996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hazard Trim Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

OK, now the silly question, does the hazard trim piece just pop out (something small to pry it) or does it require pulling apart dash??
Old 03-09-2022, 09:14 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
OK, now the silly question, does the hazard trim piece just pop out (something small to pry it) or does it require pulling apart dash??
Good question. ​​​​​​It takes less than a minute to make the swap. Step 1: Turn on the flashers. This reveals cutouts on the left and right sides of the switch button. Step 2: use a small screwdriver to pop off the hazard switch. Step 3: pry out the hazard trim (using standard trim removal tools or a larger screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape.

I'll add a video of the swap when I get back home.
The following users liked this post:
Flyfishnick (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 01:57 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by yaz996
Good question. ​​​​​​It takes less than a minute to make the swap. Step 1: Turn on the flashers. This reveals cutouts on the left and right sides of the switch button. Step 2: use a small screwdriver to pop off the hazard switch. Step 3: pry out the hazard trim (using standard trim removal tools or a larger screwdriver with the tip covered in electrical tape.

I'll add a video of the swap when I get back home.
Thanks!!!! I look forward to it. Some things I can just make a real mess of, lol and I'd hate to go sideways on something this easy, hahhahahahahahaa (trust me, I can screw things up real good).
Old 03-10-2022, 01:51 PM
jslev04
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This is awesome! Definitely in for a Ram "B" sized (1") ball mount version!

Last edited by jslev04; 03-10-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:26 AM
GmundtotheWorld
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I would like one in the quad mount, with the cord pass through, or one with a convertible quad/ram ball. Brilliant idea. Bravo.
Thanks much.

Von
Old 03-12-2022, 12:16 PM
escreation
Advanced

Received 184 Likes on 31 Posts

nice design, I am in
Old 03-12-2022, 06:57 PM
tj007m
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea!
Count me in for a couple.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:11 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

In for a black ball mount when available.

I learned all about magsafe accessories this afternoon and going all in with my new iphone.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:28 PM
driverx
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
then im in like flyn.
Very strong second here! Would love an aim solo II mounting option!
Old 03-27-2022, 11:03 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received some magsafe mounts to test this week. The ESR and Rennline products both need a 17mm ball mount. ESR definitely has the stronger magnets. Rennline is more compact. Both seem like solid options. The Spiegel mount has the USB-C plug on the backside so it potentially could have been an even cleaner look. It uses a 15mm ball mount (no issue adding another version), but unfortunately doesn't offer a way to tighten by hand. Just from some in-kitchen vibration testing I can see the phone tilting down during normal driving conditions with that mount. Going make a couple design tweaks this week, and I'll try to have a cable routed thru the dash next test fitment.

Clockwise from bottom: ESR, Rennline, and Spiegel

Rennline mounted

ESR mounted
The following 4 users liked this post by yaz996:
Coussa (03-30-2022), golock911 (03-28-2022), Owain (03-28-2022), sweet victory (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

I bought the ESR windshield mounted one ~2 weeks ago. It apparently is the strongest magnet currently available. That being said, it certainly seems bulky for the 996 and the blue charging light is not as discrete as I'd like it to be in the 996 interior. Love having it in my Tahoe though.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:23 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Received some magsafe mounts to test this week. The ESR and Rennline products both need a 17mm ball mount. ESR definitely has the stronger magnets. Rennline is more compact. Both seem like solid options. The Spiegel mount has the USB-C plug on the backside so it potentially could have been an even cleaner look. It uses a 15mm ball mount (no issue adding another version), but unfortunately doesn't offer a way to tighten by hand. Just from some in-kitchen vibration testing I can see the phone tilting down during normal driving conditions with that mount. Going make a couple design tweaks this week, and I'll try to have a cable routed thru the dash next test fitment.

Clockwise from bottom: ESR, Rennline, and Spiegel

Rennline mounted

ESR mounted
Does the Rennline one stick out far enough for the phone to clear the vents when mounted in portrait?

This is a fantastic idea, well done.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:04 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I bought the ESR windshield mounted one ~2 weeks ago. It apparently is the strongest magnet currently available. That being said, it certainly seems bulky for the 996 and the blue charging light is not as discrete as I'd like it to be in the 996 interior. Love having it in my Tahoe though.
Yeah the ESR is ridiculously strong. I was using the adhesive metal ring included with the Rennline Kit to make my Pixel 6 compatible, and had to add a layer a tape over the back of my phone to keep the ring attached to the phone. Planning to get a thick case to use with a buddy's iPhone for another test, and I have a magsafe case for my Pixel from Moment on backorder. If I ultimately make the switch to magsafe, the ESR will be going in my 4Runner.

Originally Posted by Owain
Does the Rennline one stick out far enough for the phone to clear the vents when mounted in portrait?

This is a fantastic idea, well done.
Thanks. Both the Rennline and ESR clear the vents in portrait mode. Actually thought about going a few mms tighter to the dash, but that would have made it more difficult for getting fingers behind it when tightening everything up.
The following 2 users liked this post by yaz996:
Owain (03-28-2022), sweet victory (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:47 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the ESR is ridiculously strong. I was using the adhesive metal ring included with the Rennline Kit to make my Pixel 6 compatible, and had to add a layer a tape over the back of my phone to keep the ring attached to the phone. Planning to get a thick case to use with a buddy's iPhone for another test, and I have a magsafe case for my Pixel from Moment on backorder. If I ultimately make the switch to magsafe, the ESR will be going in my 4Runner.
Out of curiosity, have you tried the apple mag safe charger? I would assume the OEM would have the "best" retention. RAM mount offers this; they didn't try to compete with a charger, so maybe Apple is the best? https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-202-AP-MAGU

Another observation I noted with a coworker. My 12 pro "sticks" a lot better to the ESR than his 13 pro. We're both using an apple mag safe leather case; tried with and without the case. Not sure if this difference is noticeable between phone models vs phone to phone.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:41 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Out of curiosity, have you tried the apple mag safe charger? I would assume the OEM would have the "best" retention. RAM mount offers this; they didn't try to compete with a charger, so maybe Apple is the best? https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-202-AP-MAGU

Another observation I noted with a coworker. My 12 pro "sticks" a lot better to the ESR than his 13 pro. We're both using an apple mag safe leather case; tried with and without the case. Not sure if this difference is noticeable between phone models vs phone to phone.
Yeah, I've been working on a B mount version. Was actually trying to integrate a ball receptacle (i.e. half of the short arm) into the hazard trim, but that has been a challenge. Just ordered an Apple magsafe charger and a couple RAM products.

Quick Reply: Hazard Trim Phone Mount