996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 06:51 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Nice! My dad, who got me into the sport and gave me the Klein, is a Trek devotee. He is the guy I ride with the most but I am 90% of the time solo.

Answer to your Q - No I have a very basic speed/distance display right now from CatEye.

I live mere yards from some great paved trails so I don't find myself getting lost very often
Old 03-31-2022, 07:23 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
What do you want to chat about Lady S?

I keep breaking parts off / ordering the wrong size parts for my bike; so I haven't taken a picture of it.

Also I have downloaded Strava (Step 1!) But I keep forgetting to turn it on when I ride. I'm going to try to set a reminder tomorrow morning. IF I find a cool photo op I'll just take a picture of my road warrior in its current glory as well.
Cars mostly. And subjects associated with cars. Food, drinks, parties, all good. Anything non technical about cars. Technical stuff goes over in the mainstream.
I would say anything gentlemen want to discuss associated with cars is good. Emphasis on gentlemen.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:53 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default The dark knight, awesome burgers, gas prices

Another awesome day. Took the dog out and went with the family to craft burger 🍔. Pretty good, happy hour $3 IPAs, 2 for one shakes. The owner who was also the chef super cool 😎 guy, outside area pet friendly. Look how affordable shell v power is, i filled the car up today. Now since I can’t give a rat *** about gas prices I almost have a deal done on a cayenne GTS. Black on black. So since the mercedes is darth Vader the cayenne is going to be the dark knight.

Almost have a deal worked on it.

Interior looks pretty good.

$3 craft draft on happy hour has my name written all over it.

Burgers, chicken some bd as? Milkshakes,

Small almost like neighborhood friendly place where they know you by your name.

The shakes where a hit, one was creme brûlée Oreo, the other One bananas foster. Guess what I was drinking???

$4.24 a gallon with my T-Mobile discount for shell v power 93, that’s a bargain.

My copilot was worried about triple digits.

She likes to go out to eat, always she gets some treats.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:12 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Cars mostly.
Ok so I'm coming up on replacing my DD. I am in a place where I'd like to get an SUV because it will fit my lifestyle very well. (I'm always borrowing my dad's...) I can spend $40-45,000. My list of requirements are; something comfortable, spacious, off-road capable, reliable long term as I will own the car 10 years minimum. MPG can be whatever.

Talk me out of a Lexus GX460.

Originally Posted by plpete84
BTW, here is my do everything bike with the deeper wheels on just for ****s and giggles. Rides great but I usually use this one for gravel riding.

Here is the Strangebike® - also my do everything (only) bike.

Rode it this morning!

The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 07:40 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Ok so I'm coming up on replacing my DD. I am in a place where I'd like to get an SUV because it will fit my lifestyle very well. (I'm always borrowing my dad's...) I can spend $40-45,000. My list of requirements are; something comfortable, spacious, off-road capable, reliable long term as I will own the car 10 years minimum. MPG can be whatever.

Well, I have a Jeep GC that will probably do anything the Lexus can do for half the price, or less. I have owned it for 10 years, 68,000 miles, no problems at all.
Good truck.
For what it's worth.
Dr_Strangelove (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 08:19 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

You're person #2 to tell me to check out a Jeep GC. The only thing is I will probably do a bit more than 2x your milage in 10 years.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:28 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default F150 Super crew

You're person #2 to tell me to check out a Jeep GC. The only thing is I will probably do a bit more than 2x your milage in 10 years.
I’m on my third one my brother is on his 5. I don’t need 4x4 but that’s an option. If you get the sport package with 20 inch wheels the Michelin’s LTX
if you rotate them can last you 80,000 miles. The stx package is good. No issues driving the family on the highway at 110. If you dont tow or haul much stay with the 2.7
eco boost. I’m not trading her in, I maybe substitutive it for a 2014 cayenne GTS.

Velocity blue is the color. If not 4x4 probably less than $35k.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

If you aren't looking to tow much and just want the storage capacity of an SUV then the Lexus isn't a bad choice. However, if you are looking to tow with it I'd look for something bigger. I am not a GM fan, but if you are looking for something to do a lot of towing the Suburban/Escalade, is typical the best choice. Although, I have heard good things about the Toyota Sequoia, too. If you are willing to go older the Ford Excursions with the 7.3L diesels are fantastic and tend to be a real affordable way to get a 7.3L PowerStroke. A lot of them also came with the leather Eddie Bauer interior which is quite nice/comfortable. An Excursion will also by far give you the most interior cargo space of any standard SUV.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:49 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Back to grub.

Washing the car for tomorrow’s car and coffee, but then we are going to my mechanics to drop a friend 99 aero
for a bunch of work. Anyway my wife is keeping lent, no meat on Fridays. Today Korean shrimp fried rice, with soy, garlic, and spice. Enjoy.

16-20 Texas fresh shrimp, cut up a bit.

