Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 05:39 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGoDoDo
Thank you. Already understood that and was not specific enough in my comment. I specifically meant...the importance of range 1 vs range 2 vs range....and its impact, or perceived impact, on the motor.
Sorry that was a misunderstanding and once I re-read you replied. Impact...., who really knows to be honest? I've seen a bunch of over rev reports from reading through the forums, but nothing ever indicated anyone had inherent problems even extending into range 2 outside of disastrous misshifts. Pretty sure mine has some in range 1, possibly even range 2 from when my short shift kit disassembled itself going into 3rd.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 PM
GoGoDoDo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageCollector

1) the Metzger engines are apparently super reliable and
Welcome! Trust me...I know. :-)

Originally Posted by VintageCollector
2) over rev reports are to be taken with a grain of salt and not the doom and gloom that people read into them.

In any industry where lots of money is involved (like my other collectibles industry) people tend take a small bit of into and always think the worst and it shapes the market.
Sure..not debating their "every day" value and agree they should not been seen as "doom and gloom" but in their extremes perspective buyers should evaluate.

I think we agree.

Last edited by GoGoDoDo; 01-28-2022 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VintageCollector (01-30-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:04 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 708 Posts

This car could have already been discussed; I'v had my head in the passenger footwell of my targa for the past 2 effing days and have not kept pace with the thread.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-4-31/

Sold for a very tidy sum. Apparently knowledgeable folks commented directly that the car had hit a raccoon. Seller stated that paint thickness readings indicate original paint.

Uhhhh, no. Raccoons are large animals. Big fat furry buggers. Hit a raccoon, buy a new bumper cover (for starters). Much better to assume a new, properly painted front bumper on the car, rather than original paint.

Not knocking the car in this case but I am putting the seller on my personal "beware: hijinks ahead!" watchlist.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 PM
GoGoDoDo
Instructor

Originally Posted by wdb
This car could have already been discussed; I'v had my head in the passenger footwell of my targa for the past 2 effing days and have not kept pace with the thread.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-4-31/

Sold for a very tidy sum. Apparently knowledgeable folks commented directly that the car had hit a raccoon. Seller stated that paint thickness readings indicate original paint.

Uhhhh, no. Raccoons are large animals. Big fat furry buggers. Hit a raccoon, buy a new bumper cover (for starters). Much better to assume a new, properly painted front bumper on the car, rather than original paint.

Not knocking the car in this case but I am putting the seller on my personal "beware: hijinks ahead!" watchlist.
TBH. In this market, I would have expected more from a C4. Pretty rare car. Although, the dirty carfax probably does it.

Last edited by GoGoDoDo; 01-28-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:15 PM
joetaf27
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

TBH. In this market, I would have expected more from a C4. Pretty rare car. Although, the dirty carfax probably does it.
hmmm.. I thought 34k for a multiple accident carfax report is pretty good...
Old 01-28-2022, 06:17 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,796 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Huh,, not so sure about that bold statement...

As an OEM to the VAG group and technical partner at the highest level of Porsche engine development, including the VAG groups Bugatti Veyron; there is no better choice that Schrick for your Porsche. They offer the worlds finest performance camshafts from premium blanks with complete in house R&N and manufacture from end-to-end.

We offer a variety of Schrick cams for a range of applications, these particular being the '996 Cup' replacements for the Carerra and GT3.
Talk to one of our engine consultants to guide you into the proper camshaft for your application.

Set for Fixed Timing: 996 GT3 CUP
- Intake/Left: 300* - 108 timing, 12mm lift
- Intake/Right: 300* - 108 timing, 12mm lift
- Exhaust/Left: 292* - 110 timing, 11mm lift
- Exhaust/Right: 292* - 110 timing, 11mm lift

Set for Variable Cam Timing: 996 GT3 CUP- variable cam timing
- Intake/Left: 300* - VARIABLE 122-94 timing, 12mm lift
- Intake/Right: 300* - VARIABLE 122-94 timing, 12mm lift
- Exhaust/Left: 292* - 110 timing, 11mm lift, 11mm lift
- Exhaust/Right: 292* - 110 timing, 11mm lift, 11mm lift

