Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 11:19 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
If you have access to a Porsche Piwis 2, you can run diagnostics on the Bose amp.
So i dropped by my local porsche repair shop today and he had a Bose amp with Most. Took 2 minutes and swapped them out and had to switch the head unit back to CAN then back to AMP and now all works. Except the typical it always thinks i am moving. Also it doesn't shut off with the key. I manually turn it on and off each time. Even without key i can turn it on. We tested a new ignition switch, that isn't it.
And suddenly my A/C doesn't work, my cruise control doesnt work, and I have the computer where i can select my dash display and cancel the oil measure and that doesn't work. As well as the top in motion light... I am going to disconnect the instrument cluster and reattach as well as the A/C controller (that worked saturday night) and see if that clears it. If not, my cousin has the durametric shop version and we will hook it up and see what we can see.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:54 PM
Gibtor13
4th Gear

Hi All!
I just/almost completed installation of the PCCM+ in my 2004.5 996 911 with MOST and CDR23.
I hit a snag with the no sound issue. I have read through all the manuals and forums I could find but none with my exact issue.
Has anyone experienced issues accessing the hidden volume settings? I am able to access every other setting, no in-motion issues as others have had. I use the right side **** to scroll down to "Volume" then hold with my finger on the volume button. Have held for over a minute with no change. Is this the correct procedure or am I missing a step? I have tested with the yellow plug connected and disconnected. No change in behavior.

Additionally, looking through this thread it seems to me that something may be off about my unit. When looking at the version information my AP and OS seem to be different than any other examples I have seen posted.

Any input is appreciated!!

Old 02-28-2022, 03:07 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

And to update. The new amp got the system working. But i then had dash control, cruise control issues and no A/C. After disconnecting the guage cluster and reconnecting everything worked except the A/C. My cousin has a durametric (sp?) and we reset the controller and now everything works. I also left off that the stereo did not turn off with the key. So after switching it back to CAN in the hidden volume menu, it now turns off with the key. Wish the downloadable le directions for install said to
do that!!!!!

Last edited by John Rower; 02-28-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:09 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

fresh in my mind as i did this 2 weeks ago! When you hold down the volume button it should get a ghost image going with it. If not, back out and try again. When you see the ghost image then hold until the warning screen comes up. Mine is usaully around 10 to 12 seconds. Then switch to amp and you should get sound, unless your amp was bad like mine was. When in amop, my 2003 986S would not turn off via the key. I had to go back in again and switch back to CAN and now all works perfectly.

Last edited by John Rower; 02-28-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:20 PM
Gibtor13
4th Gear

Originally Posted by John Rower
fresh in my mind as i did this 2 weeks ago! When you hold down the volume button it should get a ghost image going with it. If not, back out and try again. When you see the ghost image then hold until the warning screen comes up. Mine is usaully around 10 to 12 seconds. Then switch to amp and you should get sound, unless your amp was bad like mine was. When in amop, my 2003 986S would nbot turn off via the key. I had to go back in again and switch back to CAN and now all works perfectly.
Thanks for the reply! Will give this a shot today.
My amp seems to function properly as it works without issues when using the stock CDR23.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:41 PM
mdisalvo
8th Gear

Originally Posted by John Rower
And to update. The new amp got the system working. But i then had dash control, cruise control issues and no A/C. After disconnecting the guage cluster and reconnecting everything worked except the A/C. My cousin has a durametric (sp?) and we reset the controller and now everything works. I also left off that the stereo did not turn off with the key. So after switching it back to CAN in the hidden volume menu, it now turns off with the key. Wish the downloadable le directions for install said to
do that!!!!!
Did your factory amp crap out after installing the PCCM? I installed it in my 03 and shortly after the audio started going in/out randomly. I had my factory amp rebuilt and that fixed the issue so I'm curious if others are seeing these PCCM units frying their old amps.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:23 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

No my factory unit was working/not working/working for a while. It is what prompted me to change to this head unit. My factory Becker was flashing in and out and non responsive to commands. When i added the pccm+ i still had no sound and went to my local porsche repair shop, grabbed a bose amp with most off the shelf and hooked it up. After switching back to CAN then AMP i finally had sound. Pretty sure that means the amp was always my problem. In fact i paid for the amp by giving them the becker head unit. Later that week it was installed into a project 986 they have and it worked perfectly. I n all honesty, I wish the BOSE amp had more power though! I was driving down the highway at 80mph yesterday and ended up turning the stereo off as it couldn't overcome the wind noise. Around town and with top up it is plenty, but at highway speed with top down, well lets just say the flat 6 makes the music for me and makes me smile, cause the stereo isn't. Other than that, i have no complaints about this pccm+ head unit or my BOSE system.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:27 PM
mdisalvo
8th Gear

