996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Prices Keep Drifting Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021 | 11:34 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
Suggest you go look at listings in the classifieds, but the short answer is, not much. Unless you can do the work yourself you're going to lose money, and in the end, even if you do the work yourself, you've probably still lost it (and your time).

For all the money you would spend on a 4.0, you'd be much better off in every single way just scraping together a little more money and buying a GT3.
GT3 would take a whole lot of scraping to make the jump from a C4S....

Bought my C4S with a blown motor so the 4.0 was an easy decision. As for all of the work, I'm doing it all myself (with help from a buddy) outside of the PIWIS programming, I don't have access to that tool.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 04-09-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2021 | 11:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoustonCgrBkr
This thread intrigues me. Are people wanting them as is or wanting them better sorted? Is the IMS the biggest issue? I have read a bit people are not as concerned when buying a 996 as they plan to overhaul the engine regardless. The guards red one was surprising/encouraging with the miles on the clock. I have gotten back to restoring mine. I have had a few pieces aquadipped to match the burl wood interior. I am redoing the seats and center console to give it a better look. That leaves the engine. It is a dual row with 104k, so I am at the point it is going to need a major refresh. My wife has been giving me the side eye when she has seen what Kelly Blue book has as a price and I get the “I thought this car was an investment that would not go down in price!?!”...ugh. I have owned the car and enjoyed it for almost three years now.

I am kicking around the idea of doin the LS swap to make it unique, but would it increase the value significantly?
I would plan for a $20k engine rebuild - the right way - and then you have a car that’s worth $25-$35k in the long run. Not a bad deal, assuming you didn’t pay $30k to begin with. If you paid $17-$22k to begin with, you’re only $10k high into a 911, which is not very expensive compared to any other car.

My brother-in-law thinks I’m crazy for considering a $20k motor, but I told him he’s losing more money on his Jeep in depreciation that I would spend on my car. He doesn’t get it. Run the numbers, you might find the 5-figure bills on a 996 are offset by retained value and driving pleasure, lower insurance cost.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 11:53 AM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
what do you think a 3.6--->4.0 upgrade does to the 996 value?
It depends on who does the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade.
If the work is done by a reputable shop it might increase the value.
The value will decrease if it’s done by anyone else.

Mike Murphy (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 11:53 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

The question everyone needs to ask revolve around your goal for and with your car. Are you:

(1) buying a 996 or any Porsche to own, maintain, drive and enjoy over time; or
(2) to rub it with a cotton diaper, keep it shiny and collect it to hopefully someday realize a profit (appreciation - maintenance costs); or
(3) If you are looking to buy it for a reasonable price and hope to sell it and make money over the short-term (appreciation - costs).

Option #1 above is what most of us do. We put more money into the car than what we will ever get out over time, even with appreciation.

Option #2 is what some do by buying a low production unique 996 that they barely drive which will most likely appreciate at a faster clip than higher production less unique versions. A 996 GT3 or GT3 RS is a good example.

Option #3 is a crap shoot. Good luck to those that try to do this. Especially if you do something as silly as changing it from a 996 body to a 997 or swap a flat six for an LS. Then you are hoping that a one in a million buyer comes along that wants it versus the masses that wants a legitimate model and configuration.

My choice is Option #1 because I have had my 02 since 02, and every year spend some money on replacing and upgrading parts so I can drive it above 4000 rpm locally and on the track, and even after a day at the track, I can drive my 996 home and take my wife out to dinner in it. What's better than that.
Old 04-09-2021 | 11:59 AM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GC996
My choice is Option #1 because I have had my 02 since 02, and every year spend some money on replacing and upgrading parts so I can drive it above 4000 rpm locally and on the track, and even after a day at the track, I can drive my 996 home and take my wife out to dinner in it. What's better than that.
Some of us combine options 1 and 2. I've put 11,000 miles on over 4 years, majority of that in the first two. It gets driven to events, to the golf course or tennis court, picking up dates, all that fun stuff. But at the same time, it's well taken care of and stored in the garage.

You can have your cake and eat it too, while not managing to gain 500lbs, but possibly earn a couple hundred extra bucks FOR eating all that cake. Win win.
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:02 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billup
Some of us combine options 1 and 2. I've put 11,000 miles on over 4 years, majority of that in the first two. It gets driven to events, to the golf course or tennis court, picking up dates, all that fun stuff. But at the same time, it's well taken care of and stored in the garage.

You can have your cake and eat it too, while not managing to gain 500lbs, but possibly earn a couple hundred extra bucks FOR eating all that cake. Win win.
Absolutely. Your making me hungry.
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:15 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Okay all my 996 RL experts whats market price today?

It may be sold to make room for 997 GT3

2004 996 Anniversary Edition
33k miles
7 years owned
CA car from new
No accidents, dings, dents scratches
All four pieces of luggage, key pouch and wallet
Books, records etc...
Factory car cover

IMSS done by certified shop and on File with LN
Rear main seal done along with AOS
Water pump, coil packs, sparkies, belts, air filter all done
Annual oil changes from new with invoices and Black Stone reports 7 years under my ownership

Mods done under my ownership

PSS10s - I have stock bits of course
6GT3 street alignment and ride height
6GT3 wheels polished by Al Reed - stock wheel too
6GT3 Euro seats with leather (and Alcantara insert option) - mint stock seats also
Tequipment Factory roll bar
996.2 rear wing factory - stock 911AE deck lid in storage
Fisters and stock mufflers available

2004 996 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by 996AE; 04-09-2021 at 01:13 PM.
autoRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:46 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car but no clue.
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:52 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Put it back to stock. You'd clear 60-65k for sure between the parts and the car.

Last edited by brontosaurus; 04-09-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Elumere (04-19-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 12:53 PM
autoRS
Intermediate

@996AE that is fantastic example, I think I saw you drop a hint that you were thinking of selling somewhere on here.

All I can say is that it checks more boxes for me than the 47K and 49K ones that listed and sold at dealers lately.
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:01 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

I agree with brontosaurus.. I do not think you will get the full value for some of those parts that they would sell for on their own in the parts market. Low mileage with the luggage in place and all the factory parts would make this car sell for quite a bit. BaT would give you the widest audience, but sometimes I fear what members there can do to bidding. I am sure this car would do well, but you can just never know for sure because timing of the auction as well as the member commentary play a big part.

PS - I have always drooled over your car. Wish I was in the position to make that transfer into a GT3 a quick one!
Old 04-09-2021 | 01:16 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996AE
My non-expert opinion is around $50k. Possibly more on BAT. Stunning example that honestly leaves no questions for potential buyers, well sorted & documented, low mileage, luggage....,
autoRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 03:03 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Took me a while to read this thread but it was worth it. I've been shopping around for some time for a project car and when I started shopping 911's the 996 price spike is VERY noticeable pre and post pandemic. I call it the pandemic tax. Like me, I'm sure a lot of folks aren't driving to/from work anymore and are looking for a project to keep them busy during this time. I mean, what else are you gonna do? I reached the end of the internet some time in May of 2020 so I was pretty bored. That's when I had a wild idea to remodel my garage and start working on project cars. Then I started a YouTube channel and now things have really taken off. Just a couple of days ago I found, what I believe to be, a unicorn on eBay Motors. Albeit, a unicorn that's long in the tooth and will need to be resurrected back to its former glory but one nonetheless. It's a unicorn because it was priced at a pre-pandemic level and I ended up getting it for a little over the pandemic market value. I consider that a HUGE win because of the way the car market is these days. I posted the candid video of me winning in a different thread earlier today. You should check it out.
autoRS (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 03:11 PM
targajoe
Rennlist Member

As a fellow 40AE owner, I am hoping for the moon for you. I think your car looks awesome as is. However, as others have said, if you are looking for top dollar, I would advise getting back to stock before listing anyway. I think stock cars, especially special editions bring more money vs modified. Even if the modifications are easily reversible and all stock parts are included. Folks like to see original. And you will get more by selling the mods individually, than including in the car sale. Also, for my 40AE, I have the two suitcases, but missing the key pouch and wallet so hit me up if you want to sell them

In all seriousness, though, if you took the car back to stock and listed on BaT or similar, I could see this bringing $50-55K. Perhaps a decent chunk more if you got the right bidders in the room. If I were you, I would probably not sell for less than $50K. Best of luck if you decide to sell. It will be interesting to follow.
The following 2 users liked this post by targajoe:
autoRS (04-09-2021), plpete84 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021 | 04:00 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

6GT3 wheels polished by Al Reed - stock wheel too

happen to have a better, closer pic of those polished GT3 wheels? i'd like to have a better look at those.
TheChunkNorris (04-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Prices Keep Drifting Up