I have an 01 GT3 in Biarritz White…

The following users liked this post:
jandackson (05-05-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:48 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam-Son
Any specs on the 3.8 build? Any idea what kinda power it makes?
Was a stock rebuild but used larger JE Pistons with LN Engineering Nickies. These are the only pics I have from the PO regarding that part. The only other modification on the motor is an IPD plenum. I plan to add a BMC Filter, the cool intake hose which makes more noise.... and then something with exhaust. I have muffler deletes, but not sure I want to install them

I will be dynoing the car soon to see what she makes
plpete84 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Curious to hear what kind of power it makes!

I was tempted by muffler deletes but they are LOUD. For my stock 3.4 I don't want it to sound faster than it is
Old 05-04-2023, 08:14 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam-Son
Curious to hear what kind of power it makes!

I was tempted by muffler deletes but they are LOUD. For my stock 3.4 I don't want it to sound faster than it is
Yeah, I’m not sure I’ll ever run them. I have an idea floating around my brain, but for now there are other fish to fry.

one of those is revolving the interior. I had planned to remove the rear seats and with the new baby seat arriving combined with a day off from work I got uninterrupted garage time. Had the rear seats removed in under 10 minutes, it’s hilariously simple.

Then it was time to install the rear seat, I liked this one of the current crop of seats that seem to work in the 996.

It wasn’t sitting as deep or tight as I wanted, likely because the seats were gone, so I took this little chunk out which didn’t affect anything on the seat but really let the seat sit deeper and back up against the rear panel

I was hoping to see the perforation in the carpet that I saw mentioned because I really want to use the top tether, but worried this is just one more of the differences of the 99 vs the later 996s. Took this hoping someone sees what I didn’t.

A later change will be this 997 shifter that was gifted to me. I LOVED the Numeric shifter in the Targa I drove, which is where this came from. Seems like the choice between the two is a personal preference so I’ll try this and see if it’s good enough

Last edited by 2mAn; 05-04-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
-Sunday was the monthly Los Angeles Cars & Coffee. My kiddo was awake early so I took her with me. She got to see cars, some random person saw her and gave her a Hot Wheels of the OG Batmobile
This past sunday was crazy busy. I left just before the Carrera GT showed up, did you see it?
Old 05-04-2023, 11:02 PM
996_aero
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks really fun, congrats to you! Also a fan of the ducktail and white is a rare color.

If you’re in LA you know it’s a PITA to drive a really low car. My 99 was very low when I bought it and I spent about $600 at Callas Rennsport down in Torrance to raise it to the “Euro Low” height which is basically what the .1 GT3 came with out of the factory. Also corner balanced it with me in the car to set it to my exact spec.

Made a huge difference in the daily drivability of the car in LA. May be worth considering if you’re struggling with how low it is.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:03 PM
996_aero
Track Day

Originally Posted by 996_aero
Looks really fun, congrats to you! Also a fan of the ducktail and white is a rare color.

If you’re in LA you know it’s a PITA to drive a really low car. My 99 was very low when I bought it and I spent about $600 at Callas Rennsport down in Torrance to raise it to the “Euro Low” height which is basically what the .1 GT3 came with out of the factory. Also corner balanced it with me in the car to set it to my exact spec.

Made a huge difference in the daily drivability of the car in LA. May be worth considering if you’re struggling with how low it is.
And FWIW, my car is an aerokit car so the front bumper and sideskirts hang a bit lower than stock to begin with.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

What shocks did you go with, assume not stock if you corner balanced..?
Old 05-05-2023, 01:43 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
This past sunday was crazy busy. I left just before the Carrera GT showed up, did you see it?
I got there at 7:45 and the upper area was already full... I even had asked my friend to save me a spot but he still let someone take the spot...

Was yours the gray 996? There was one that pulled in not too far behind me. Didnt see the owner

As for the suspension, I think its just the low-quality Godspeed coilovers that are the problem. Im taking the car to the Targa805 rally this weekend so I will make adjustments to the "40-way" adjustable coilovers and see if that helps with the rebound at all. I'll likely be replacing these but not until after I do a few other suspension related changes first.

Cant wait to get my Recaros installed though, parts should arrive in the next week and I will get started. I think I might have an issue with the seat belt buckle. I knew the BK rails didnt have the provision, but saw that there are special Recaro sliders that have the provision and Im not sure mine are the "special" Recaro sliders. I also think $100+ for the bracket from BK is stupid. I will visit Home Depot Racing if I have to but I might have a solution already... if it comes to that.

Excited for this weekend! Should be adding another 500+ miles this weekend. Might hit 101k by the time I get home
plpete84 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 01:47 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,833 Likes on 927 Posts

That's what I like to see! Enjoy the rally and take plenty photos. These cars are all about the driving experience.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:16 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Originally Posted by 2mAn
I got there at 7:45 and the upper area was already full... I even had asked my friend to save me a spot but he still let someone take the spot...

Was yours the gray 996? There was one that pulled in not too far behind me. Didnt see the owner
No, I went in my friends 72 Orange corvette parked on the back rail. We got there at 7am, and it was partially full. In about 10 mins it was packed. There were a couple VW guys blocking spaces for their "friends". They were getting in peoples faces who were trying to park there. They held the spots for 40 mins, and eventually one of the guys parked his beetle diagonally to keep the second spot. Those guys were total jerks and gives the whole scene a bad vibe.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:20 PM
996_aero
Track Day

What shocks did you go with, assume not stock if you corner balanced..?
Bilstein PSS10
2mAn (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:26 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

No, I went in my friends 72 Orange corvette parked on the back rail. We got there at 7am, and it was partially full. In about 10 mins it was packed. There were a couple VW guys blocking spaces for their "friends". They were getting in peoples faces who were trying to park there. They held the spots for 40 mins, and eventually one of the guys parked his beetle diagonally to keep the second spot. Those guys were total jerks and gives the whole scene a bad vibe.
Yea it was a Beetle that took the spot that was supposed to be saved for me too...
Old 05-05-2023, 03:28 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Bilstein PSS10
The Bilsteins werent on my radar, I have Ohlins & KWs as the go-to, not sure why I've ignored the Bilsteins. I know the Factory 996-GT3 coilovers are Bilsteins.

How many miles do you have on your and how would you rate it?
Old 05-05-2023, 05:48 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase of your beautiful 996. I love the ducktail and the graphics. I am also a fellow Alfa fan...I had four GTVs over the years.
I have the PSS9s on my 99 996. I have had them for over 30k miles and almost 20 years. I can't say enough good things about them. My three kids grew up riding in the back of our 996. Getting to have them join you on car adventures is priceless.
2mAn (05-05-2023)

Quick Reply: The White Whale: my first Porsche