Notes:
To be used with Flat Tappets

Originally Posted by bdronsick
I've read from multiple internal Porsche sources that regardless of marketing, Variocam was implemented primarily to increase MPG for tightening US and Euro enviro regs

Makes sense cause the Cup & factory race cars (not subject to EPA) don't use Variocam at all

IE if Variocam net increased performance Porsche Motorsports would be using it

Just what I read, this is not an opinion ugh
joetaf27 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:17 PM
GoGoDoDo
Instructor

Originally Posted by joetaf27
hmmm.. I thought 34k for a multiple accident carfax report is pretty good...
See..end of my comment. However, in this market...
joetaf27 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 696 Posts

To used car sellers bumpers don't count as original paint and the ad said the bumpers were repainted. Apparently in Europe that doesn't count either. I'm with them. Bumpers are plastic and meant to be bumped and painted. Metal body panels only apply for me unless it's a super low mile Concours car.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Not just variable valve timing and lift (and/duration), special intake manifolds (different internal valves that change runner length and alter resonance frequencies) and exhaust systems are also designed to extract the most torque across a wide range of RPM so that engine can develop more ‘area under the curve,’ (HP) which will make these cars faster overall, even if peak HP or torque stays the same. And being more streetable at the same time. And remember, some efficiency gains can be traded for power as well. If an engine is slightly more efficient, it could actually make more power.

So variable valve timing isn’t just about fuel efficiency, it’s about many things.
VintageCollector (01-30-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:46 PM
bdronsick
Drifting

Received 878 Likes on 592 Posts

Good to know about the TT solenoids; I already knew it was far simpler on MKII but hadn’t looked at the Mezger’s

And what you’re describing about the power curve without Variocam is I believe why the other forum here abandoned the experiment; the car became too unpredictable on track, as I recall from their conversations

My interest a while back was in unplugging Vario on an MKI car with one faulty solenoid, that was misfiring badly. But I but the bullet and replaced it

Thx

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Unplugging the Vario-cam would cause fault codes for non-function. Yes would save wear on the solenoids, same as just not driving the car/starting the engine.

Unplugging the Vario -cam on 996TT would loose 150hp in mid-range while gaining 120 on top end, and a net lose of 30hp ,and end up feeling like the old 930 where the turbo hit was like a sledgehammer, nothing down low. a little in the middle, and then a big hit..I would never consider going back to that...

The solenoids and be easily replaced on the 996TT ...
Old 01-29-2022, 01:01 AM
VintageCollector
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Unplugging the Vario-cam would cause fault codes for non-function. Yes would save wear on the solenoids, same as just not driving the car/starting the engine.

Unplugging the Vario -cam on 996TT would loose 150hp in mid-range while gaining 120 on top end, and a net lose of 30hp ,and end up feeling like the old 930 where the turbo hit was like a sledgehammer, nothing down low. a little in the middle, and then a big hit..I would never consider going back to that...

The solenoids and be easily replaced on the 996TT ...
Yes! Since the last 911 Turbo I remember driving would have been a 930 in the mid 90's, I was absolutely freaking SHOCKED at how quickly the 996 TT accelerates at low RPM.

You step on it, and the thing takes off like a bat out of hell even when you're in a high gear at low RPM. 5th or 6th gear on the freeway? Floor it and the thing will accelerate from 2000 RPM faster than anything short of a true super car.

At first, I thought it was just that they managed to put small turbos into the car to limit turbo lag but now I realize that the variable valve timing has a lot to do with the engine .'coming on the cam' early and THAT eliminates a lot of the Turbo lag.

I bought the car because a good friend of mine here encouraged me to and I'm glad I did. What a car.
The following 2 users liked this post by VintageCollector:
bdronsick (01-29-2022), Snakebit (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:44 AM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Type65,fdf

Hope the purchase went thru. If so, welcome to the club!
Thanks! The purchase did go through! It is the second Porsche I have bought from a Rennlist member and the seller was great! The car exceeded expectations! And even at $10k more than the 996 I almost bought 4 years ago, I feel like I got a better deal today! I love the car and couldn't be happier! Aside from being my second choice of color, which I still love arena red, it is exactly how I would have ordered it from the factory! It is an early 99 (3/98) with LSD, Sport Seats, and M030, as well as a rebuilt engine to 3.6L with LN Nickies, IMS, and plenty of other upgrades! It'll be my daily for now, but after driving a few hundred miles in it I almost wish I didn't have my 951 track car! This is my first 911, and it is incredible!

!
The following 7 users liked this post by Type65:
168glhs1986 (01-29-2022), 501Max (01-29-2022), bdronsick (01-29-2022), Billup (01-29-2022), EVOMMM (01-29-2022), Putt-Putt (01-29-2022), stevensctt (01-29-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:53 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Be careful

Originally Posted by Billup
High mile '99 missing the 408's and ambers. Still a $20k car or maybe a $25'er?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...1-carrera-254/

No reserve nice looking 4S;
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...carrera-4s-51/

Nice driver mileage OBM;
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-175/
the seller of the high mileage red 99 it’s a little tricky. I went to his warehouse in dripping springs Texas by Austin. He had like 6 996s. I saw that red car, body look good but car was dirty. Anyway the reason we went there was to pick my friends bat purchased 993. Anyway as I had introduced my friend to my mechanic my friend took the 993 there. One panel and door had bodywork and that wasn’t disclosed in the bat auction, number two car had oil leaks. Two of the Valve cover gaskets where changed car still has a leak. So if you go to the auction you’ll see my comment stating that I would buy at a good price expecting to have to put some money into it. Seller is also shady and many times does not respond or answers questions, request. I was interested in the car because it’s only 2 and a half hours away, plus I was going to put my ambers and 408s on that Red car, so it would be 100 percent stock. Then I was going to sell it as such, it’s probably pass what I was thinking about paying for it.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:58 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,051 Likes on 2,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Type65
Thanks! The purchase did go through! It is the second Porsche I have bought from a Rennlist member and the seller was great! The car exceeded expectations! And even at $10k more than the 996 I almost bought 4 years ago, I feel like I got a better deal today! I love the car and couldn't be happier! Aside from being my second choice of color, which I still love arena red, it is exactly how I would have ordered it from the factory! It is an early 99 (3/98) with LSD, Sport Seats, and M030, as well as a rebuilt engine to 3.6L with LN Nickies, IMS, and plenty of other upgrades! It'll be my daily for now, but after driving a few hundred miles in it I almost wish I didn't have my 951 track car! This is my first 911, and it is incredible!

!
Beautiful 996! Congrats!

How about a few pictures of your 951. Got a couple of buddies that still track them. Incredible Porsches that still after 35 years are durable and fast. Got one buddy that club races the S2 which is set-up beautifully. In my avatar picture you can see his red front end.
Type65 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:22 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Gonna hijack my own thread temporarily and cross post something from the 997 forum because I'm curious what people here think of this, especially those with advanced Porsche technical knowledge. There has been a rumor/urban legend for sometime that Porsche engineers built in an undisclosed trick that allows 997.2 4s PDK cars to seamlessly convert from AWD to RWD by simply engaging the handbrake 1 click in certain modes. Though discussed and ridiculed often, nobody had posted anything definitive until this was posted a few days ago. Just curious what people think of this since I know there is ample discussion of AWD to RWD conversions in this and other forums.

(posted by @Rfjohnson )

Default 997.2 C4S to 2WD using cockpit controls2011 C4S PDK w/Sport Chrono
AWD to 2WD (rear) using cockpit controls
PDK gear shift in Auto versus Manual setting

I was able to get the front wheels disengaged (2WD rear) using the handbrake up one click (Video 1:42):

However, it took 12 configurations to find it.

For anyone who wants to sit through 4:51 of all twelve tests:

Sport Plus: ON
Stability Mgmt (PSM): OFF
Handbrake up one click

(Left PASM alone - in this case car turns it ON with Sport Plus)

Last edited by Optionman1; 01-29-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Fracture (01-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up