Agree, I do wish it had a little more power, I have a coupe but windows down I had the volume maxed out on the highway recently. Do you know if we can swap out speakers without changing the amp? I was wondering if that would help improve audio quality at all.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:58 PM
John Rower
6th Gear

I did see a you tube video of someone changing out speakers (using factory covers/mounts) so it can be done. A little soldering involved, not horrible.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:29 PM
Gibtor13
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Gibtor13
Hi All!
I just/almost completed installation of the PCCM+ in my 2004.5 996 911 with MOST and CDR23.
I hit a snag with the no sound issue. I have read through all the manuals and forums I could find but none with my exact issue.
Has anyone experienced issues accessing the hidden volume settings? I am able to access every other setting, no in-motion issues as others have had. I use the right side **** to scroll down to "Volume" then hold with my finger on the volume button. Have held for over a minute with no change. Is this the correct procedure or am I missing a step? I have tested with the yellow plug connected and disconnected. No change in behavior.

Additionally, looking through this thread it seems to me that something may be off about my unit. When looking at the version information my AP and OS seem to be different than any other examples I have seen posted.

Any input is appreciated!!

Hoping someone will have additional insight on what may be causing the issue with accessing the hidden volume menu. We have checked all connections are properly inserted and in the correct location. Have also tested with the stock radio to confirm the rest of the system works.
We are still unable to access the hidden volume menu after trying many times and variations of holding and highlighting with the scroll ****.
My neighbor had this unit that he bought but ended up selling his 996 before installing it, so it is a new system. I am hoping someone could confirm that the version information should work for my North American 996 or could share if they have similar version info?
Additionally, If anyone has an idea of who to contact for warranty work on this as my local dealers have been unhelpful in any warranty information.

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2022, 10:31 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

I have newer versions on my PCCM+ unit and I am able to access the hidden volume menu.

AP: APP 20200807 09:34

you mentioned using the **** to try and access the volume menu, have you instead tried placing your finger over the “Volume” menu item and holding on it for ~10 seconds? That is how I access it.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Gibtor13
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Body In White;[url=tel:18017262
18017262[/url]]I have newer versions on my PCCM+ unit and I am able to access the hidden volume menu.

AP: APP 20200807 09:34

you mentioned using the **** to try and access the volume menu, have you instead tried placing your finger over the “Volume” menu item and holding on it for ~10 seconds? That is how I access it.
Thanks for confirming the version info. Seems like mine is outdated, maybe there is a different location for the volume hidden menu.

I did try holding my finger on it multiple times now. The odd thing is that I can access all other hidden menus by holding my finger on “Version Info” or “Factory Reset”. Just not the volume menu, which I believe the settings in there will fix my no sound issue.

Going to contact more Porsche dealers to see if a software update is available.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibtor13
Thanks for confirming the version info. Seems like mine is outdated, maybe there is a different location for the volume hidden menu.

I did try holding my finger on it multiple times now. The odd thing is that I can access all other hidden menus by holding my finger on “Version Info” or “Factory Reset”. Just not the volume menu, which I believe the settings in there will fix my no sound issue.

Going to contact more Porsche dealers to see if a software update is available.
Good luck trying to get an update. Most, if not all the dealerships are clueless. Nevertheless, please let us know if you are successful.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:40 PM
Mike Scotland
2nd Gear

I did a self-install of this on my new (to me) C4S last week. Apart from the usual fun of fishing cables to/from the A pillar, the installation was pretty straightforward.

I have one issue post-install and that is I get a random, audible "beep" whenever the unit is in use. It doesn't matter what source is playing, but its driving me mad!

I've checked that everything is connected to the right place and every function is working ok, so I'm a bit at a loss. Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:54 PM
Joey996
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I almost have mine installed in my 99. What is this wire? Guessing a ground but want to make sure. Coming from the cigarette lighter harness on passenger side.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND