Sponsored by:

Boxster Engine Failure Survey

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Boxster Engine Failure Survey

I'm crossposting this from another board. LorenS has dedicated his time and effort to finally gather statistically signficant information about Boxster engine failure modes.

Read on below:

As promised last week, and due to a significant amount of interest, I have created a "Boxster Failure Survey Form" for everyone to download. Instructions are on the form. I will be using the collected data to create a Statistical Failure Analysis for Boxsters. This efort will take me 3-4 months (weekends)depending upon the number or respondants.

Please note: It is very important that I get a significant number (hundreds) of responses. I want to hear from everyone, whether or not you have had a failure. I regularly read this board but not others, so if someone can provide a link for Babblers and any other forums, I would appreciate it. Deputies, can I please get a banner link to this form? It's in all our best interrests.

The collected data will be used to compile a database for present, previous, and future Porsche Boxster owners; and only pertaining to engine/transmission failures.

After I receive a significant number of responses, I will be correlating this data into a computer analysis matrix, looking for patterns, and attempting to create a statistically accurate “Boxster Failure Prediction Formula” for all of our use. All collected data will be made public upon completion of my work. The level of accuracy depends on the amount of responses and me and my computer finding correlation and patterns within the data.

I have no motives for this endeavor other that wanting some hard data on this long, ongoing PPBB discussion issue. I am not employed by PCNA, and have no association with anything related to the auto industry. Please get everyone you know who has had a Boxster to fill out a form.

To download: Turn off any download accellerators, click on the link, go to the bottom of the page, click on the free button, and click on the file to download.

Boxster Engine Failure Form
Old 04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have downloaded it on my other computer and will have it back to you shortly... and yes i agree, maybe this thread should be made 'sticky' or be posted as a link in this forum since it does or did affect alot of boxster owners..
Old 04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Gundo
Racer

Default Link to Failure Form.

See lower left of the page here for download.
Boxster Failure Form at PPBB
Gundo
Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

man, what timing, since mine just went this week!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of buying a '97 Boxster. Have any of the '97 engines failed due to defects?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Sean
Drifting

KY soldier, what happened to your car? Was it the rear main seal, or catastrophic engine failure?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I have a friend that just bought a 98 Boxster with a blown engine, he has ordered an engine from PartsHaven, and we should put it in next week. It took about 8-10 hours to get the blown one out. Probably double that to get the new one back in. (This is the first Boxster we have worked on) We are not sure what happened, but the exhaust system had about one gallon of antifreeze in it.

One thing I would like to ask, are there any high millege Boxsters out there. Mine has 92,000 miles on it with no problems. The one my friend got, with the blown engine, has just over 130,000. The only other 130k plus millege had a blown engine also.

Bill Seifert

1998 Boxster

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Gundo

I tried to download the survey with no luck. Just out of curiosity, why is it so difficult. IMHO you would get better response if it were easier to download. I really want to fill it out, but it is impossible.

Sorry

Bill Seifert

1998 Boxster
Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Sean
Drifting

Bill, Gundo's post was made last April. The download has probably expired.

On PPBB there are several Boxsters in the 100k+ range.

If there's any kind of determinative factor that helps predict when an engine's going to fail, I haven't heard of it. For that matter, I never saw the results of the survey...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Sean

Thanks, I wondered why I couldn't download it. This is the first time I have been on the Boxster list in almost a year. I'll probably go over 100k this year, and so far no problems. Not even an oil drip in the garage. The failures I have seen so far,(2) have been about 130k, and they appear to be cylinder failures, because both have leaked anti freeze into the exhaust. They can't be torn down because they are used as cores, so they have been sent to the engine suppliers. I've heard of the failures because of the bad blocks, but I hear they are limited to the '99 model year, and I have yet to know of one first hand. I had a friend from B'ham that had one of those bad blocks, but his was on a '99 996. We checked with Brumos about a factory rebuilt, and they are $5,800 exchange, not including labor. I would have gone that way, but my friend bought a used 98 engine from PartsHaven for $3,500 exchange + shipping, and it has 33,000 miles.

I can't see the picture too well that accompanies you postings, but is that you in your 550 Spyder? I've always wanted one of those. Did you build it, or buy it complete?

Thanks

Bill
Old 02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Sean
Drifting

Bill, I think I know your friend with the failed '99 engine in his 996. Seems like Porsche took care of him with a replacement.

I've heard that this was a major problem in '99...but I have a friend with a low-mileage 2001 986 who suffered a catastrophic engine failure (also replaced under warranty).

Something tells me that if you're nearing 100k miles with no trouble, you got a "good" engine. On PPBB one fellow has 150k miles without complaint.

My personal policy is to let the engine oil temp warm up before exceeding 4k RPMs. I don't know if it helps...but it doesn't hurt!

Yep, that's my Spyder. It was built by Vintage Spyders, an alternative to Beck (with arguably higher build quality). You can get more info at vintagespyders.com. Spyderclub.com is a good resource. I've posted some pics in the 356 forum.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Sean

Yeah, it's Dean Mathews. I haven't seen him in 5 years or so. We used to race 944's together. He usually beat me. Actually, the only time I beat him was when he was under weight at impound, and they moved him back one place. One time at Sebring, he was underweight before the race, and he bolted a small car jack in the well in the back of his car. Dean's a cool guy.]

Thanks for info on the Spyder,

Bill
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
vandereydt
Track Day

Hi Bill,
You asked about high mileage Boxsters,
well I have a 1997 Boxster 2.5 and have covered +350.000 km
no major problems, changed the fuel pump, the alternator and the variable camshafts and thats it.
No hassle just lots of fun. I still get the car up to its max speed whenever I need to visit Germany.

So far I have visited the Boxanet, Pistonhead and the Rennlist but I have not yet come across a Boxster with a higher mileage, have you ?? Anybody ??

Regards
Ronny
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Gundo
Racer

Haven't been here in a long while and just realized my sticky is still up.

Your best bet is to go to renntech.org and email Loren directly.

He is the dude running the survey, but I'm not sure if he is still accepting submissions.

Gundo
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
dzombek
Racer

The results, no matter what form would be helpful

Mike M

Quick Reply: Boxster Engine Failure Survey