996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 12:52 PM
PizzaFiend
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone discovered how to, or if you can, get rid of the text warning about connecting external devices, etc. that displays after the Porsche crest image upon every boot up?
Old 07-31-2022, 04:50 PM
db984
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdrem00
Can anyone confirm that wireless android auto will or will not work with PCCM+, say with the Motorola MA1 unit. I have 02 996 Turbo. Works fine with wired connection.
I have this unit:
https://shop.aawireless.io/

Had it for a few months now, and its been flawless. Only note is that I set the standby in the PCCM+ settings to none. This cuts power to the usb port when you turn the car off, which releases the connection immediately. With standby on the adapter remains powered, and the phone doesn't disconnect from the car for several minutes which I found pretty annoying.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:06 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Just installed the PCCM Plus into my 2003 996 Turbo. Install was pretty straight forward. I also installed the Sirius SX adapter SXV300. Radio works, sounds great. The CarPlay and the Sirius both are having problems, similar to problems I’ve read on the UK forums with people having their digital stations go on and off. The CarPlay will connect/disconnect every couple of seconds and my Sirius goes in and out sporadically, sometimes as often as every couple of seconds. I purchased it from Suncoast and called them today. They said I would have to take it to a local Porsche dealer to have them diagnose it and warranty it. I’ve checked and double checked all connections and everything is pushed in all the way. Before I call the dealer and setup an appointment, does anyone have any ideas? After reading pretty much all of the threads on the forums, it seems there is a lot of hit and miss with this unit, making me regret not going with an aftermarket unit.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 PM
db984
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche didn't get this 100% right,- but pretty much nobody has. The Tesla forums, for example, are full of people complaining they have to reboot their phone, turn bluetooth on and off again, reboot the car, remove special characters from people in their contacts because the tesla would choke on the the special characters and lose connection when syncing contacts, change to a different phone, etc, etc, etc. Ditto for any manufacturer you choose, factory installed, or aftermarket. Some are better than others, but they all seem to have users with issues.

And so, for what its worth, most of the various 'hit and miss' issues the unit has are present in other units as well, and a number of the issues on the forums here are precisely because of prior aftermarket modifications.

Anyway are you by chance having sirius issues when carplay is also plugged in, or even when a phone is not attached to carplay? Or vice versa -- is carplay acting up if the Sirius unit is not plugged in? It could be just one interface is having an issue, but causing both connections to reset.

Have you tried rebooting your phone? (obvious question i know) I'd also suggest trying a wireless carplay adapter especially if you were thinking of going that route anyway. For my part, I did have a few connectivity glitches when i was using my phone plugged into the unit, and i suspect that it was due to the usb connection resetting / reconnecting / renegotiating power etc because the phone jostled a little when driving -- at least, that's one theory. I haven't had any issues since switching to a wireless adapter which is more securely planted than my phone was (and the wireless adapter likely draws a lot less power than my phone trying to charge itself -- and that might also be related)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:26 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
So, I haven’t driven the car yet. I simply have it started either in the garage or the driveway (for Sirius satellite connection). I didn’t have the phone hooked up while doing the Sirius and I do have a wireless CarPlay adapter but it won’t work because the connection for the Appleplay won’t stay on long enough

I may try a factory reset on the PCCM Plus to see if that makes a difference. I just don’t know what the dealership will do for me, esp since I installed it. I’m sure they would use that as an excuse to not warranty it.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:30 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

I should note, the satellite strength meter never goes below 1 bar. Two of my other cars of Sirius and also never lose connection at my house. And the wireless CarPlay adapter works in my other car, which has CarPlay. Just to rule out possibilities.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:31 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I've read where some people just had everything start working without any changes. Welp, group me in with that. Out of the blue, carplay and sirius are both working. I won't question it or complain. It works, I'm happy.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:46 PM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve now read through most of the threads here on the PCCM Plus but so far have not come across a solution to my problem - no sound.

Car is a 2003 Turbo, US model. Originally had CDR23, CD changer and Bose. I bought a used PCM2 shortly after buying the car (PCCM Plus not available back then), swapped it for the CDR23 and it worked fine (did not go to Porsche to have it coded into the car).

Finally but the bullet on the PCCM Plus few weeks back as modern tech, look and CarPlay seemed nice to have. Had my independent Porsche shop put it in as they had the car anyway for a few days for new coilovers. Installation is done, all I tried seems to work (unit finds digital radio stations, CarPlay / navigation is working fine), however there is no sound

I have the Porsche instructions here, checked everything today myself and it looks like everything was done correctly.

Any guesses on what could be the reason for not having sound? It is not the CAN/AMP switch as the car has MOST - tried both settings today regardless but did not make a difference
Old 09-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sPaCePiR8
I’ve now read through most of the threads here on the PCCM Plus but so far have not come across a solution to my problem - no sound.

Car is a 2003 Turbo, US model. Originally had CDR23, CD changer and Bose. I bought a used PCM2 shortly after buying the car (PCCM Plus not available back then), swapped it for the CDR23 and it worked fine (did not go to Porsche to have it coded into the car).

Finally but the bullet on the PCCM Plus few weeks back as modern tech, look and CarPlay seemed nice to have. Had my independent Porsche shop put it in as they had the car anyway for a few days for new coilovers. Installation is done, all I tried seems to work (unit finds digital radio stations, CarPlay / navigation is working fine), however there is no sound

I have the Porsche instructions here, checked everything today myself and it looks like everything was done correctly.

Any guesses on what could be the reason for not having sound? It is not the CAN/AMP switch as the car has MOST - tried both settings today regardless but did not make a difference
I would disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes then reconnect. Should reset things. MAYBE amp is not connected properly?? Check amp fuse?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:39 AM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

PCM2 in place of CDR23 - did you have to do anything other than install and connect harnesses to get it to work? If plug and play - I would be interested in your PCM2..

-Tom
Old 09-06-2022, 09:09 AM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Originally Posted by tommelton
PCM2 in place of CDR23 - did you have to do anything other than install and connect harnesses to get it to work? If plug and play - I would be interested in your PCM2..

-Tom
Aside from the work "around", i.e. putting the A/C control into the bottom console, adding GPS antenna etc. - yes, it was completely plug&play. If you have it coded into the system at Porsche, this will get you nav directions in the central display as well, but is not necessarily needed.
Happy to DM about my PCM2, however I am based in Europe (Munich) so not sure whether shipping plus potential import duties would make that a worthwhile transaction

Originally Posted by Dranon
I would disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes then reconnect. Should reset things. MAYBE amp is not connected properly?? Check amp fuse?
Thanks for the suggestions, sadly same issue as before. All fuses are good.

I had another look at the instruction manual and got confused about the part of needing to attach a ground cable to the amp and changing PIN 17. It says this applies to 1997-2001 cars without MOST or with amp. Now, my car has MOST and an amp as part of the digital Bose system. Is it now needed to add the ground line and change pin 17 or not?

EDIT: having had another look at the car, it seems the new ground line to the amp is added (brown cable left side of the picture with the white label attached to it) but it's attached directly to the amp, instead of swapped for pin 17. Anyone recognises this view from their installations?

Last edited by sPaCePiR8; 09-06-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 AM
kilsoj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

i think you are in the same boat as I am - my car had pcm 2 and Bose and most, and also no sound

2003 model turbo

when I have dug a little deeper was build date 2002 - which seems to make a difference

according to Porsche the amp needs grounded - which I tried - but no luck

literally left the car with Porsche Belfast there now will see how they get on and let you know
Old 09-09-2022, 05:38 AM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Aside from the work "around", i.e. putting the A/C control into the bottom console, adding GPS antenna etc. - yes, it was completely plug&play. If you have it coded into the system at Porsche, this will get you nav directions in the central display as well, but is not necessarily needed.
Happy to DM about my PCM2, however I am based in Europe (Munich) so not sure whether shipping plus potential import duties would make that a worthwhile transaction

Thanks for the suggestions, sadly same issue as before. All fuses are good.

I had another look at the instruction manual and got confused about the part of needing to attach a ground cable to the amp and changing PIN 17. It says this applies to 1997-2001 cars without MOST or with amp. Now, my car has MOST and an amp as part of the digital Bose system. Is it now needed to add the ground line and change pin 17 or not?

EDIT: having had another look at the car, it seems the new ground line to the amp is added (brown cable left side of the picture with the white label attached to it) but it's attached directly to the amp, instead of swapped for pin 17. Anyone recognises this view from their installations?
Brief update here - had some time yesterday to check the whole installation - everything seems to be done according to the manual, including the ground line connection to the amp which I questioned in my earlier post. I noticed that the pin 17 was "empty" before the ground line was put in, which left me a little puzzled as the instructions said it was the DSP cable originally in that spot. Generally, the connector looks quite empty on my car with only three cables as opposed to the ~18 shown in various pictures, including the instruction manual.

Seems I will need to bite the bullet and have Porsche look at it...
Old 09-30-2022, 05:09 PM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Had Porsche look at my PCCM Plus issue (everything works but no sound). Turns out the MOST box that came with my unit was faulty. They replaced it on warranty and everything should be working now (due to pick up the car next week)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:49 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Something to be aware of: If you have the wireless charging from Renn, it interferes with carplay wireless adapters. My phone had to be by the center console area in order to use the wireless Carplay. Disconnect the wireless charging and voila, no problems.

Also, my carplay adapter that came with the PCCM Plus was defective.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus