996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Repairing the “black foam coming out of vent” issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023 | 07:43 PM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by khyatt
Just wrapped up the repair using the 3d printed plugs and it was honestly not that bad. The worst part was cleaning the foam and residue on the doors. In hindsight, mine weren't that bad, and I'd probably leave it until more of the foam had deteriorated. We'll have to see how it affects the heating and cooling now, but this is definitely not something to be afraid of tackling if you're on the fence.
What adhesive if any did you use on the plugs ? Or do they actually snap in ? I bought two sets of plugs off fleabay for my two cars but haven't attempted the repair yet .
Old 01-21-2023 | 07:46 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996C438
What adhesive if any did you use on the plugs ? Or do they actually snap in ? I bought two sets of plugs off fleabay for my two cars but haven't attempted the repair yet .
I had purchased RTV to use but after snapping one of the plugs in, and trying to pop it back out with my fingers, I opted to just put them all in dry. The fit feels plenty strong, and if it's not and I have to go in and do the job again in a year or something, I'll probably either buy some panel bond or some window-weld to stick them in.
Old 01-21-2023 | 07:48 PM
bmchan
Racer

Just wrapped up the repair using the 3d printed plugs and it was honestly not that bad. The worst part was cleaning the foam and residue on the doors. In hindsight, mine weren't that bad, and I'd probably leave it until more of the foam had deteriorated. We'll have to see how it affects the heating and cooling now, but this is definitely not something to be afraid of tackling if you're on the fence.
Did you approach from the front or rear (that came out wrong - oh well).
Old 01-21-2023 | 07:50 PM
996C438
Burning Brakes

I had purchased RTV to use but after snapping one of the plugs in, and trying to pop it back out with my fingers, I opted to just put them all in dry. The fit feels plenty strong, and if it's not and I have to go in and do the job again in a year or something, I'll probably either buy some panel bond or some window-weld to stick them in.
Did you repair both doors ? If yes did you access both from inside ? Thanks
Old 01-21-2023 | 08:03 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Yep, did both doors by going through the interior of the car with the radio out. Wasn't super challenging, but I did have to move the doors a bunch to get everywhere, which if I wasn't a giant human with big hands, I probably wouldn't have had to do so much.
Old 01-21-2023 | 08:41 PM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Yep, did both doors by going through the interior of the car with the radio out. Wasn't super challenging, but I did have to move the doors a bunch to get everywhere, which if I wasn't a giant human with big hands, I probably wouldn't have had to do so much.
Thanks for the follow up answers , very helpful . 👍
Old 02-22-2023 | 11:02 AM
waterski56
4th Gear

Default Black Foam Repair - Pass Kick Panel removal

I have a 2002 Carrera 4 Cab. To get at the screw in the bottom of the duct holding the lower bushing, I have a large, carpeted, kick panel in the way in the passenger's footwell (houses some plastic box with wires connected to it). I was able to get the 6mm screw out at the forward end of the panel, but the back of the panel is held solid. Anyone know how to free up this panel? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2023 | 12:40 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waterski56
I have a 2002 Carrera 4 Cab. To get at the screw in the bottom of the duct holding the lower bushing, I have a large, carpeted, kick panel in the way in the passenger's footwell (houses some plastic box with wires connected to it). I was able to get the 6mm screw out at the forward end of the panel, but the back of the panel is held solid. Anyone know how to free up this panel? Thanks.
The plastic box is your subwoofer. When you pull it out, flip it over and check the condition of the speaker cone. If it's bad, it can easily be replaced versus buying an entire new subwoofer from Porsche. The same woofer is used in a Mercedes R230 and can be found easily and cheaply on eBay. Just search for the Bose part number.

There is also a drain that runs directly underneath it. Ensure it isn't clogged.

In order to remove it, there is one additional screw towards the rear of the car (you have removed the front one).

The screw is located sort in the middle of the box. You will need to peel back the carpet trim piece a bit to uncover it. I don't have a great picture, but in this link you can see at least what the box looks like removed:

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/por...SABEgI11_D_BwE

Last edited by Idaho911; 02-23-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2023 | 08:55 PM
waterski56
4th Gear

Thanks! I was able to get it out with your help..
Old 02-23-2023 | 07:14 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by waterski56
Glad to hear you found the second screw! That thing bedeviled me for hours before I finally pulled the carpet back far enough and found the dang screw.
Old 02-27-2023 | 01:59 PM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

What is the preferred foam for the job. It looks like @AMCPILOT uses a frost king brand. I picked up
Frost King Available V447H Camper Mounting Tape 1-1/4-Inch by 3/16-Inch Frost King Available V447H Camper Mounting Tape 1-1/4-Inch by 3/16-Inch
. Seems similar but not exactly what others in this thread have used.

Old 02-27-2023 | 04:07 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
What is the preferred foam for the job. It looks like @AMCPILOT uses a frost king brand. I picked up Frost King Available V447H Camper Mounting Tape 1-1/4-Inch by 3/16-Inch. Seems similar but not exactly what others in this thread have used.
I did exactly the same thing (found it at Rural King) and had the same concern. Seemed adequate, but I could peel it off with some effort. I cut a piece of aluminum step flashing (under a buck at Lowes), scuffed both surfaces and glued it to the flap with a film JB Weld, let it set overnight. I tested several adhesives to improve the adhesion of the tape and found what worked best was just a light skim of liquid CA glue, then peal and stick the foam -very secure. Be sure to wrap the foam around the edge of the flap to fill the gap. Works great. I'm indebted to AMCPILOT and others who perfected this repair method..
The following users liked this post:
Stazza (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023 | 04:15 AM
Stazza
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
What is the preferred foam for the job. It looks like @AMCPILOT uses a frost king brand. I picked up Frost King Available V447H Camper Mounting Tape 1-1/4-Inch by 3/16-Inch. Seems similar but not exactly what others in this thread have used.
I made a video documenting my process, and I used this product with good results:

Amazon Amazon

heres the video, in case it helps:

The following users liked this post:
F. Thumb (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023 | 08:07 AM
supertreeman
Advanced

I used Dynamatt on mine since I had a bunch of it from a project. Sticks really well and should outlast the car
Old 02-28-2023 | 08:52 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supertreeman
I used Dynamatt on mine since I had a bunch of it from a project. Sticks really well and should outlast the car
Any concerns or experiencing the smell of the butyl adhesive backing on the dynamatt, especially when the heat is blasting?

Quick Reply: Repairing the “black foam coming out of vent” issue