Came out pretty good, next time I need water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
Lady Silver (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 06:31 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

I also have a 2004 Grand Cherokee that runs strong with the straight six at 154,000 miles but it is prone to nagging little problems such as weeping rear main seal, lights burn out in the cabin mysteriously, rust spots on the body. Stuff like that but it is our foul weather (snow) car and the straight six purrs.
Both Jeeps serviced by the dealer and he provides excellent service at competitive prices.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:55 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 649 Posts

Honda Ridgeline or Pilot. Less cost up front, holds value like a Lexus. Ridgeline gets you a truck bed and a bunch of clever features.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:12 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,030 Likes on 940 Posts

Here is the Strangebike® - also my do everything (only) bike.

Rode it this morning!

I worked for Lexus and Toyota for 8yrs and barring fuel economy, the GX has been secretly(not so much lately) one of the most capable and comfortable true SUVs on the market. The third row is kinda a joke and if I didn’t drive so much, I’d own one. My garage barely has enough room for my VW Touareg and Porsche.

With that said, I love my VW and it’s diesel. I averaged about 30mpg on a trip from Miami to Tallahassee, they’re very capable as an overland set up and tow 8000lbs… AWD is standard.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:01 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Food and booze

Happy Sunday everyone, I already made breakfast for the family and dinner menu is set. Needles to say it’s Sunday, which honestly doesn’t make a difference for me I’m already on the Juice.

IPAs. Currently in my arsenal. The thing about Juicy hazy IPAs is that they are a lot like females. You don’t know what you are going to get until you opened them up and take a sip.

I’m like a gas station different octanes. Start with new Belgium Juicy Hazy IPa At 7.5 abv, then you move the needle to the shinner product juicy hazy with cactus juice a Texas, maybe New Mexico, Arizona, California thing at 8 abv. Finally Juice Power from New Belgium 9.5 ABV, this is a double ipa rocket fuel.

Dinner tonight with garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes and salad. Nolan Ryan Prime 34 strip steaks available exclusively at Kroger.

Breakfast was papas,(O’Brien potatoes), then the meat component Kielbasa chorizo, HEB chicken Jalapeño cheddar sausage. Add scramble eggs, fresh made flour tortillas and off course Tito’s hand made vodka Bloody Marie’s or vodka with orange 🍊 juice I needed my vitamin C so I went for the orange juice.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 04-03-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I’m on my third one my brother is on his 5. I don’t need 4x4 but that’s an option.
A pickup truck certainly crosses my mind every now and then, however, it seems I'm going to have to get an entry model unless I increase my budget. Used pickup values have me kind of scared off at the moment. Thanks for the recco!

Originally Posted by Type65
If you aren't looking to tow much and just want the storage capacity of an SUV then the Lexus isn't a bad choice. However, if you are looking to tow with it I'd look for something bigger. I am not a GM fan, but if you are looking for something to do a lot of towing the Suburban/Escalade, is typical the best choice. Although, I have heard good things about the Toyota Sequoia, too.
At the moment I'm not but as my boy grows I'm not sure where life will take us. I can't see myself towing anything more substantial than a Porsche behind me, however, and I feel the GX is up to the task? I have no clue hence the question mark.

Originally Posted by wdb
Honda Ridgeline or Pilot. Less cost up front, holds value like a Lexus. Ridgeline gets you a truck bed and a bunch of clever features.
I do like the Pilot but I worry about 4x4 capability. See my comment below, please...

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I worked for Lexus and Toyota for 8yrs and barring fuel economy, the GX has been secretly(not so much lately) one of the most capable and comfortable true SUVs on the market.
That's what I've been reading / learning. As I started talking about them I came to find out that my business partner's cousin has one that is highly modified for off-road and so I've politely requested a ride-along upon his next visit to NV. The funny thing is I know that most people (correctly) believe that most of these SUV's will not see desert rocks. There are 3 off-road trailheads leading out of my neighborhood and into the Mojave as I'm fortunate to be at the permanent outskirts of town. (Power company owns the land behind our house.) Suffice it to say I have big plans to see some dirt and rocks - whatever I end up with. Now that I'm looking I see a LOT of older GX's heading out on the trails.

Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 04-04-2022 at 04:06 PM.
wdb (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

At the moment I'm not but as my boy grows I'm not sure where life will take us. I can't see myself towing anything more substantial than a Porsche behind me, however, and I feel the GX is up to the task? I have no clue hence the question mark.
Yeah, hauling a Porsche shouldn't be a problem. A 996 loaded on an open car hauler would probably be around 5,500lb depending on the specific trailer and car. You'd want to step up when you start looking at enclosed trailers/heavy cars, horse trailers, or what I figured would be more likely large camper trailers. Something to keep in mind is that if you plan to tow a lot on big trips even if you aren't exceeding your towing capacity a larger vehicle would likely be more pleasant to drive. For example, I had an old 80s Toyota pickup that could tow my jetskis and utility trailer just fine and a Nissan Frontier that could tow small cars fine, but my F250 could do it way better. You could tell that the smaller trucks were having to work much harder than the 3/4 ton.
Dr_Strangelove (04-04-2022)

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***