996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement V

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Tool Pants, what's the red 993 on the lift in for? (I'm guessing it's not getting the engine replaced )
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing up Porsche's sleeve.

Porsche took defective engine blocks and bored out the cylinders. Pressed in sleeves. That is how you keep up with production. And never admit it happened.

The result. Catastrophic engine failure. Never happened. Must be the owner's fault.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

And speaking of cylinders. Sometimes just one cracks. Funny how it is always just one.

You drove it to hard. You did not drive it hard enough.

Darn. Bore it out. Put a sleeve in. That's what Porsche did after all.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:28 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just thought I would start a thread for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to post their BS they so believe in. No need to have supporting facts. No need to have proof. No need to have REAL data. No need to have..........well you get the picture. Just anybody with a bad taste in their mouth and just wants to preach their gospel.

Have at it all you Bob's........
Dell - you cannot be as pompous and errogant as you sound. This is really over the top, even for you.

BS we so belive in? Do you want me to fax you the $7200 in receipts I got this week for having my car repaired? Do you want Bob to fax you his $18K in receipts? What more proof are you looking for? Are you really that blind, or are you scared to admit that this happens? Maybe if it happens to you, you will believe it. I can't wait to read your posts then.

This thread is not constructive at all. Just more name-calling and bashing by the stats professor. I took your crappy class when I was in school, and thinking back to my professor, Dr. Wolmer, I can see why you are so out of touch with reality. No social graces, just "this is the way it is because I say so."

I have said before that I do not wish any bad will on anyone, but if I were to change my mind, you would be at the top of the list my friend.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:38 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey, what the heck. Dealer calls today to inform me that my wifes Boxster (second engine at 14k miles) has experienced an internal malfunction. Glad they diagnosed this one, because I had no idea since engine parts were literally pooring out the bottom while it was being loaded onto the flatbed. Dont enjoy the sounds of aluminum and steel hitting the steel bed of the tow truck..

New (reman, probably) engine is in stock in will be installed shortly. Wonder if Honda or Toyota stocks complete engines?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Have we talked about broken camshafts yet?

There are 4 on each car.

The first picture shows a broken camshaft. But only one of the 4 broke.

The second picture is another camshaft problem.

The funny thing is both of these 996s were in the shop the same day.

2 cars with the same problem in the shop the same day.

But Porsche did change the design.

I bet the owners use to drive Fords
Old 02-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

So what do we have here?

This was a new 986 2.7 with "zero miles" when I took the picture. Did not even have plates.

Porsches must leak or you are a bad owner.

For those that know this engine.

Also look at the 3 bolts for the intermediate shaft flange at the bottom of the pic and in the middle you see a hole. The end of the shaft has sheared off and that is why there is a hole. Guess what comes out of that hole. Texas tea. And very fast.

Now back to the usual rennlist stuff. But you are all wrong in my book for making fun of Bob. Plus I have a few thousand Porsche pictures I have collected over almost 7 years of Boxstering if you keep it up.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:02 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Doctor can show me pictures of his cancer patients, but he still can't convince me that everyone is doomed to get cancer, even if he has been taking pics of every patient he has ever saw.

I would think that if it's your job to fix engines that you probably see some broken engines . There's like a billion 996s out there so of course there is gonna be more of them failing.

Anway the fact remains that noone has any numbers, no data - just a few guys on a random message board who had bad experiences with their Porsche. Based on only the internet message boards, the VAST number of 996's are treating their owners right and serve as reliable daily drivers.

btw - I hope some of those carbon deposits in those pics were caused by the failure itself, and weren't there before hand.

Last edited by ElTorrente; 02-10-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM
munro86
Racer

Tool Pants you too suffer from Bob's blindness. Knowone is saying this won't happen. It is the PERCENTAGE of all cars made that are affected that is the crux of the argument. And I would put to you as I have put to Bob, ad nauseam, that overall percentage is VERY SMALL.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by munro86
Tool Pants you too suffer from Bob's blindness. Knowone is saying this won't happen. It is the PERCENTAGE of all cars made that are affected that is the crux of the argument. And I would put to you as I have put to Bob, ad nauseam, that overall percentage is VERY SMALL.
But how do you know that? And what constitutes very small? Man, I hate getting the Feds involved, but I don't think that it would be a bad idea if there was a requirement that each manufacturer was required to share critical repair data with the public. I believe the car buying public would like to know for example how many 996s had oil leaks and how many had their engines replaced.

As a person who is in the market for either a 996 or 997, I tend to agree that the incidence of engine and seal replacements is small, but these problems are nevertheless troubling. From an anecdotal perspective, I don't see threads on the forums of other high performance cars regarding engine replacements or RMS. Also as I posted earlier, I have come across a high percentage of used 996s with engine replacements in MD but my sample size is infinitesimal.

Although all of this anecdotal information hasn't turned me away from 996s, it certainly has made me a much more critical shopper.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

ouch that second picture doesn't look pretty.. broken intermediate shaft sounds much better than actually seeing it in pictures :>

toolpants: do you have a picture of a rod being thrown through the block? curious to compare..

joe: btw, i WISH my repair bill was only $18,000.. don't want to bring up the figure again to **** off the locals, but let's just say, i could have bought a nice new boxster "cash" with the repair costs in 1,100 miles of ownership..

ps: i love how everytime someone complains about their gripes tieh 996 engine issues ..it's automatically my fault, and my name comes up as the one to blame (after all, i am responsible for the creation of all 100,000+ 996s on the road silly).. i feel special...maybe give it a name, everytime you bring up engine failure... how does "bobitiis" sound?

Last edited by bobporsche996; 02-10-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Pardon my ignorance Tool Pants, but what does the intermediate shaft drive on these motors?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
woody-77
Racer

"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney King
Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by woody-77
"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney King
Wasn't he beaten with wooden sticks?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by riad
Wasn't he beaten with wooden sticks?
This is about the same thing I think

My brother used to live in Monroe, moved a few years ago, 160 Stage Rd, he ran for mayor up there....lost

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement V