996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:05 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

I think it’s just luck of the draw. We had a Labrador retriever (of all breeds) that ate like a cat. In fact, our cats would elbow her out of the way to eat her kibble. But she was always lean which probably contributed to her long healthy life (almost made it to 17).

Our current dog, a Westie, also is a reluctant eater. In fact we have to put him in his crate with his meal. This may be an ADHD thing…there are so many more interesting things to do than eat kibble.

That said, he’s a maniac for handouts and treats…how about yours?

BTW I love your attitude towards training. Yes, the dog has to know who is boss, but 99% of the time it should be about joyful compliance.

We discovered in the pandemic that being left home alone all day was seriously negatively affecting our dog’s physical health. So now we bring him to work. Brodie delights everyone with his cheerful antics and is unfailingly friendly. I stash him in my office behind a baby gate and he is quiet as a church mouse (most of the time). He’s definitely living his best life.

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8118.MOV (2.32 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by Boff; 03-15-2022 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (03-16-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 11:31 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

My parents dog who is an 8 year old standard poodle, also does the same thing, but she has digestive issues and throws up a lot, likely because of damage caused by eating things as a puppy and needing 2 emergency stomach surgeries.

My girlfriend's dog who is a heeler mix does this too. She also has some digestive issues, but we don't know the cause.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:23 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,739 Likes on 2,143 Posts
Default NCAA Tournament

Any college basketball fans out there?

Whose your favorites to get to the final 4?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:41 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

So maybe my dogs haven't been all that odd. Luke does like treats, but I wouldn't say he is obsessed with treats. He will chase a toy as much if not more that deciding to get a treat. Boff you are lucky taking your dog to work. I occasionally will take Luke to the office, or at least did pre-pandemic. I did appreciate that there were some people that were very uncomfortable around dogs, although that was just entering and exiting the building. Our campus is about 700 staff. My area is sealed off from the rest of the building and only my group has access. They prefer Luke at the office lol.

The first pic is my favourite. He stands a little over 5 feet. That's at the backdoor of the cottage and he is ensuring we are safe from the chipmunks. The other pic was just a couple days ago at the cottage. Took that pic because he looks like one of those cement dog statues you put at the end of his driveway. And my wife says she will divorce me if I ever give him the pooffy poodle cut, which I want to do just once.

The following users liked this post:
Type65 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:24 AM
Boff
Racer

The right to bring our dogs to our offices (within reasonable limits) is in fact enshrined in our faculty collective agreement! (Not so for staff, though, which has raised some hackles).

Most dogs on campus are retrievers or retriever/poodle hybrids, and many have been brought here from puppyhood. I’ve not heard of any problems, so I reckon that people have a good handle on what is and what is not suitable for their dog.

I was going to say the all over clip is great for poodles, because it doesn’t obscure their heritage as a field dog behind a pampered pooch hairdo.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:58 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boff
The right to bring our dogs to our offices (within reasonable limits) is in fact enshrined in our faculty collective agreement! (Not so for staff, though, which has raised some hackles).
I'm in Canada and we don't have very liberal laws when it comes to dogs. Certainly assistance dogs are allowed everywhere, not so much for regular dogs. Besides pet stores, very limited retailers allow you to bring in dogs, unless they are purse dogs. Dogs are not even permitted on outdoor patios. We have had the occasion to be travelling and stopped for lunch. We had our dog on the outside of the patio and would sneak him a french fry. Oh, patios here need to be fenced if alcohol is served - draconian laws argh.

Unless I need to go somewhere after work, I stopped brining my dog as just the walk from the car to my area, I upset a number of people just walking into the building. I don't feel I have a right to do that. At the end of the day, it is a workplace and there is no real need for my dog to be there, as much as I would love him to be there with me. If my dog were an assistance dog, I would expect tolerance, but not for a pet.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:59 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Vegas baby.

Wife had a business trip to Vegas so the son and I decided to tag along and spend a couple of extra days there, I started drinking by the get go, wife was driving Darth Vader (Mercedes triple black suv) to the airport. So I loaded my artic mug with old gran dad 100 and Coke Zero to control the calories. Wife flew direct we took a two leg AA flight. Got a 1.5 hour delay in Dallas, cool no problem we hit Fridays cheaper to drink in Dallas than in Vegas. This morning coffee, which I don’t drink, but wild Turkey 101 and Coke Zero will put a little caffeine in my system. Let the drunks continue. When you are ok financially and there are no set obligations like a job because you are retired, life can be a hell of a lot of fun every minute.

There’s no coffee in there.

Lunch for my son, a few tequila shots and IPAs for me (liquid lunch)

My son loves Fridays and they closed the one by the house so we hit this one yesterday on a 3 hour lay over at DFW.

I don’t drink coffee that’s for my wife, almost $8 for a latte. Wise decision on my part to buy a $31 bottle of Turkey 101 to get my day going.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:58 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
I'm in Canada and we don't have very liberal laws when it comes to dogs. Certainly assistance dogs are allowed everywhere, not so much for regular dogs. Besides pet stores, very limited retailers allow you to bring in dogs, unless they are purse dogs. Dogs are not even permitted on outdoor patios. We have had the occasion to be travelling and stopped for lunch. We had our dog on the outside of the patio and would sneak him a french fry. Oh, patios here need to be fenced if alcohol is served - draconian laws argh.

Unless I need to go somewhere after work, I stopped brining my dog as just the walk from the car to my area, I upset a number of people just walking into the building. I don't feel I have a right to do that. At the end of the day, it is a workplace and there is no real need for my dog to be there, as much as I would love him to be there with me. If my dog were an assistance dog, I would expect tolerance, but not for a pet.
Rules are the same here in the US. He was saying that he has the right from his company, not the government. Although, most places have gotten a lot more pet friendly in the last several years. Like it used to be dogs weren't allowed on patios, now a lot of places have chosen to allow them, but not everywhere. Also, most hardware stores allow dogs now. Increasingly more work places have been allowing them too. The liquor needing a fence is true in a lot of places here as well, but that all depends on the state and city. Like in parts of New Orleans and Vegas there are no open container laws and you can walk down the street drinking.

I love poodles and it sounds like you've got yourself a great one!
Old 03-16-2022, 02:47 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I don’t drink coffee that’s for my wife, almost $8 for a latte. Wise decision on my part to buy a $31 bottle of Turkey 101 to get my day going.
wowza, that's some coffee substitute to start the day. Dare I ask what your nightcap looks like?
Old 03-16-2022, 06:54 PM
Boff
Racer

I’m just down the 401 from you.

Brodie is only 30 pounds and looks more like a cartoon dog than a real dog. Everyone who sees him can’t help but smile, although some I am sure are not keen on dogs. One of my staff calls him our CHO (Chief Happiness Officer).

Old 03-16-2022, 06:59 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,807 Likes on 996 Posts

My favorite DAWG... just saying.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-16-2022 at 07:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
GC996 (03-16-2022), Lady Silver (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:11 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

My boy Toby growing up on the water
Dogs are essential to our lives. We have Toby plus 2 female Standard Dachshunds now. Makes for a crowded king size bed.....
Old 03-16-2022, 07:21 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

My boy loves the bowrider and the fishing boat. Take the cover off the boat and he is in waiting to go. Comes fishing with me too.

Boff, where are you? 401 Kipling or 401 Winston Chirchill?
The following 2 users liked this post by steam_mill:
Boff (03-16-2022), Lady Silver (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:25 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 566 Posts

When you guys are in Vegas PM me. I put Henderson in my profile because I'm a trueblood but Vegas is 20 minutes away.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:34 PM
Boff
Racer

My boy loves the bowrider and the fishing boat. Take the cover off the boat and he is in waiting to go. Comes fishing with me too.

Boff, where are you? 401 Kipling or 401 Winston Chirchill?
London!

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***