996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022 | 04:14 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Ironic because M97 is more prone to bore scoring than M96, and the 3.8L exponentially so

Yet prices don't reflect that reality at all

Yet
The 9A1 DFI engine is a bore scoring palace as well. Anybody that ventures over into 997 land on Rennlist will see that the PDK has folks on eggshells now, too. At least we know we only need to guard our rear end.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
bdronsick (01-27-2022), GC996 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 04:34 PM
Type65
Racer

Originally Posted by Billup
I don't think prospective buyers of 996's think about as many details as you guys want to believe. Sure some will know about IMSB and bore scoring to a degree, but other than that, I'm sure it's based on what fits the general bill. Mileage, color, transmission, maintenance, etc.

They don't find out the rest unless they wander onto Rennlist.
Originally Posted by Ed66
Bingo! I didn't have any idea how much I had to worry about until I bookmarked this site. I've been amazed my 996.2 CS4 hasn't fallen apart and required thousands of dollars of work
I have to agree with these observations. I have only ever met two types of 996 owners in person:

1: Those that bought the car when it was the current generation and most of these owners cared/know very little about anything beyond it's a sports car/Porsche
2. Those that bought it on a whim because they are cheap or inherited them and these owners also seemed to care very little about anything beyond it's a Porsche/performance car/status symbol they could afford.

Obviously this doesn't even come close to describing all 996 owners, and I would argue that most, if not all of us, just by virtue of being on this board actually have a true appreciation for these cars and would fall into other categories. However, in my anecdotal experience most buyers and owners don't share our appreciation for these fantastic cars, and as such don't know or care about all the little things we do. I'm sure most don't even know 996.1 vs 996.2 or realize that the engine changed midway through production.

I made a comment about it earlier in this thread, but I have been looking for a 996 for about 4 years now, at varying degrees of seriousness depending on what was going on in my life. My musts were always 6 speed and not achromatic. My preferences were always early car, LSD, sports seats, M030, coupe, C2, and good maintenance. Color was probably my second most important factor after manual, and I didn't care about the color being rare, just that I liked it. I did not care one bit about mileage, so long as maintenance and price reflected it. But depending on how badly I needed a car, there were times I was willing to compromise to the point I would have bought any non-silver 6 speed car. I have always been looking for a driver and I can do all of my own work, so that has definitely influenced what I am looking for. I specifically didn't want a pristine low mileage car. Thankfully, I found the right car at the right time and will be closing the deal on my 996 tomorrow, and aside from 2nd choice of exterior and interior color, it is exactly how I would have ordered a Carrera from the factory and has excellent maintenance history! Not bad for buying a 24 year old car!
The following 2 users liked this post by Type65:
bdronsick (01-26-2022), GC996 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 04:56 PM
bdronsick
Drifting

$60K asks now for standard 996 Carrera

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...435757791.html

Old 01-26-2022 | 05:25 PM
pulpo
Pro

Guards red 6mt aerokit and low miles. Looks really clean. I think his price is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the wheels but its a pretty car
The following users liked this post:
168glhs1986 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 05:33 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Beck's European ($60k car in question) is a repair shop in Scottsdale, not a dealership, so ... maybe an idealistic shop owner that knows he can sell it for that much to somebody in Snottsdale? It is a super clean car.
Lady Silver (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 05:35 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Beck's European ($60k car in question) is a repair shop in Scottsdale, not a dealership, so ... maybe an idealistic shop owner that knows he can sell it for that much to somebody in Snottsdale? It is a super clean car.
Snottsville? My goodness....
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:00 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Snottsville? My goodness....
If it makes it easier I know it as "Snobbsdale"
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:12 PM
pulpo
Pro

I went there for the first time to pick up a car in October and my mind was blown that Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale and Glendale were all really just neighborhoods of Phoenix. In my head they were all separate cities. Now I know the truth.
Old 01-26-2022 | 06:12 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

It looks like a nice one, something about a red 911 is just so perfect.
tyeske (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 01:02 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

To put the subject of Variable Valve Technology into the proper technical context and historical place, calling it "emission/EPA junk" is the biggest misnomer of the century.

Any Racer or engine builder in the 70's 80's who has ever "degree'd a high performance cam" would have given their left nut for a variable valve timing set-up to get a big edge on the competition.

Changing Cam Timing "on the fly" was stuff dreams were made from.....

Back then they would have a stack of different cams for different Tracks, and a host of cam timing tuning aids like off-set keyways of 2* 4* 6* 8* to manually advance or retard the cams 2-8* depending on the Cam and Track and manually adjustable cam gears. Changing cams and spending hours "degreeing the cam" was common place.

On my early 80's Racecar I had built a easily adjustable timing belt tensioner set-up where I could change cam timing by 10* in less than 10min, and a "trap door" in the firewall to extract the cam out of the back of the engine and change cams in 40 min.

Variable Valve Timing Technology came into the racing scene in mid 80's by Renault but was quickly BANNED by Formula 1 and NASCAR.to keep cost down and competition close. Their theory was that one team could dump a ton of money into R&D on Variable Valve Timing Technology that the other teams could not and gain an unfair advantage.

Sure the "Greenies" and EPA had a lot to do with finally getting Variable Valve Timing Technology into the main-stream automakers ( don't they always?) and the factories took advantage of the Technology to help get the fuel mileage up and emission down as well as the power increase and broad power band.

There is still a LOT of technology that hasn't yet made its way from Racing to main-stream, like the pneumatic valve springs that allow 20kRPM, or the "camshaft-less engines" that use electro-magnetic valve actuators instead of Camshafts that have infinite control over valve action . One example is the "FreeValve" by Koenisegg..

So, in no way I would think it be beneath Hans Mezger to be involved in some way with Vario-Cam,, and I have no idea what type of oil heater you are referring to he has patented on the Boxster/996, unless you are just talking about the oil cooler (heat exchanger)...

Mezger held the patent on the M96/97 Boxster/Carrera motor(s) oil-preheat system which circulated oil (via tube) through the water to pre-heat the oil before warm-up, and then cool the oil after warm-up. Pure genius!

And pretty sure Mezger had nothing whatsoever to do with Variocam on either engine (GT/Turbo or Boxster/Carrera); as his original GT1 block design (including Strassenversions) doesn't use it. I highly doubt Mezger was involved at all in retrofitting any emissions/EPA junk (IE Variocam) onto the street versions of his motor

As for the book I don't own a copy, but have read vast scanned English portions in a forum posting discussing it either here or 6speedonline; perhaps do a search??
Originally Posted by frederik
IMO it's not fair to dismiss VarioCam as emissions junk. With fixed valve timing, you either optimize for high revs (race engine, early "S") and get relatively lousy idle behavior. Or you optimize for good behavior at low and medium revs and get less efficiency and power at high revs. VarioCam lets you eat your idle cake and race it, too. And yes, you also get better emissions across the rev range: a win-win situation.
Every Porsche before Variocam was no-Variocam; I don't remember any "lousy" idle and a whole lot of them were raced

IMO Variocam is primarily a gas-mileage gimmick to appease EPA
?? The street Mezgers use Variocam; although I wish they didn't

I'm not "pushing" one technology (or one engine) over the other. I'm personally pretty much averse to ALL emissions/driving aide technology; just my opinon

Last edited by Porschetech3; 01-27-2022 at 01:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Fracture (01-27-2022), moburki (01-27-2022), VintageCollector (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 10:28 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type65
I have to agree with these observations. I have only ever met two types of 996 owners in person:

1: Those that bought the car when it was the current generation and most of these owners cared/know very little about anything beyond it's a sports car/Porsche
2. Those that bought it on a whim because they are cheap or inherited them and these owners also seemed to care very little about anything beyond it's a Porsche/performance car/status symbol they could afford.

Obviously this doesn't even come close to describing all 996 owners, and I would argue that most, if not all of us, just by virtue of being on this board actually have a true appreciation for these cars and would fall into other categories. However, in my anecdotal experience most buyers and owners don't share our appreciation for these fantastic cars, and as such don't know or care about all the little things we do. I'm sure most don't even know 996.1 vs 996.2 or realize that the engine changed midway through production.

I made a comment about it earlier in this thread, but I have been looking for a 996 for about 4 years now, at varying degrees of seriousness depending on what was going on in my life. My musts were always 6 speed and not achromatic. My preferences were always early car, LSD, sports seats, M030, coupe, C2, and good maintenance. Color was probably my second most important factor after manual, and I didn't care about the color being rare, just that I liked it. I did not care one bit about mileage, so long as maintenance and price reflected it. But depending on how badly I needed a car, there were times I was willing to compromise to the point I would have bought any non-silver 6 speed car. I have always been looking for a driver and I can do all of my own work, so that has definitely influenced what I am looking for. I specifically didn't want a pristine low mileage car. Thankfully, I found the right car at the right time and will be closing the deal on my 996 tomorrow, and aside from 2nd choice of exterior and interior color, it is exactly how I would have ordered a Carrera from the factory and has excellent maintenance history! Not bad for buying a 24 year old car!
Well, there were about 175,000 996 variants sold in North America. How many of those 996 owners are on Rennlist?

I would submit to you that almost all of those Rennlist members fall in an enthusiast catagory, so that makes us a pretty biased bunch out of the total universe of 996 owners. So, I would say your observations are pretty spot on, no?

Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the 996 world.
user 8298308 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 04:55 PM
pulpo
Pro

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20380574826...8105&customid=

Not a 996 but I had to share this spec.

Grey with a black stripe on the hood, a gold stripe on the side, black wheels, blue AND yellow calipers. wow. a little bit of everything.
Old 01-27-2022 | 05:03 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pulpo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20380574826...8105&customid=

Not a 996 but I had to share this spec.

Grey with a black stripe on the hood, a gold stripe on the side, black wheels, blue AND yellow calipers. wow. a little bit of everything.
Brings back memories. I had a stripe like that on my '61 VW!!!!
Old 01-27-2022 | 06:10 PM
bdronsick
Drifting

996 GT’s now approaching $300K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt2-22/

Prices are no longer “drifting”, I would now characterize this situation as an intergalactic launch

Old 01-27-2022 | 07:10 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

996 GT’s now approaching $300K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt2-22/

Prices are no longer “drifting”, I would now characterize this situation as an intergalactic launch
I love a good GT2, but there are sooooo many other cars in that price range I'd rather have.

Buyer appears to be building quite an investment/collection. Smart man.

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up