- and they will in fact NEVER get sealed if done improperly in only the first 100miles or so! This means burning/using oil, less power, lower life-span, and possible damaged cylinder walls and pistons.

Read and Heed: How to Break an Engine in PROPERLY

Last edited by ElTorrente; 02-16-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Here's a little excerpt from that article:

Q: What is the most common cause of engine problems ???
A: Failure to:
Warm the engine up completely before running it hard !!!

Q: What is the second most common cause of engine problems ???
A: An easy break in !!!

Because, when the rings don't seal well, the blow-by gasses contaminate the oil with acids and other harmful combustion by-products !!

Ironically, an "easy break in" is not at all what it seems. By trying to "protect" the engine, the exact opposite happens, as leaky rings continue to contaminate your engine oil for the rest of the life of your engine !!

Last edited by ElTorrente; 02-16-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

munro86,

nope not whymms son, i do know graig though.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:10 AM
munro86
Racer

Jet,

Where is your dad's workshop? I have a 996.

JASON
Old 02-16-2006, 08:15 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, every single manufacturer recommends some type of "go easy on your engine for the first xxx miles" break-in procedure. I think I'd rather follow what the engineers say than that motoman hack.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:18 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

jason pm sent
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

About that break-in, Porsche runs each and every engine on the dyno before installing. They do the engine break-in for you. Each and every engine is run and meets or exceeds specs (by 5%) according to the tour guide. I was touring the factory). I watched the process. I suspect the recommended break-in period on Porsches is for the rest of the drive line although I'm not sure.

This is a popular thread for the same reason people rubber-neck at accidents.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some blame all the failed engines on hard driving during break-in... others blame the failed engines on easy driving during break-in.. so what is it.. if one is going to criticize all these drivers at fault for having failed engnes at low miles.... make up your mind as to what they could be doing to cause these failures at 2k, 3k, 10k miles, etc.. for heavens sake.. <g>
Old 02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the years I have picked up four cars from the factory in Germany -- 2 BMWs and 2 Mercs. (Unfortunately, I didn't take delivery of my 996 in Germany since Porsche's European Delivery Program sucks and you have to pay a premium for it.)

Anyway, each of those times I asked the tech who was walking me through the car what the recommended break-in procedure is and can I drive it hard on the Autobahn. They always said -- contrary to the "low-RPM" advise on the manual -- that I can use pretty much the whole rev-range (just try not to redline it) as long as I vary the RPMs (i.e. don't drive for an extended period on a certain RPM by hitting cruise control, etc.) That advice seemed to work and I have had no major problems with any of my cars. (Knock on wood.)
Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob....I like to blame failed engines on auction purchased, multiple owner, unknown history, gotta at a steal, purchased at a Ford dealer, Porsche.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bob....I like to blame failed engines on auction purchased, multiple owner, unknown history, gotta at a steal, purchased at a Ford dealer, Porsche.
So a failed engine will result if:

A) You buy the car from someonone other than a porsche dealer (as auction cars were owned by people as well, and most all private lots buy from auctions)

B) How many people buy a used porsche knowing the history, CPO or not? 98%? ( i can't imagine many sellers talking about negative aspects of the car to potential buyers )

C) So one should overpay? Do you think a dealer charges less because they KNOW the engine is going to explode?

D) yes i'm common with the ford dealer joke, but it was never even driven. It was bought at an auction and arrived the same day I bought it. Just like buying it at any exotic used car dealership, as they would do the same. btw, the ford dealership also has a mercedes and bmw dealership.. i suppose that adds more to the quality of the porsche?

So in otherwards, 95% of purchases of 996s are prone to engine failure according to your logic.. because 95% of the purchasers fit into the criteria you specified.

how do you explain all the 02s i mentioned with people that bought it new that had their engine explode at a few thousand miles then? i suppose that has to do with the driving, wouldn't it? that's why i'm asking.. should you break it in hard, or soft...
Old 02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Back to your irrational, ranting mentality again Bob. And here I thought you had changed. Man you are jaded and clueless. I refuse to listen to your crap once again. Good luck getting a rise out of somebody else and responding.

ps. My response was DIRECTLY aimed at you and not anybody else so don't try gain an army by insinuating that I am grouping others into your corner.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
So a failed engine will result if:

B) How many people buy a used porsche knowing the history, CPO or not? 98%? ( i can't imagine many sellers talking about negative aspects of the car to potential buyers )
I did the work. I know every single thing a Porsche dealer ever did to the car, from day one. I even know the name of the previous owner, just in case something fish does goes down. I just did it out of a matter of caution. I looked at several cars that I couldn't get the info on, and I walked.

So, in the end, if they didn't do the work, then I really don't see how its anyone's fault but their own. Also, a PPI does not count as "doing the work".

I bought an Audi S4 from a Honda dealer once, and it was a disaster....
Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Bob, here's the way I see it (and I've said this before). Porsches are owned, for the most part, by enthusiasts. Most of these enthusiasts are of the street races mentality. They buy the car and the next phone call is to the tuner of choice who sells them a plug in ECU or something like it. Then they go out on the roads and beat the living crap out of the car. The engines are so good, they hold up to this onslaught of some basement engineer's mapping. Then a newer, faster model comes out and now they unbolt all their goodies and bring it back to the dealer who wants to sell them a car. The dealer decides to either sell the car or wholesale it off. You can imagine which cars they auction. Those are the cars with questionable histories, like an ECU download that shows some prior manipulation.

Now here you come into the dealer and buy this previously chipped and beat to crap car and wonder why the engine fails.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
tmonkey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mitch236
Now here you come into the dealer and buy this previously chipped and beat to crap car and wonder why the engine fails.
A porous block isn't from a chip from a previous owner - it's a manufacturing or design fault. I've known my car since the day it was new and nothing myself or the previous owner did could possibly require a new engine.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement V